Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
casey.2
Established Member

M.O.C. #5166
TV Trailer charging fuse keeps blowing!!

Hey Guys, been awhile, I'm having a frustrating problem, I have a 2006 Ford Superduty SuperCrew as my TV and a 2004 3575RL. If I'm extending the slides while hooked to the TV and on battery power, I'll blow my trailer charging fuse under the dash, shouldn't this be on a larger fuse? Shouldn't it be one of the larger fuses under the hood? I'm frustrated and a bit confused. I've checked the plugs, (I had the local dealer add one in the bed for the fifthwheel hookup), and both the exterior plug and interior plug are wired correct. Why would this circuit come into play? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, now, to clairify, I have a single 12 volt battery for trailer power and have thought of adding two 6 volt batteries wired in series as someone has suggested this as a remedy. Has anyone had issues such as this?

Thanks,

Kevin (casey.2)
2006 Ford Superduty Diesel Supercrew 4X4 FX4
2004 Montana 3575RL

casey.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Will the slide work when you unhook the power cord from the T V?

Larry
Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hey Kevin, As Larry is trying to get more info to trouble shoot this... answer to his question helps as well as what is Ampere rating for TV fuse that is blowing? You may not be able to increase this as I believe the TV charge wire is 12awg at best (20amp) or if its 14awg (15amp). What is the RV battery? Group 24 or Group 27? Is this an original battery? Could be its not up to par...and obviously your drawing current from the TV.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
casey.2
Established Member

M.O.C. #5166
The fuse is a 20 amp (small) fuse. The single battery is a deep cycle "Marine" battery. I'm away currently but will check tomorrow as to if the slide outs work unhooked. I guess I just assumed that since my TV is dual battery equiped it wouldn't be such a draw on the charging system. I realize there are several variables here, if the single trailer battery is fully charged, if it's enough considering the job it has to do, etc, I just find it frustrating to blow a small fuse with all the batteries, (TV) and with the TV running, and only the slides drawing current at the time. Maybe up grading to two deep cycle 6 volt or adding an additional 12 volt battery will do the trick. I'll check when I get home tomorrow and follow up. Thanks for the insight.

Kevin (casey.2)
Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Kevin,

My 2006 has a 20A cartridge fuse (107) and an ISO Relay (301) for the trailer battery charge. I haven't blown it doing the slides, but I do have 2 batteries in the Monty.

The hydraulic motor for the slides has a 30A breaker direct from the Monty battery (installed below the motor). It's possible that the motor surge is too high for the standard 20A supply from the truck, especially with a single battery. The truck charge line wasn't necessarily designed for that kind of load. I would try just disconnecting the pigtail before running the slides, at least until you get the rest of the batteries you discuss.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Kevin, That hydralic pump sucks a bit of current...I believe there is a automatic resetting 30amp relay in-line to it. Your single battery will run it but it has to be healthy (fully charged) else your slides are not gonna move too well. I have 3 12 Marine batteries (Group 27) as they were in my previous trailer...waiting for them to get old and then I'm going to the 6v cart batteries.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
casey.2
Established Member

M.O.C. #5166
Brad,

Sounds like the logical answer, I've been thinking of upgrading the batteries, guess sooner than later now though. This has been the only trouble we've had so far but I've been concerned that there might be a more serious issue, to be honest, I'm not a 100 percent certain that the trailer battery has been at full capacity during these episodes, I guess this would account for the draw from the TV. I'll try it disconnected from the TV and we'll go from there. Thank you, I appreciate the support and assistance.

Best,

Kevin (casey.2)
Old 11-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Sounds like you could have a bad battery. Instead of useing the trailer battery to run the slides the pump is looking for more power to run and going to the TV. Check the battery and for clean connections. #1 rule of electricity is it will take the SHORTEST path to ground, with everything working properly thay is not through the TV.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 AM   #9
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Kevin

I was thinking on the same line as Rick (trukdoc) that would be my first step. Larry