Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Ford recalls 37,000 Super Duty trucks

Ford recalls 37,000 Super Duty trucks

Diesel truck version reportedly cause tailpipe fires; owners should bring vehicles to dealerships for repair.

March 21 2007: 7:27 PM EDT

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. said Wednesday it was recalling over 37,000 of its new 2008 model-year F-Series Super Duty trucks after reported tailpipe fires in the diesel version of the pickups.

Ford said it had received reports of three cases where leaking fuel or oil ignited when trapped in a diesel particulate filter near the tailpipe of the new trucks.

2008 Ford Super Duty truck

In one case in Texas, a truck's hot tailpipe set off a grass fire when the driver pulled off the road, a Ford spokesman said.

The fire was quickly extinguished, and no injuries or accidents have been reported as a result of the incidents, Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said.

"This is an important product for us and an important customer base, and we want to move swiftly to make sure this does not become a safety issue for our customers," Jarvis said.

The recall represents the second glitch since their January launch of the new Super Duty trucks.

The heavy-duty work truck is one of the automaker's most profitable vehicles and its sales success has been seen as key as Ford tries to rebound from a $12.7 billion loss last year.

Navistar International Corp. briefly halted shipments of the diesel engines for the new trucks to Ford in late February because of a contract dispute, although both sides have since been meeting under court order to resolve the matter.

Ford dealers were advised Wednesday to stop selling the roughly 29,000 Super Duty trucks with 6.4-liter diesel engines on their lots until engine control software can be updated.

That work should begin Thursday and could be completed in less than 10 minutes per vehicle, Ford's Jarvis said.

Super Duty trucks still awaiting shipment from the Louisville, Kentucky plant that makes them will have their engine control software updated there, he said.

Customers with the first 8,400 diesel Super Duty trucks already on the roads will be notified that they should bring their vehicles into dealerships for the same fix, said Jarvis.

Ford will send out a recall notice to customers in early April and dealers may contact them before then to alert them to the potential problem, he said.

Gasoline-powered versions of the Super Duty and previous model-year diesel trucks with 6.0-liter or 7.3-liter engines are not affected by the recall.

The software upgrade will reset the powertrain control module on the Ford trucks. In cases where the system detects unusually high temperatures in the diesel particulate filter, the control module will power down the vehicle.

The aim is to allow drivers to pull safely to the side of the road to allow it to cool before proceeding, Jarvis said.

Ford also wants to take advantage of the recall to shift a battery cable on fewer than 10,000 of the first Super Duty trucks produced in order to to keep the cable from chafing against a shield that prevents water and mud from getting into the engine.

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
This is why you always wait a year of two to buy something totally new. It has to have the kinks worked out. It is still a great eye catcher and I will want one soon.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Very interesting, I called the Ford Dealer the 19th, to set up an appt. for today, the 21st for an oil leak. NOOO Problem, when would you like to come in?When the service took the info., he handed me a paper from the Back Scheduling office to take no new work untill the 26th.Ford it realling taking a tremendous hit right now, I really hope they can survive it.Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I wonder if Toyota's new 380 HP F150 Killer will have these types of glitches. I'm thinking they won't because those Texans in San Antonio know how to build a truck right the first time.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I knew that new 6.4 would be a HOT engine!

Didn't expect it would start grass fires as it went rippin by, but so be it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That just points how you can test and test and test and still things will not show up till they are "on line" and out on the road.Hope things are worked out by this summer and I hope Ford can survive...it does not look bright. There are a lot of initial problems on the 6.4 as reported on the FTE forum and despite millions of miles of testing is , I guess, to be expected. This 05 V-10 has done everything we have asked of it and more.However after pulling at altitude and up some very steep grades the value of the diesel is obvious.If our towing habits had not changed I would not even be talking diesel.However..the 6.4 is going to have to do better than 10mpg pulling and it still has to prove itself before we would consider..We have the employee price for the truck we want. We will not be wintering again till Nov 07..The 6.4 had that much time to prove itself.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 AM   #7
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
That's a shame! Will hurt the launch of the new Super Duty. I hope they can get it together. My last two trucks have been Chevy and no complaints but have been a Ford man for the last 30 years. I like the looks of the new Super Duty.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:26 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I saw another article about this recall that pointed out this problem will be the same for the GM and the Dodge because all three use the same concept for regeneration and filtration. Ford just happened to be the first to market. I sure hope this is resolved quickly as we're still planning to trade this summer and this could affect all makers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:09 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I was reading on the Ford forum about early buyers reporting 'fire from the tailpipes' as they drove down the road. I do know that the exhaust tip has metal cuts that go down into the exhaust flow and are required by the system to 'enhance flow and ensure mixing of cool air with ultra-hot exhaust' created during the regeneration process. A follow-on poster made a comment about waiting to see when someone reports a pedestrian getting burned - it is that hot!! Local Ford dealer sold first one just last week so have no history locally on regeneration issues but they are having buyers sign a paper advising them NOT to park on dry grass.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My Dad's '49 Merc had spark plugs in the tailpipes powered by magnetos in the trunk. He'd pull the choke and flip the switch to shoot flames at the Scotchman hamburger joint - guess it's a standard feature now.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
As Steve mentioned, I also suspect this will be an issue with all the newer trucks equipped with the required regeneration system. The following comment in the recall will make for some interesting situations on narrow mountain roads and high traffic urban areas.

"The software upgrade will reset the powertrain control module on the Ford trucks. In cases where the system detects unusually high temperatures in the diesel particulate filter, the control module will power down the vehicle.

The aim is to allow drivers to pull safely to the side of the road to allow it to cool before proceeding, Jarvis said."
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #12
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Doesn't sound like a fix of the problem to me. I hope they can come up with a fix or repair than will completely solve the problem. It's a nice looking rig, and I hope Ford can survive this latest "hit" on their image.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Apparently Dodge has seen the light as well -- just read this (and copied it from) the dodge diesel forum: ""A hot exhaust system can start a fire if you park over
materials that can burn. Such materials might be grass or leaves coming into contact with your exhaust system. Do not park or operate your vehicle in areas where your exhaust system can contact anything that can burn." p. 416 of the owners manual

The new DPF system will not be appropriate for farmers or those that drive through tall grass. Whats a mother to do? "

Don't know about the GMC family but you can almost bet they will be the same. I seem to remember someone posting that they were waiting for the 1st asphalt melt to occur .

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I can see it now, you pull out to pass and the unit decides it is to hot and cut the power back. Better yet you are pulling a steep grade with your Montana and it decides to shut things down. Rich, with all the problems you have had with your Montana this truck would fit right in.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A flame throwing truck..I like it... A burst of flame from the truck tail pipe will burn down the Montana..new truck..new camper. Did they not say the same thing about the catalytic converter????
Old 03-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Just think. With everything else you have to worry about towing a fiver, you now get to worry about starting a fire. If that happens in a State Park I wonder who gets the ticket and the bills - truck owner or Ford......If that's American technology, I think I need to look elsewhere.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
This topic breaks my heart even more when I read the fix is a computer re flash. My 04 Ford F350 PSD became a different truck after it's first reflash. We bought it because Donna is one of the many people who are made sick by the smell of diesel exhaust. We had owned a 95 and 2000 PSD and I could never let them idle when she was outside the truck. The 04 PSDs we test drove all had exhausts that smelled less than my 2000 PSD. We bought ours, after it broke down and was re flashed it smelled worst than the 2000. Quite simply, it was not the truck we bought any more.
I think my V10 will serve my needs for a few years but I might buy one more new truck before I die, the good Lord willing, and at this point I am pretty sure it won't be a Navistar powered Ford.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I read that while the heat is a potential problem, the cause of flames out the pipe has to do with a combustible fluid getting into the DPF unit, such as if an injector leaks. Since this problem would exist with all makes it is making me wonder whether we should put off purchasing one of the new trucks this summer and wait to see how this all shakes out.

The potential for power reduction due to heat scares me for the same reasons mentioned above. i read that the power reduction is the signal to pull over and stop before it decides to shut down the power even more. That's not always going to be doable. However, I read that the potential for this situation to occur is extremely small and any individual to see this power reduction is about the same as having the engine die while on the road. It can happen but the potential is minute. So far there have been only 3 reports of flames out the tailpipe. But Ford took it seriously enough to stop dealer sales until the computers are reflashed.

Rickety, I hope they get it solved, too. This problem exists for all brands but Ford will take the biggest hit because they were first out of the block.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:54 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had a talk with our Ford Dealer at home(a good friend)He is not happy about the initial 6.4 issues as dealers were informed that this motor had been well tested and you could be assured that it would be trouble free. They are not taking many orders and have had some cancel out. I have our X plan price in hand but like Steve am having serious 2nd thoughts. Past experience still tells me that this is not a uncommon thing even with a "well tested " system but then I never had to spend 47K of my own money till the bugs got worked out????Fortunately our 05 V-10 more than does the job,,but we like shinny new trucks...
Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Personally, I have always looked at new vehicles as I do New computer operating systems (MS Vista, for one, XP for the last). The manufacturers seem to put out a "pretty Good" product, then rely on us to finish the QC end of it. As much as I like the looks of the new Fords, no way would I even think about buying one until all the kinks are worked out. AND, who knows how long this might be. Of course this is JMHO......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote