Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t even care what somebody else does on the road. If you stop in front of me I’ll stop. If you cut me off or pull out in front of me and I can avoid hitting you no problem. If I hit you and no ones gets hurt no problem. Ford will make thousands of trucks like mine this year. I’m very easy going and I never get mad. Road rage, don’t know what that is. Calm down enjoy the ride, life is way too short to waste what little time you have being upset.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I don’t even care what somebody else does on the road. If you stop in front of me I’ll stop. If you cut me off or pull out in front of me and I can avoid hitting you no problem. If I hit you and no ones gets hurt no problem. Ford will make thousands of trucks like mine this year. I’m very easy going and I never get mad. Road rage, don’t know what that is. Calm down enjoy the ride, life is way too short to waste what little time you have being upset.
Lynwood
Well said, but there must be a reason most big rigs have loud train horns.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #23
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have used the air horn on my semi truck in the last couple of years. They tell us they startle other drivers and usually make the situation worse.

You blow an air horn at me because I’m not driving to you’re liking, I will stop until I figure out what your so wound up about.

If you’re having to hit the brakes so hard that you would be in trouble if you didn’t have disc brakes, you’re driving too aggressively.

But what do I know... I’ve only been driving big trucks for 40 years and 3 million miles with only 1 chargeable accident (38 years ago when I used to be a very aggressive driver).

Calm down and enjoy the ride! Just my 2 cents.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #24
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Loud Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
A loud blaring horn is more likely to have the opposite of the desired affect, startling the driver and causing him/her to let off the throttle and hit the brake rather than to speed up. Making the situation even worse.
Better idea. Accept the fact that everyone drives differently, look far ahead and anticipate the slower drivers, let them go their way, and then go yours. Much better for your (and their) peace of mind, reduced stress, and overall happiness. Relax, slow down, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can for you too will be an old geezer before you know it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And that definitely is small stuff.
Well said.
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #25
Bill M
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23206
BB_TX, I totally agree with you. Used to teach all kinds of driving 25 years ago, motorcycle, emergency vehicles, etc., & a loud noise will, most of the time, cause a slow down making things worse. Drive defensively is the only answer.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #26
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
This is getting ridiculous:

= I want a louder horn for my truck - PERIOD
= I never said "Train Horn" in any post. I wont have one though did discuss it

= I always drive defensively - unfortunately others seem to be in a parallel world and need a quick beep, not a long drawn out blast that puts them into next week

=Driving 20,000 pounds and 58 feet in length DOES NOT make it easy to change lanes or even slow quickly when some numbskull texting or blabbing on his cell phone moves into my driving lane at 35mph on a bumper to bumper 70+ mph interstate.

MODERATOR, Please shut this thread down. I'm really tired of being told what and how I should just look the other way while driving my 8400 pound truck with a 12,000 plus pound 5th wheel attached
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
This is getting ridiculous:

= I want a louder horn for my truck - PERIOD
= I never said "Train Horn" in any post. I wont have one though did discuss it

= I always drive defensively - unfortunately others seem to be in a parallel world and need a quick beep, not a long drawn out blast that puts them into next week

=Driving 20,000 pounds and 58 feet in length DOES NOT make it easy to change lanes or even slow quickly when some numbskull texting or blabbing on his cell phone moves into my driving lane at 35mph on a bumper to bumper 70+ mph interstate.

MODERATOR, Please shut this thread down. I'm really tired of being told what and how I should just look the other way while driving my 8400 pound truck with a 12,000 plus pound 5th wheel attached
I agree, the horns on my dually are ok but not loud enough. They seam to be ignored most of the time.

I did not want the full blown train air horns with the compressor and all that, so I just ordered (HS heavy duty mega blast horns) from amazon. Already started the install while waiting for the delivery. Am considering installing the OEM truck horns on my Honda Accord. Lol
Old 10-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #28
racer4

M.O.C. #14251
I have experienced what the OP is talking about.

This is about entrance ramp merging, by inattentive drivers.

If I don't honk, they are about to drive into the side of my truck/trailer, instead of merging ahead of or behind me. Often my truck's horn still does not get their attention fast enough.

I try to slow to allow them some more room, but if they are going 40 mph, that won't work.

Many ramps in the northeast, allow a shorter amount of time to see the highway traffic and merge.

This is more of a problem in heavy traffic, when I can't always change lanes quickly.

A Semi is louder than average and gets noticed. A pickup truck, not so much.

I don't have a louder horn, but there have been times when I think it would have improved my safety.

If I had the OEM horn and the air horn, I could choose which is best to use.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Dave
I cut this from your OP

My Ford has very loud horns to begin with but am thinking a good aftermarket horn/train/air might work. Do any of you folks have a suggestion. I don't want long cab mounted trumpets, just something that's reasonably priced plus reliable.

So yes you did suggest using a train horn. Need a poking the bear emoji
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #30
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Still waiting on my truck horns to be delivered. In the mean time, I removed the 2 OEM horns on my 2014 accord and installed the OEM truck horns in there place. Now the accord sounds like a truck instead of that Japanese beep beep horn sound. LOL

Taking steps a little farther, I installed the 2 accord OEM horns in my wife's 2015 civic which only had 1 pathetic horn. Not it has 3 horns and is much more noticeable.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #31
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I need to go check the horns on both our vehicles. Can’t remember the last time I used either.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #32
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I need to go check the horns on both our vehicles. Can’t remember the last time I used either.
You must live a area where people know how to drive, because they drive like idiots here in the Baltimore/DC area. Hell, you cant even leave a few car lengths in front of you (like you should) or the car behind you will pass and jump in front of you just to be one car ahead.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I never use me horn either. I don’t think the horn on my 2018 F150 has ever been used. There isn’t much traffic here except when I81 gets blocked up like every Sunday afternoon.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #34
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
WOLO Cannonball express.
Cannon Ball Express Train air Horn 185dB
dennis hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #35
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Dave
I cut this from your OP

My Ford has very loud horns to begin with but am thinking a good aftermarket horn/train/air might work. Do any of you folks have a suggestion. I don't want long cab mounted trumpets, just something that's reasonably priced plus reliable.

So yes you did suggest using a train horn. Need a poking the bear emoji

OK, so, I screwed up and said it. Big deal. Are you happy now?

Get over it!!
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #36
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You must live a area where people know how to drive, because they drive like idiots here in the Baltimore/DC area. Hell, you cant even leave a few car lengths in front of you (like you should) or the car behind you will pass and jump in front of you just to be one car ahead.
As someone else mentioned, I think the horn thing is highly regional. Horns are not often heard in this area, although it has increased over the last few years with a large influx of out of state people moving into the area. I traveled a lot during my working years and did notice that horns were used far more frequently in the east and northeast than most other parts of the country. And we have no shortage of inept drivers in this area either.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #37
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
A question for those who say they don't use their horn. What do you do when someone starts drifting over the line into your lane? A horn wakes them up. When I learned to drive, late 50's, you were taught to blow the horn when passing or if someone was about to pull out in front of you. People back then didn't take a horn toot as an insult, but a signal that you were there. I use my horn when needed and really don't give a hoot if the person it's directed at likes it or not. It will save you from a possible accident many times

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #38
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Hornet,

Welcome to the forum!

A horn is there to prevent accidents but should be used sparingly. It is not needed to get the car in front of you moving faster at the light or show your displeasure over something another driver has done. I can not remember the last time I used my horn.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #39
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
OK, so, I screwed up and said it. Big deal. Are you happy now?

Get over it!!
Dave I am just messing with you.

After all you started it
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #40
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Hornet,

Welcome to the forum!

A horn is there to prevent accidents but should be used sparingly. It is not needed to get the car in front of you moving faster at the light or show your displeasure over something another driver has done. I can not remember the last time I used my horn.
I completely disagree with the later part of your statement. Especially in the world we all live in now with all the distractions drivers have.

Multiple times a day while sitting at a traffic light (not being the first one in line) some yahoo playing with there phone/radio/gps etc. it paying NO attention to the light and what's going on.

For example; Lets say I'm the 4th car from the light , the first 2 are paying attention (like they should be) and take off when the light changes green, the 3rd car is still sitting there playing with something while the first 2 are several hundred feet through the light. Guess what, that yahoo is going to get a horn from me EVERY time.

Even after a very short toot, some are so oblivious, they do nothing. My next will not a toot but a long hold until they respond.

Occasionally my chance at getting through the light is taken by one of these yahoos. Sometimes even 2 lights.

I for one am not going to just sit there waiting for them to wake up !!!