Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2007, 05:09 AM   #21
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
For those of you with diesel engines, at truck stops around in the rear where the big trucks fuel up, in many cases, the pump island closest to the building has a "pickup truck" nozzle (the smaller diameter). Before we got the Volvo hauler, I always went into the big truck lines and just dealt with the larger nozzle. It made the entire fueling process much more pleasant than fighting with all the cars around at the front of the station. For me, it was a little intimidating the first time or two but after I learned the system, I was much more comfortable taking my pickup and Montana through the big truck fueling lines.

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #22
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
My experience is that the big truck stops advertize the "cash" price on their signs and if you use a credit card you will pay 5 to 10 cents/gallon more. Also the auto diesel stations (ie BP and Shell) are putting B20 (20% bio)biodiesel in the pumps, my manual for my 2006 GMC Duramax says they will only warrantee the engine if no more than 5%biodiesel is used. I have to pull back out of those stations and find another station with regular diesel. Has any one else had this experience?
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #23
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
With all those problems (I forgot or decided to ignore them for the winter while I pouted because I wanted to be out on the road). It gives me a headache just thinking about them. But, it takes my mind off my other bumps in the road and gives me something to look forward to in a couple of months. Ahhhh, the smell of Diesel fuel and the rattle of my Ford Diesel. "To Be Back On The Road Again"
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #24
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I'm starting to get a bad feeling having purchased this diesel truck. How difficult is it REALLY to find the ultra low sulfur diesel? If my area is any indication, I'm gonna be in trouble. With about six stations in the area that sell diesel, only one sells the kind I need (ultra low sulfur). So, whats gonna happen when I get out there in the boonies? Oye...I hope I'm not going to regret going with the diesel...:-(

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I just made a trip from Manhattan KS to ABQ New Mexico; 15ppm at all stations except for the one at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque. It was still labeled 500 ppm but the lady inside said that all they were getting was 15 ppm; just hadn't had the tanks checked to get authority to put the new label on yet. I stopped at Flying J in Sayre OK, ABQ, and Salina KS; as well as the Shell in Guymon OK; and all were 15 ppm.

Jan: What truck did you get that requires 15ppm already. All of the 07s I've seen todate are actually 06 engines (i.e. don't have the particulate filters, etc..) and can run either 500 or 15 ppm.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #26
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I certainly agree that refueling is the worst part of the RVing experience. Prior to leaving home, I chart where all the Loves/Pilots, etc are, but when it gets time to look for fuel, we look for a truck stop that is an independent and not one of the big ones. Usually, the independents are not nearly as busy...or dirty/crowded. Yesterday we needed fuel on I35 north of San Antonio...stopped at a TA. It was just as noted above, a line of 10 inside, finally refueled, then a line of seven to pay. A real pain!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #27
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We didn't unhook at Van Horn, when we left KOA, we stopped at a big covered truck stop there by the RV park, Sue had to get out and make sure I didn't hit the can o pea, I had weighed in on the CAT scales in back, then came around.
It was a shallow lot, so when fueled, we had to back out into the side street. Sue had the walkie talkie, stopping traffic, everyone was super nice and made the job easier. It's just a pain sometimes, and slightly dangerous. You never know when you will draw an idiot.... We seem to hit one of those every once and awhile.
I gained a little over 200# of mods and added 'stuff' in Havasu, have to sell a bunch of Wind Spinners, flagpoles and Wind Socks, got two shipments for Corpus and Padre. Need to eat some canned foods too, I guess.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The fueling experience will continue to be "frustrating" to say the least. We have a couple of friends that work fop TA truckstops in The design of stations department and they tell me that TA has recognized the value of Rv's and are building their stations to be RV friendly. Some time ago they aked me to write up a list of Rv friendly issues...hope it helped..We noted the low sulpher fuel at all stations on our trip down from Ohio to AZ.We did not buy the diesel motor in 05 becasue we did not care for the Ford 6.0 but we have our New "X plan" pin in hand and if the 6.4 lives up to expectations we will have one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey SkyPilot,
I have a 2007 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 2500 Heavy Duty Turbo Diesel. Having read a TON of posts tonight regarding the ULSD/LSD...I may need to check with the dealership to see if I can run either. After reading so many posts about it, and seeing the sticker on the pump stating I could not use the LSD in a 2007 or newer, I just assumed that included me. I tried reading the owners manual, which tells me to use #2 diesel. Okay, I will as soon as you tell me what that is...LOL I really like my new truck, but all of this confusion about the fuel is frustrating the h*%& out of me!! I had made up my mind to go with gas, but there was just too much concern about having enough torque if/when I get into the mountains with the new trailer (3475RL). They say you can never have too much truck...so I thought I would be on the safe side....LOL

Jan
Old 01-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As for finding diesel, we use The Next Exit when on interstates and the Truckers Friend (something like that) when on US highways to locate truck stops that can accomodate our size.

On our trip to Gulf Shores, AL, from Kansas City we found truck stop truck lanes still labeled 500 ppm LSD. They may have had ULSD lanes but I didn't see them. Or maybe they hadn't changed the labels yet.

Non-truck stops all had ULSD labels. Those we stopped at, anyhow.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #31
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Connersmom
If you have the Cummins 5.9 liter engine it is the one they have used up until now and will run on the lsf (500ppm). The new Cummins engine is a 6.7 liter engine and has to use the ulsf. They are just now becoming available. I priced one yesterday and there are none available within 500 miles of Michigan right now. if I want one it will have to be ordered.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:00 AM   #32
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Getting fuel has become an EPA and puzzle solving dilemma.
If you can find a station you can get your rig into and out of, the diesel pump states; "Pay inside", of course, if you slide your card, you get action: Credit or Debit? the robot asks?
Car wash? Yes or no, please...Receipt? yes or no, please...
Type of fuel? press button please; (Even though there is only the Diesel button available) Car wash? Please push yes or no; (Unfortunately 'Hell no!, and quit with the questions button', is not available.)
Then they have the warnings; 'No Smoking at the pumps', 'Turn off battery operated devices', 'You are responsible for fuel spills', 'Do not leave while filling tank', Disconnect switch available'; (But to find it you may have to walk around for 10 minutes)
'It is unlawful to dispense fuel in unapproved containers;' another sign.
When we get done with fueling, put the Diesel soaked nozzle and Handel back in place, wipe the spilled fuel off our shoes and reach for the receipt; a bonus! Please come inside for receipt...........
Go figure.
Ozz

Get the recipt inside, is another ploy to get you into there store and possably intice you to purchase some junk food, that realy get me P--sed Off when the pull that.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:33 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Cat320, if you use Streets and Trips, Street Atlas, or CoPilot Live, you can get a file to load into the software that shows you where all the Loves stations are.

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #34
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The fueling experience will continue to be "frustrating" to say the least. We have a couple of friends that work fop TA truckstops in The design of stations department and they tell me that TA has recognized the value of Rv's and are building their stations to be RV friendly. Some time ago they aked me to write up a list of Rv friendly issues...hope it helped..We noted the low sulpher fuel at all stations on our trip down from Ohio to AZ.We did not buy the diesel motor in 05 becasue we did not care for the Ford 6.0 but we have our New "X plan" pin in hand and if the 6.4 lives up to expectations we will have one.
The TA I mentioned earlier did have two "RV Pumps." However, they were not well marked, and since we were following the "Truck Refueling" signs, did not see the RV pumps until we were leaving.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #35
Bob C

M.O.C. #3010
I've read all of the comments with interest. We have been using a book called "The RVer's Friend" for the last 4-5 years. It shows all fueling sites by state/town that are RV friendly, large enough to get around and have parking. With a 57gallon Transferflow replacement fuel tank on our 2006 F-350 Lariat/2005 3400Rl combo we can select the truck stops that are better set up RVers. It takes us 7 days from Wa state to Harlingen, Tx. So far we've not needed to unhitch to fetch fresh fuel. We whole heartedly recommend the RVers Friend for planning the next fillup.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:11 AM   #36
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Bob. I'll look into that.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #37
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have not seen RVers Friend, but sounds good, now, important question:

WHERE can we get this friend?? CW?? Good Sam???

Cheers,
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 AM   #38
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I checked yesterday, and I have a 2006 5.7 diesel engine in my 2007 truck. But, just to be on the safe side I called the Dodge dealership this morning that I purchased my truck at. The salesman didn't have a clue. He said that as he recalled, they had a meeting about it a while back, and what he remembered was that the difference between the two fuels was so small, it didn't really matter. Well Sparky, I'm pretty sure that ain't gonna fly with Dodge when my engine blows. So, I spoke with the assistant service manager, who said he would have to call me back. Man, I sure do feel secure with the knowledge these people have...NOT!!LOL Anyway, he called me back, and read from the info he had on the computer. It says that the engine affected by the ULSD/LSD is the 6.7. It's mostly on the 2007 "add what you want to this chassis" Dodge trucks. So, he says I can use either. That makes me feel a whole lot better about taking my vacation in a few weeks!! Thanks for all of your responses, y'all really helped me!! Jan
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 AM   #39
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I found the 2007 RVers Friend on rvbookstore.com Great place for rv reference material. It cost $14.95, only problem is that it is so populare they are out of stock right now. CW and Amozon do not seem to have it listed. It does sound like a must have book.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #40
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Connorsmom, you can get all the information you want about your Dodge at:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote