Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Reese Select & Select Plus hitches

I'm looking for help in trying to compare the pros and cons of the Reese Select and Select Plus hitches. The Select series replaces the Classic series, whereas the Select Plus seems to be a new hitch that currently only comes in the 18K size. The Draw-Tite Select and Select Plus hitches seem to be identical to the Reese hitches.

The Reese/Draw-Tite 18K Select Plus hitch has the following features:
18,000 lbs. gross, 4,500 pin weight capacities
14” to 18” vertical height adjustment
Features Signature Series™ head….
Tough, heavy-duty stamped head--looks just like the ones on the real tractor-trailers!
4 way (front & back/side-to-side) head pivot
6 degree side-to-side head pivot
Kingpin indicator
Increased kingpin contact design
Wider 9”(vs. 6”) kingpin funnel area
Forged single jaw
Self latching jaw design
5 year limited warranty

The Reese/Draw-Tite 20K Select hitch is described on the website as follows:
Two-jaw locking system
Fore-and-aft and side-to-side 5° pivot
Locking jaw handle
Vertically adjusts from 14-1/4" to 18-1/4"
20,000 lbs. towing capacity
5,000 lbs. pin weight capacity
Solid base assembly for superior stability
5 year limited warranty

As a newbie, I confess I don't know what are the relative pros and cons of some of these competing features like the "two-jaw locking system" vs. the "forged single jaw" and "self latching jaw design." I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer in comparing these two hitches.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Dave We have the 18K Reese Signature hitch with the slider. It is a single jaw vise two jaws as the standard Reese hitch. The advantage is the closer tollance. That means less forward/backward motion. The disavantage is that you have to comein the hitch low and slide up on the hitch to latch it properly. It has a safety release that has to triger to open the safety pin hole. In the older two jaw system you could get away with coming in a little high and lowering it. The signature comes in a 16k and 18k version. Were well satisfied with it. We had the 20k Reese on the old truck.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Dave, We also have the new 18k Signature series slider hitch. Like Ken says, you have to come in a little low and allow the pin to ride up into the lock but it is dead solid. I also have the below bed mount so when I remove the hitch there are only the four "pucks" left in the bed.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks for the feedback. Wonder if I'll have a problem with the Reese Signature head if I have to come in low when hooking up, since the Bedsaver apparently requires that I come in high enough to clear it. Does that mean I have to be threading a needle, coming in just barely above the Bedsaver?? Tough for a newbie like me who has never hooked up a fifth wheel. HA!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote