Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
GMC -OEM BRAKE CONTROLLER

Anyone have the factory brake controller in there new gmc/chevy, was wondering about how they are compared to the PRODIGY that I have now in my 2006 gmc, getting a new 2009 GMC dually and has the factory 1 ALREADY in it.

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Only hauled Montana about a mile so far but hauled a flatbed 200 miles and it worked fine. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787

I have a 2007.5 GMC with the built in brake system and have pulled the Monty around 8000 miles and so far not a problem. We hardly feel the trailer back there when braking.
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I have the factory brake controller in our 08 Chevy and have pulled about 8000 miles with it without any problems. I adjusted the controller to do a test and you could feel the tug from the Monty. You just need to adjust the setting to suite you.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't believe Chevy (or Ford) actually designed the brake controllers themselves. That doesn't make financial sense. It's been a while since I checked but I have Ford's integrated controller and I recall it was provided by Prodigy, just redesigned to fit into Ford's dash and with additional features. Just ask your dealer and they should confirm if the integrated brake controller is a new design (hmmm, be cautious) or an OEM-provided design by Prodigy or other expert (better option, no sense re-inventing the wheel).

I have a Ford and it came with the integrated brake controller option. I much prefer this one since it turned out to be better - it's a long story on how I determined that, so I won't state the long details here.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I had a Prodigy on my previous truck. It was a very good unit. One feature I liked was the boost you could set. I now have a Chev. integrated controller and love it but its different than the Prodigy. While the Prodigy is good I don't see them comparable with the built ins. If you had a Prodigy and then a built in you would know the difference.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The IBC worked great on electric brakes, but when we went to electric over hydraulic for the disk brakes the IBC wouldn't work. We had to go back to the Prodigy, which I think for the money is the best buy. But most hydraulic disk brakes have a fix now and the IBC on the GM's will work. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Got an '07 Chevy with the IBC and though I have not towed the Monte that much with it, I do tow a 8ft X 14ft electric hydraulic dump trailer fully loaded with dirt, gravel and even a tractor with it alot and have had no problems at all with it! I do check my setting on the IBC before taking off and my driveway shows the skid marks to prove it. You can almost set it to high and the trailer will actually stop you instead of the TV (which is not the best thing for the trailer brakes). I really like the IBC. Had another unit on my previous TV and never could get it set right or to work right for me. Maybe it was just me!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
IBC = Integated Brake Controller. Another one for the abbreviations. I knew it couldn't be the root beer company.

I see the abbreviation of the integrated brake controller as TBC (Trailer Brake Controller) on many websites but that can refer to an underdash non-integrated one as well, couldn't it?

My vote is for IBC. I can drink to that one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote