Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Montana_2832

M.O.C. #2832
big sky 3280 pin position

the fifth wheel king pin sets almost even with the front of the nose of the trailer on most of the trailer I have looked at the king pin extend past the front of the trailer. is there a extender or a need to extend the king pin?
I will be pulling this with a 2500 dodge quad cab short bed.
any suggestions

thanks randal

Montana_2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Extended pin boxes make maneuvering with a short bed truck better but are no replacement for a sliding hitch (manual or automatic). The extended boxes do put a little more stress on the trailer frame but the mfg approves them.

I changed to a shorter box, it's actually 8" shorter than the extended one that originally was on my trailer.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
WElcome to MOC.

If you look at the front shell it is curved so that gives you some leeway before hitting the cab.

I would recommend a pullrite or slider hitch for your short bed. The pullrite will automatically adjust so you don't hit your cab. With the slider you have to manually engage it when making sharp turns.

I get close to 85 degrees without the slider on level road. But I always engage the slider when backing in for peace of mind. Buy the pullrite if you can afford it or a slider hitch.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Our 03 3280RL came from the factory with the extended hitch pin. The Montana brouchure said it was not recommended on units over 34 ft. They may have changed this since 03. Our truck is a LB, so no problems.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the Superglide 16K hitch in my Chevy shortbed and would not be without it. As mentioned, it is fully automatic and well worth the money in my opinion. Now dont quote me to this but I remember reading somewhere an email sent out by Keystone to all their dealerships informing them they would need to go with a sliding hitch in the Dodge shortbed trucks due to location of the rear axle. The hitch would need to be mounted closer to the cab thus not allowing for corners to be made without contact between the cab and the coach. Double check with your dealership. In answer to your question about extended king pins, my 3400RL came standard with the extended kingpin. Sure helps making getting into tight spaces easier.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with getting a slider for the shortbox. We did. The automatic slider is the best choice but pricey. Some of us have the manual sliders.

Our Montana has the extended pinbox but the pincenter is at least a couple inches behind the leading edge of the nose so I'd guess yours is the same. With the slider and the curved nose on the Montana you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on it so you know when you need to get out and pop the slider (if a manual one like mine). Or pop it every time if you prefer. For the record, we've towed fifthwheels with a shortbox truck since early 1996 and I've had to use the slider just four times. And that includes 22 months of fulltiming. The Montana nose really makes a difference.

Welcome aboard, Randal.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We have the Pullrite SuperGlide and think it's well worth the expense (about $2200 installed). You never have to remember to slide it back, nor do you have to go out in inclement weather to do it.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Sounds like you already have the extended pin... if not... it would be back 12 to 15 inches behind the front of the fiberglass nose.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:06 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As Gruffy said "Sounds like you already have the extended pin..."
With your short bed I would also recommend a sliding hitch and in particular the Pullrite Superglide.
The Superglide is automatic and takes away any chance of forgeting to pull any lever to slide the hitch. Yes, they are expensive but with the conventional sliding hitch you only need to forget once and the damage that can be done would have paid for the Superglide. The additional cost of this "automatic hitch" is totally offset by the peace of mind that I don't have to remember to pull some lever prior to backing or making that hard U-turn.

PullRite Superglide
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote