Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #1
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Questions for bed saver owners

We did it, dropped the camper on the truck bed. So of course we now want to install a bed saver. The one I found that will fit our Husky 24K is made by Blue Ox.

My questions are:
1. Do you have to raise and lower the camper each time to avoid hitting the Bed Saver?
2. Are there other manufacturers of bed savers other than Blue Ox?
3. Has anyone had first hand experience were the bed saver actually saved their bed?

Thanks in advance

Ed

Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the blue ox bed saver . I would guess that others make one but we do not know who they may be.
Ours is installed on a 16K draw Tite hitch and it does not interfere with hitching or unhitching..That may or may not be the case with your hitch setup.We have not had a bedsaver "save" and hope we never will. otheres have. I ordered mine from here
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....TS&Category=56
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Bighorn, we have the Blue Ox. Paul said we didn't need it but I know Paul so I got it anyway! Thank goodness because last August when we were leaving the BBQ Bake Off in Reno it happened. We hadn't even gotten out of the park yet. Paul was in a hurry as usual and we were pulling out when CRASH! I just sat there and shook my head...He got out and there she sat on the bedsaver! He was so shook-up he couldn't even take the Monty off the truck bedsaver. As you can see by the picture, this is what happens when you have the bedsaver. The other side of the story is what you have...That is the cheapest insurance I have ever purchased. We got it thru the RV dealer. Took Paul maybe 20 minutes to install it. Get one, it saves a lot of heart ache.
As for other manufacturers, this I don't know. Yes you have to watch when hooking and unhooking because it does sit right behind the hitch and it can hit it. As it should because it is there to catch it.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Bighorn,

Sorry to hear about your incident. I also have the Blue Ox and I haven't had the need for it yet, but it's there just in case! I bought mine at a local shop. I do not have any problems when it comes to hitching and unhitching. I honestly don't know of another manufacturer of bedsaver's.

Good Luck!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen has our Bedsaver mounted fairly high on our hitch as a precaution. We experienced the thrill of dropping our trailer on the truck bed one time so we wouldn't be without it. Yes we do raise the hitch so it will go over the Bedsaver and then lower it down before it goes into the hitch. It's a small inconvenience for the sake of safety. I just stand at the control button while Glen backs up the truck.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Ed, we don't have one YET but that is the next item on our list. Yes, I did drop a fiver on the bed of a truck a long time ago. Then a friend of mine did the same thing to his about a year later, and now he has done it a 2nd time. We will be ordering two at the same time. Its just a matter of time before we all do it, so I don't want to repeat. Sometimes we get out of the routine when hooking up and it happens. If I happen to get interruped during the hookup process I try to make it a point to start all over again. But we are but mortals & make mistrakes. (: I would encourage all to give serious consideration to installing a bedsaver. Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Thanks all for the response.

It’s so embarrassing when something happens at this magnitude. It never fails, when ever I experience a situation like this; people drop out of the trees like leafs on an autumn day and watch my every move. In a sincere way someone will ask if there’s something they can do to help. The only sensible answer to that question is ‘pass the collection plate’ but I’ll end up saying ‘no but thanks for the offer’ as I walk a way feeling about 10” shorter.

I always feel bad hearing about other’s misfortunes, but now I don’t feel so bad knowing that others have had the same experience.

I just ordered the blue Ox bed saver and it may be here before the truck gets out of the shop. The insurance company is sending out an appraiser to look at the damage to the Monty and the dealer said he can repair it while I wait. Thing should be back to normal next week.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639

This is what I use un my bed for the last 10 years and the paint is still in good shape no rust or wear spots.

http://i6.tinypic.com/14in428.jpg

http://i6.tinypic.com/14in4he.jpg
Old 07-28-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I should clarify my statement that our bedsaver does not interfere with Hitching and unhitching (it doesn't) In light of what Glen (One N) posted about his. Mine Barley clears the bedsaver when hitching and unhitching We gently dropped the hitch into the bedsaver to check the clearance and it is no more than 1 inch lower. It should be as even to the hitch pin as you can get it(that's the intent) and in some cases you may, as Glen(one N) does, have to raise the pin over it to clear. If I were you I would install it myself to make sure it is correctly installed. I have seen them installed way to low and therefore useless.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:03 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I agree with Rich. Install it yourself. It's so easy that it would be a shame to pay anyone for it. All you need is a torque wrench to tighten it down. Our Bedsaver is probably higher than it needs to be but it will do the trick if needed. Sure gives you a lot of security.

Bighorn, I commend you for your humilty. Most guys wouldn't ever mention dropping the fiver but it can happen to anyone.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:44 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK!! I was on first and got taged out, "BED SAVER" sorry wrong bed saver on my reply. Sure glad I didn't mention the other bed saver. HA HA.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:46 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bighorn,
Too bad that happened, if it is any consolation, you have helped us people who were considering a bed saver, Sue just ordered ours.
Rich, thanks for the link, we used that company.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:48 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are welcome.RV upgrades is a reputable company that handles quality products at a very fair price. They are in Eastlake , Ohio, not very far from us and well known in this area.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have the blue ox bed saver . I would guess that others make one but we do not know who they may be.
Ours is installed on a 16K draw Tite hitch and it does not interfere with hitching or unhitching..That may or may not be the case with your hitch setup.We have not had a bedsaver "save" and hope we never will. otheres have. I ordered mine from here
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....TS&Category=56
Rich - I looked at the link to the Bedsaver. Is there a center support from the center of the saver bracket to the hitch rail or bed of the truck? I can't see how that bracket with only 2 bolts on each side could hold 3000-4000lb pin weight w/o some kind of support in the middle. It just seems like the distance from the bracket bolts to the pin holder is too much to hold that kind of weight. Maybe the picture is not showing it or I'm missing something.
Curt
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Curt..No that's it.4 bolts attach it to the hitch and if you look at the installation instructions on the site it will say that 2 bolts are sufficient. Never heard of one failing
Old 07-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Thanks Rich - something else to think about purchasing. My biggest concern now though is my heighth. Second a/c unit puts me at 13'8". I'm getting pretty concerned about it. Don't travel much yet, but maybe someday. Screwed up and didn't get the low profile unit - didn't think about heighth. Live and learn.
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
We have a bed saver on a 20K Reese hitch. There is not much adjustment in the system except the slack in the bolt holes. With the bed saver pulled up to it's highest position it interfers with the hitch and pin. When allowed to shift to it's lowest position it gives me about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of clearence from the hitch and pin. I like having all the slack out of the set up. I lowered the pin into the bed saver and put all the weight of the trailer on it. We still had 3 1/2 to 4 inches of clearence between the pickup bed sides and the bottom of the 5er.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 AM   #18
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
We also had the misfortune of having dropped the 5er on the bed. We now have the Blue Ox bed saver and yes we do have to raise the 5er a little more to hitch and un-hitch. The better half is at the jack control to make sure I clear the bed saver. Our dealer doesn't like it because it slows down his moving the unit when in for service. They can't slam hook and move it they have to slow down and look.
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:40 AM   #19
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
Curt, aas an addition to the post above, I to had doubts about only have 2 bolts taking the shock and load. I called Blue Ox about this and was told it would be fine they also said it was ok to add 2 more bolts since I had holes that lined up. For my own well being I now hae 4 bolts.
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:12 AM   #20
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
A couple of months ago we ran into a traveling vender in Gettysburg PA. One of his feature items was a devise that connects to the front leg up & down switch with a remote control so you could raise and lower your rig from the driver’s seat. Since than I’ve lost his card and haven’t been able to find it anywhere. If my memory serves me I think it cost around $200. Has anyone seen this or know where to find it?

I wish I would have saved his card, this devise would simplify hitching and unhitching with a bed saver.

Ed