Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Petro Fuel Good Sam Discount

Good Sam has been advertising a 2 cent per gallon discount at Petro Truck Stops. During our last trip, we tried to take advantage of the program...did as instructed, refueled then went inside with the GS card with the Petro sticker on the back. Long story short, the only way they honor the discount is if you use the 'Convenience Store.' Sent GS and Petro emails saying we could not use the store with a 38' 5th wheel and a long bed cc truck. Neither replied. Called GS, they said that they were going to inform the members that the con store must be used to get the discount. BTW, after leaving Petro, the next exit on the interstate had both Loves and Pilots...each with diesel for 5 cents a gallon less than Petro. So if we had gotten the discount we would have only been three cents below the others rather than five.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Months ago we decided the GS/Petro deal was a rip off the first and only time we tried to use it. I always try to use Flying J or Wal*Mart. If I can't find one of them I'll look for a Loves or a Hess or Sunoco. I find Petro and Pilot typically higher priced.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
When I saw the $.02 per gallon discount, I thought--well on 25 gallons that would be $.50---I will not worry about that. I can usually find a better price by shopping around. I can only hold 38 gallons and I don't ever plan on being that LOW!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
I think Good Sam made another mistake by getting in bed with Petro. They have no where near the location coverage that Loves had. We too look for the ability to get in and out, and for a decent price. Petro isn't it!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
I think Good Sam made another mistake by getting in bed with Petro. They have no where near the location coverage that Loves had. We too look for the ability to get in and out, and for a decent price. Petro isn't it!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Bert, Thanks for the information. We had planned on using Petro as a second choice on the road. Flying J has always been our first choice. With the larger fuel tank, we have no problem traveling between Flying Js. While in Florida, we used WalMart since it was close and has the discount. In our area, Petro has always been higher that Pilot. I think Good Sam did make a mistake.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:53 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When GS was using Loves I didn't bother as the discount was just 1˘ and you had to pay inside to get the penny. When filling I typically get about 20 to 22 gallons. It's just not worth my time to go inside for 20 to 22˘s. I would only use Loves maybe 10 times a year and I would have saved a whopping 2 bucks. For truck stops I'll find a Flying J first. Where I not only get a fuel discount I also get a discount at the buffet, Works for me!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:47 AM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Bert, I don't under stand part of your post. The discount only good for 'convience store' is the part I didn't understand. Thought maybe it didn't apply if fueling at the big rig pumps??
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

Bert, I don't under stand part of your post. The discount only good for 'convience store' is the part I didn't understand. Thought maybe it didn't apply if fueling at the big rig pumps??
You are correct. The purchase must be made at the convenience store pumps, you do not get the discount if using the big rig pumps...that's why they did not give it to us, we were at the big truck pumps. As I said in my email to them, don't think my truck and 3400 will fit in the convenience store pumps...and I'm not going to see.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Thanks Bert. Nice to know the fine print stuff.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:29 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have the sticker but I'm with Glenn. It just isn't worth it just to run in, stand in line, wait for the next cashier and then have to buy something else in order to save a quarter. We have found that Flying J always beats Petro and Loves as well as many others. Plus, I get my discount right at the pump and don't have to go in to get it (do have to go in and get my receipt, though). I'll not be using my Good Sam card at Petro!

I don't know why Susan Bray (or whoever does these kinds of "get in bed with" contracts) tie Good Sam up with these kinds of partnerships.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:53 AM   #12
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507
I have had the same experience with Petro as others have described. We have the Flying J Rewards Member card and it seems to work well for us. I always look for a Flying J, first. You can get a directory of their location at their Web Site.
emurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #13
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
If I remember correctly, you can also download files for mapping software that shows where the Flying J's are located. It shows as a "pushpin" but I changed mine to "gas pump" icon. The files actually show the GPS coordinates and I changed them to Flying J. You can find them under "Home Page" - "Highway Hospitality Services" - "Location Amentities" down at the bottom of the page. Choose a State or All Locations at top right of page.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #14
panhandlevern
Established Member

M.O.C. #3622
Whoever made this deal with GS, surely has not pulled an RV. The deal with Loves said the same, no truck pumps, in my area of the three that are near, none could be used at the convenience pump area. So I did not use Loves, and I doubt that I will use Petro, not when there's a Flying J around.

Vernon & Martha
02 F 250 PSD 4x4
00 3280rl Montana
panhandlevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:50 AM   #15
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Is'nt Petro owned by the Venezualian Pesident Chavez. I know I read somewhere he owned Citgo and was changing over to Petro because he was loosing to much money.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:59 AM   #16
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsmitfl

Is'nt Petro owned by the Venezualian Pesident Chavez. I know I read somewhere he owned Citgo and was changing over to Petro because he was loosing to much money.
There is apparently a bogus email running around that Citgo is changing its name. What seems to be happening is NOT a name change but a decision by a number of companies to stop selling Citgo and to replace it with other brands. My understanding is that Petro Express is an existing chain of gasoline stations and conveniences stores located primarily in the Carolinas that no longer sells Citgo gasoline.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote