Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Difficulty starting Power Stroke

Recently I have had a problem starting my 2000 F250 Power Stroke Diesel after it has sat for a couple of days. I let the glow plugs warm up, sometimes 2 or 3 times, before the engine will start. When it does, I get a lot of gray smoke. I have replaced both batteries, and thinking of replacing the plugs themselves, but don't know how, so probably a trip to the dealer is in order. Anybody have a suggestion on what to check next?

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
The first thing is to read the codes if you know someone with a code reader. The problem will probably show up in the codes. There are about 256 of them. My Superchips 1705 programmer does the job for me.

The most common problem for the 7.3 is the CPS. When you are trying to start watch the RPM gauge. If it is different than normal then your CPS may going out. I always carry a spare in my glove box. But it should show up on the codes. It is fairly easy to replaced.

Check your fuel filter. Always keep it changed. You can get a good price at powerstrokeshop.com

I have some info about checking glow plugs but I would have to look for it so if you want to do it yourself send me some mail.

IMPORTANT
Another thing if your in cold weather make sure you plug in your engine heater so the glow plugs don't work so hard. My heater cable is a standard 115 plug located real close to the battery on the drivers side. I always use mine in Florida when it gets to 50 or lower. Mine acts like yours if I don't plug it in in cold weather.

Also you can go to thedieselstop.com and do some searching on your problem.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
TRY THE HEATER FIRST. GLOW PLUGS WILL COST AT A DEALER.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
scattershot, haveing had this same problem in the past with several pickups, I can tell you it's USUALLY a glow plug problem. It could be caused by the glow plugs themselves, the glow plug relay, or the glow plug wiring harness which is part of the valve cover gaskets. On the Power Strokes, I take them to the dealer as it's a pretty good chore to test and diagnose the problem. The older diesel engines were much easier with the glow plugs outside the valve covers where you could get to them. I usually just plug the block heater in when mine starts acting up, then take it to the dealer first chance I get. There are other things that could be causing the problem but the glow plugs are the most common one. The gray smoke is just unburned fuel that clears up once it gets to firing right.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks for the tips, guys. The problem actaully started when the weather was warm, so I'm pretty sure it's the plugs, too. Just hoping not to have to spend the cash.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The easiest way to check the glow plugs is with a test light. The hard part on a 7.3 PSD is to get to them. Remove the valve cover and remove the wire going to the glow plug. Take the test light and hook the clip to a POSITIVE terminal on the battery as opposed to a ground. Check by touching a ground with the probe it should light up. Now touch the terminal on the glow plug and the test light should light. If it does not the glow plug is bad. It takes a 10mm deep socket to change the glow plug. Do not overtighten.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Scattershot - DOn't know if this meanas anything, but the neighbor had the same problem of hard starting and it turned out that the fuel rail was loosing pressure, sitting over night or for an extended period of time. He took it to the dealer and they had to replace a $15.00 dollar check valve to keep the fuel line from bleeding back to tank... Simple cheap fix. I hope that is all that is wrong with yours John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
You mentioned smoke...gray or white...or could it have been either? White smoke is an indicator of low compression, water in the fuel, air in fuel, bad injector, or a bad head gasket.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Here is a link for glow plug replacement.

http://andersonimprovements.com/hobb...sandrelay.html
Old 10-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I went to the diesel website suggested by lightningjack11, and the consensus of the threads I read of similar problems was that it was the glow plug relay. It's $24.00, and easily installed, so I'll do that first, along with a fuel filter. Appreciated the help, Keep the suggestions coming. I may have to try something else if this doesn't work.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
scattershot, I was going to suggest going to an international dealer but if you got one for $24 you got a pretty good deal already. I had to replace the relay about every couple of years on my '00 F250 and after the warranty was up I started shopping at international truck dealers and found them to be better quality parts and a lot cheaper. The way i could tell was when I would turn the switch the light's would dim a bit when the relay would actually kick in and start warming the glow plugs.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Went to NAPA. They have two parts that will work, one is $85.00, NAPA # GPR110, and NAPA GPR #109, for $26.00. Guess which one I bought? According to the above mentioned Diesel website, there is essentially no difference. One may be an improved model or something, I don't know. We'll see how it holds up.
Thanks for all the help.