Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Watch your fuel line fittings for leaks; and change your filters sooner. Seems like that was the guist of most posts on the diesel forums. The ULSD cleans out the gunk left behind (hence needing to change your filters) and some gasket materials may be a little too brittle / dry and might seap. Looking at the Dodge and Ford forums I frequent I don't see anything recent at all with anyone complaining of any problems of any type other than some fuel filters needing to be changed sooner than normal. A couple of other things I noticed is a lot of people posting that they are adding diesel fuel supplements to improve the lubrication capability of the ULSD. The new stuff doesn't lube the fuel injector pumps as well as the older LSD (500 PPM) stuff did so they are adding various brands of additives (Power Service, Standyne, etc.) to their fuel. I did see quite a few older posts from the winter where folks were complaining and stating that the fuel gelled at a warmer temperature so they were also adding anti-gel in the winter time.

Again, during my quick looksee at the forums,I didn't see any posts of engine performance problems or damages being done.
Hope this helps.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Patty,
For me that meant I have started using GM Diesel Fuel conditioner with every fill up. The long-term effects of the new fuel in our LB7 motors will not show for many years or miles to come. Just a great deal of speculation out there right now.

Brad,
Your right, I think that about covers 30 states still. Most of the places still selling LSD fuel are buying the remaining reserves that had already been produced. I try and fill up with LSD every chance I get...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, here's a question. Everything I have read on ULSD says that the loss of lubricity is negated by the addition of additives at the refinery (not sure it's the refinery) and thus there is no net loss of lubricity.

Therefore, is there really a valid reason to add additional additives to the tank other than peace of mind? Is it really necessary or is it just wasting money? There's always the risk someone screwed up and didn't add the additives but there's also the chance someone forgot to put the Vitamin D in the milk I just bought. Thoughts?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #24
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Thanks to you all for explaining.

Is this why I only got 14.8 MPG instead of my usual 19 MPG. Of course that's when not towing. We did tow the Montana about 18 miles but taking two gallons away for that and those miles away from the equation I come up with the same MPG. That may not be the right way to do it, but regardless I think my mileage is way down? I have to confess I only check periodically.

Again thanks everyone for your answers.

Dave, interesting on the additives. How much do they run, and how do they effect the already high fuel prices in the large scheme of things.

I would love to know the answer to Steve's question too.

Skypilot, I will have to get Dick to do those things...I don't know where most of those are except under the body to the truck.

I don't know about this past winter, the truck didn't get used much.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
I am going to put this into the "personal choice" category. It all comes back to opinion and trust of the fuel distributer.

Here are my reasons for running the additive: 1. I don't trust the long-term effects on my motor with the new fuel. 2. I lost over 3 mpg when I started using ULSD fuel. The loss of "towing power" was noticeable for me. 3. Once I started using the additive, I have recovered the 3 mpg plus a bit more.Now having said all that, I do not have the "updated" diesel that requires 15ppm fuel. If I did, as your new Dodge does, I would probably not run the additive. I started the additive back in October on my way home from Goshen,IN once I noticed the effect the ULSD fuel had on my truck.

Patty,
Cost of the GM additive is $6 a bottle which is good for 30 gallons. After I average out my additional fuel economy, the additive actually pays for itself and I profit roughly $2-4 a tank.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #26
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve - Per local major brand dealer (who does bulk deliveries for construction crews around these parts, the additive is added by the driver of the large tanker while filling tanker at the bulk wholesale point for delivery to the selling station/using customer. When I pressed him further as to how, he said the wholesale plant had side by side hoses and as the diesel was being put into his large tanker, the additives specific to the selling station brand were being added. Wouldn't go more in depth than that. I did make a comment to the effect of -- then if I gas er - fuel at Shell I'm getting different additives than if I fuel at the local Quick Shop (Phillips 66 around here). Said 'Probably so'..... In an much earlier comment on another thread I made a snide comment about 'do we really trust the driver to get it put in correctly?' Now I feel it may be even more iffy -- who knows if the additive is really going in at all and in what quantity per gallon. Would love it if someone who actually drives one of those things for a living would chime in -- the driver / owner I spoke with was really hesitant to open up with me on this topic: one - he knows I probably have some alterior motive to ask in the first place, second - that I have a habit of passing on what he tells me and third, I wonder how much of it is 'corporate or business edge' type stuff. In any case, I agree it is more piece of mind for me than scientific proof at this point.

Dick & Patty: Bottle of PowerService white bottle costs $14 or so at Wally World; treats 5 tanks of fuel so breaks out to a little over $2.50 per tank. Winter a little higher as I go 4 tanks to a bottle to gain the Anti-Gel and higher cetane results.

One other thing I forgot earlier - winter blend fuel-- Diesel #1 doesn't burn as hot / well as Diesel #2 (summer). You will see a fairly significant reduction in mileage in winter and in spring until you get that #1 burned off.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote