Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
ScaryPapa
Established Member

M.O.C. #30351
F350 Diesel 6-Speed Shifting in Tow Haul

I think is just the way it is programmed, but occasionally on hills my truck will downshift to 3rd or 2nd when towing. Twice this summer I had a tough time getting it to shift up at the end of the hill. I had to almost floor it to get it to shift. Is this typical of Ford 6-speeds? The dealer says everything is OK but obviously can't replicate it without the 5'er. Also, the trans temps are fine throughout the drive.

Is anyone aware of after market programming that will improve this?
Thanks

Old 11-07-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Same here. At the end of the grade I'll tap it out of T/H to get it to shift back up then go right back into T/H.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:02 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
That is the way mine works too. Turning Tow/Haul OFF and then ON is the quick solution.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #4
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryPapa View Post
I think is just the way it is programmed, but occasionally on hills my truck will downshift to 3rd or 2nd when towing. Twice this summer I had a tough time getting it to shift up at the end of the hill. I had to almost floor it to get it to shift. Is this typical of Ford 6-speeds? The dealer says everything is OK but obviously can't replicate it without the 5'er. Also, the trans temps are fine throughout the drive.

Is anyone aware of after market programming that will improve this?
Thanks
I have aftermarket tuning. At first I had tuning by others, but started tuning myself after my turbo failed and I upgraded to the 2015+ turbo. The previous tuner couldn't get the turbo tables right in the ECM. I discovered he copied the tables from a 2016 model, but got the data columns pasted in the wrong place (exhaust brake added extra columns to tuning that didn't exist in the 13 models). Fixed that and things ran great. On the trans issue you describe, I completely changed the up and downshift schedules for regular and T/H mode as well as shift pressure/TC lock up and other tables for driveability with the added power the new turbo allowed. The aftermarket tuning software can manipulate the various tables (speed vs throttle position for commanding shifts). My truck now downshifts out of 6th at 45 mph. Stock was down in the mid 30mph range. I did reduce the T/H upshift mph from 2-3 and 3-4 and it helps get it out of that scenario you described. The only time I had to use the T/H button to force an upshift was a 5-6 shift. I adjusted the 6-5 downshift at higher pedal positions to keep it from hunting gears between 5 & 6 and it's no longer an issue. My towing MPG went up as well (not much around .5 mpg). Before the change, it dropped down to 5th at the slightest throttle input. I've dialed it in and I'm happy with the changes, but I still tweak things here and there.

This is more than you probably want to do, but it can be improved with tuning.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sometimes simple is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I have aftermarket tuning. At first I had tuning by others, but started tuning myself after my turbo failed and I upgraded to the 2015+ turbo. The previous tuner couldn't get the turbo tables right in the ECM. I discovered he copied the tables from a 2016 model, but got the data columns pasted in the wrong place (exhaust brake added extra columns to tuning that didn't exist in the 13 models). Fixed that and things ran great. On the trans issue you describe, I completely changed the up and downshift schedules for regular and T/H mode as well as shift pressure/TC lock up and other tables for driveability with the added power the new turbo allowed. The aftermarket tuning software can manipulate the various tables (speed vs throttle position for commanding shifts). My truck now downshifts out of 6th at 45 mph. Stock was down in the mid 30mph range. I did reduce the T/H upshift mph from 2-3 and 3-4 and it helps get it out of that scenario you described. The only time I had to use the T/H button to force an upshift was a 5-6 shift. I adjusted the 6-5 downshift at higher pedal positions to keep it from hunting gears between 5 & 6 and it's no longer an issue. My towing MPG went up as well (not much around .5 mpg). Before the change, it dropped down to 5th at the slightest throttle input. I've dialed it in and I'm happy with the changes, but I still tweak things here and there.

This is more than you probably want to do, but it can be improved with tuning.
I just turn off T/H then back on and don`t drive over 65 for milage improvement.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:23 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have a 2014 with a custom towing tune. The exhaust brake kicks in and will hold you back on a downhill very well. As said above, if you want to force it you can turn off tow/haul and then re-engage, but I never bother as I usually need the exhaust brake to hold me back on steep grades. If it's very steep, like 7% or 9%, you may want to start down slower to keep it from revving too high.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Happens to me too; pulling up some hills.
Other day it happened with no trailer (not in tow mode) but I had engine brake assist on. At bottom of hill had a hard time getting here to shift up.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I quit using Tow/Haul except in extreme situations because of this issue. Regular mode works just fine for most roads - and gets a lot better mileage too.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #9
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
I know not of what you folks speak.
2016 F350
Hook up, select Tow/Haul, select exhaust brake, hit the highway. Once up to speed, 58-61mph, set the cruise control. Never a problem. Up hill, down hill, no issues.
My experience.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:47 PM   #10
Rebel702
Established Member

M.O.C. #21201
Can't you just use the manual shift button to move it up or down as needed. Have not any issue with my 2018 not automatically shifting up or down but occasionally do use the manual shift button to go from 6 to 5 if I want to pass someone without putting my foot into it.
Shift button works even in Drive and not in Manual mode.

Jim & Pat / '18 Montana 3811MS / '18 Ford F350SD / Pullrite ISR2300 SuperGlide
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #11
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
My 2013 2500 silverado with a 6.6 Duramax doesnt want to come out of overdrive like my old F250 with a 6.0 The F250 would come out of overdrive going over bridges on a interstate with the cruise control on and the Silverado just wants to stay in overdrive when on these small Indiana hills. Is this normal?
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:46 PM   #12
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Hills / mountains may be the difference. Not just the hill/ mountain but the elevation changing.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #13
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
I have noticed the issue with my 2019 F350 as well. I have a banks derringer and 4" exhaust at the top of the hill it stays in 5th for quite a while. I haven't tried disabling tow/haul, I will if it happens again because it can be irritating. I have noticed if i take the cruise off when approaching a hill and do not put my foot in it I can keep it in 6th gear for the most part, that keeps the tranny temp down. But i have not had that get above 215 degrees so far. So I think I am in good shape. Thanks for the info!