Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #21
Willrobe

M.O.C. #22767
Yes ,but you don’t have to try to Squeeze your 40 ft 5r into a local mom and pop either.

Willrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #22
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Exactly my point. I only cited one example of how the claimed savings may not materialize as stated. You still have to do the math before you buy to determine whether or not you will save any money or how much if you do. I'm not saying there isn't a place for the TSD card in your planning... jus that you have to carefully weigh apples to apples and account for convenience and out of your way travel to get better prices etc. before saying that the TSD card is this panacea for fuel savings. It is still buyer beware.
Agreed especially in California fuel cost is all over the place, here in the NW the Truck stops are very competitive.

The other major benefit I think also mentioned is better fuel quality considering the volume the Truck stops do.

For us we have a 46-Gal Aux tank that puts us at 80 gal so I top off before we leave anywhere or at least plan our fuel stops for the cheapest since we have 600-800 mile range towing.

However like others have said even if there was NO discount I would still use it for the convenience alone.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #23
indiana lineman

M.O.C. #24088
Convenience alone is enough for me. Who hasn't pulled off the highway for a low price fill up to discover the station is 5 miles down through town or has no room to navigate the size of a large 5th wheel.
indiana lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #24
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Thanks for the information on what looks to be a great card for saving on Diesel. Sure puts a hole in the "but truck stops are more expensive" argument!! Now we can get fuel at the lowest cost in town at a place that was designed for larger vehicles. No worries about hitting the roof on an awning or driving in the traffic of an unfamiliar town!!!!

Heck we do business with 3 banks and have 8 accounts. We pay everything online. We haven't written a check in the last 5-6 years! If someone insists on cash or check we either don't do business with them or get a money order.

With everything setup properly you can leave the country on vacation with no worries about the bills being paid. Since it is all tracked and you can look at everything on your cell phone (my bank accounts open with fingerprint---easy easy but secure) it makes it very easy to catch any issues.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #25
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I know there has been a little discussion regarding this however there is not a dedicated thread for the TSD Fuel Card.

As some of you know large trucking companies have contracts with truck stop fuel stations like Loves, Flying J, Pilot and others. They get serious discounts when fueling Typically $.30 - $.50 per gallon discounts, this is from the volume buying power they have.

A company TSD Logistics (40 year old company) based in Texas has a program that allows small independent truckers, small trucking companies and yes RV-er's to join and take advantage of the same Diesel group
buying discounts the large trucking companies enjoy.

It is a very simple concept you apply online, within 1 Week TSD will call to verify you are a real person and get your banking info and then they will send you your Fuel Debit card that will be linked to you personal checking account.

You will then pull up to the commercial pumps use your debit card (like any other card you used in the past) it will show you the published "cash" price and that is all you will see at the pump. Once you are done you go into the TSD/EFS app on your phone and it will show you the discount and what you actually paid and it will show you the discount.

Now whatever the discount is TSD will take 10% so say the discount was $.40 per gallon TSD will take $.04 and then the funds will be taken out of your checking account in a day or two less the 10% TSD fee.

Also you know when you pull up to the pumps and they ask for a "Control Number" and you do not have one so you have to go inside and pre pay. well with the TSD card you get a Control Number so this will eliminate that hassle also.

I have now had my Card for two months used it twice Saved $.34 and $.35 (after TSD 10%), both were at Loves.

There is a place on the application for a referral you can use "lightsout" however it is not a requirement.

Here is a great video that also explains how it works (skip to 8:50 on video).

Just signed up and used you as my referral....your welcome . Said they will call me in a few days to get banking details . Hope it all works out. Thanks for posting.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #26
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
Probably worth getting for when I'm traveling down the interstate, problem with the big truck stops is the run up to 20% biofuel you get worse mileage and according to dodge you have to change your fuel filters more often. And where I'm at in Texas prices vary $0.70 right now it's $2.39 at my local station.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Thanks for the information on what looks to be a great card for saving on Diesel. Sure puts a hole in the "but truck stops are more expensive" argument!! Now we can get fuel at the lowest cost in town at a place that was designed for larger vehicles. No worries about hitting the roof on an awning or driving in the traffic of an unfamiliar town!!!!

Heck we do business with 3 banks and have 8 accounts. We pay everything online. We haven't written a check in the last 5-6 years! If someone insists on cash or check we either don't do business with them or get a money order.

With everything setup properly you can leave the country on vacation with no worries about the bills being paid. Since it is all tracked and you can look at everything on your cell phone (my bank accounts open with fingerprint---easy easy but secure) it makes it very easy to catch any issues.
I could not agree more, I cannot even remember the last check I wrote, even my business we do all transactions electronically. Other than the rare card compromise (where the bank always reimbursed us) it has been smooth sailing.

You are right the fact that you are typically notified of electronic transactions almost immediately, most fraud is caught immediately.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #28
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Thought I would post a fuel receipt to demonstrate the Savings of the TSD Fuel card.

This is the screen shot from the TSD/EFS app on my phone which you get immediately after fueling, so you know your savings right away.

The Fuel cost was $2.999 (basically $3 per gallon) the Cash Price (who carry's cash anymore) was $2.939 after fueling the TSF/EFS app showed I actually paid $2.539.

I saved $0.46 less the TSD fee of 10% net savings. My net savings was $0.414 per gallon.

I should also note I did a 20 miles search on Gas Buddy looking for the cheapest Diesel prices.

Pilot/Flying J $2.99 This is where I fueled, this is the pre-discounted price

The next closest low price was at $3.09, The area average is $3.25 per gallon

Old 02-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #29
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
The discount at Love's is even better, around $.60/gal, always my first choice. Pilot/Flying J is second best but still substantial.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #30
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
The discount at Love's is even better, around $.60/gal, always my first choice. Pilot/Flying J is second best but still substantial.
All the stations in our area are $2.73, Sheets is .2cents cheaper with their credit card. All the truck stops are up to .43 Cents more, so what savings? But I guess you get to spend the night there for free.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #31
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
I am interested in this program but I am hesitant about signing up for it. This is why...

Has anybody had any experience in the new security features on the debit/credit cards that are issued? The part that you can turn the card on/off. If there is a purchase made, I see that it would not be drafted for 1-3 days following the transaction. If the security on the account is turned on ( card is off), no transactions would go thru the bank, resulting in a NSF charge of $30 on top of the fuel purchase. Is this the case? I like having the security of being able to secure my accounts and I don't want to leave it active for up to 3 days after a transaction, but it seems that this would not work.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #32
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
I am interested in this program but I am hesitant about signing up for it. This is why...

Has anybody had any experience in the new security features on the debit/credit cards that are issued? The part that you can turn the card on/off. If there is a purchase made, I see that it would not be drafted for 1-3 days following the transaction. If the security on the account is turned on ( card is off), no transactions would go thru the bank, resulting in a NSF charge of $30 on top of the fuel purchase. Is this the case? I like having the security of being able to secure my accounts and I don't want to leave it active for up to 3 days after a transaction, but it seems that this would not work.
There is an app for the card which instantly shows when it is used. And if your like us we check our bank accounts daily so not much chance of a charge we don't know about fairly quick. Since our phones have fingerprint security it is a matter of a few seconds for us to check balances.

To assure minimal loss on any of our cards, we have multiple bank accounts and only put a limited amount of funds in our "spending" accounts that we use for things outside of our bills (like fuel and meals). Our bills are paid out of a separate auto draft account with automatic transfers out of our main account such that we are never short on the funds to pay our routine bills (like truck note and electricity-which is levelized). Overall our finances are just about totally automated.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #33
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Got the card on Monday, plan on using it tomorrow.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #34
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Should get mine in the next week or so.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
Old 02-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #35
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Got the card on Monday, plan on using it tomorrow.
Let us know the savings you receive...
Old 02-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #36
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Mine should come in the next week.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #37
Mike639
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19743
Got my card last week...already saving money.

Thanks OP

ps-I used you as my referral. Enjoy the $25 credit once I hit the 100 gallon mark.
Mike639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #38
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Just now got my card. Have to call to set up phone app next I guess. Will be used mostly for travel since I don't have a truck stop near me. But since it was free I'll still be ahead on the road.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
Old 02-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #39
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
Just now got my card. Have to call to set up phone app next I guess. Will be used mostly for travel since I don't have a truck stop near me. But since it was free I'll still be ahead on the road.
There's nothing to set up on the app. Just log in with the information provided that came with your card. Just set up your PIN.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #40
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike639 View Post
Got my card last week...already saving money.

Thanks OP

ps-I used you as my referral. Enjoy the $25 credit once I hit the 100 gallon mark.
Hey Mike, I assume you have used the card, if so what was your savings?

Thanks for giving the referral.