Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Dometic Penguin A/C

I just ordered a 13.5K BTU Penguin for the second A/C unit on our 2005 3500RL. The Montana has the prep package for the second A/C.
I plan to install the Penguin myself and have read the installation instructions on Dometics web site. The installation doesn't appear to be too complicated.
Having been an aircraft mechanic for 35+ years, I don't anticipate a problem, however is there any "insider" tricks or things to watch out for?
Now, if I can just figure out how to get that bird to fly up onto the roof!
Thanks

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You will have no trouble, the adjustment on the bolts that tighten the unit down are clear, just follow them and you will be fine. Like you said the 'Gitten her up there' is the issue. All those guys you helped move need to do some pay back now. Two on the two ladders, and two on the roof would be nice. Put cardboard and an old blanket on the roof to protect it, also the sharp metal edges will slice your fingers, so be careful. When did they stop de-burring parts? I know you as an aircraft mechanic will relate to that!
Good luck, Jim
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
I just installed that exact unit on my new 344 RET mountaineer. It went really well once I got it on the roof. I used a combination of pulleys to hoist it up with my ATV winch from the peak of my parking shed, then just pulled the unit up a few feet and let it down on the roof. The only other difficulty I ran into was that the 2 bolts that secure the front were almost too short to reach the threaded holes due to the roof thickness and the foam seal being stiff. I had to reach up into the unit and pull down on the A/C to compress the foam seal enough to get the bolts started.

Bryan
bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I did my myself as well. I first laid down the cardboard from the AC itself on top of my dinette slide. Took ladder out beside the dinette slide carried up the AC laid it on top of cardboard and then went on top of roof, Onto slide got it and placed it into the vent hole and took it from there. Not real hard job, only part was I did it in middle of hot July day.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote