Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2020, 04:55 AM   #41
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We keep learning what tires to stay away from at someone else’s expense.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #42
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We keep learning what tires to stay away from at someone else’s expense.
Lynwood
About 85 - 90% of reported RV trailer tire failures do not have an accompanying statement about the cause. So it must have been those China made tires, right? Well guess what? USA made RV trailer tires also fail when not properly maintained.

A very high percentage of RV trailer tires are not built in the USA or Canada. Probably 90% from China.

It's just hypocritical to call all RV trailer tires made in China, "China Bombs", and then follow it up with: but this one works for me. YUK!
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #43
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My point was why not buy tires that don’t give trouble? We know which ones they are.
Lynwood
Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #44
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
About 85 - 90% of reported RV trailer tire failures do not have an accompanying statement about the cause. So it must have been those China made tires, right?......It's just hypocritical to call all RV trailer tires made in China, "China Bombs", and then follow it up with: but this one works for me. YUK!
I don't understand your response. Every tire failure reported here and on other RV forums is based on anecdotal evidence. If you have some factual data, it might be edifying for the rest of us, so please share.

I've been following tire threads here, and on four other RV forums, for more than five years. The only reported Sailun failure appears to be related to road hazard. The countless reports of Maxxis, Towmax, Ranier, and other foreign-made tire failures could be from any number of things, but one commonality is they're mostly Chinese-made ST tires. But, I'll give that we're now seeing some American-made Endurance failures, too.

While I have no allegiance to Sailun, yes, they work for me, and apparently many others. And for those whom use them on 6k axles and 80psi wheels, they have an extra margin of built-in safety even though they need not be maxed out at 110psi.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #45
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Isn't it really a numbers game? If the vast majority of RV tires are manufactured in China doesn't it follow that most of the failures are with Chinese tires? Since Sailun Tires are also made in China then the real issue isn't the country of manufacture but the quality of manufacture. As with most anything we can buy, quality products tend to rise to the top and inferior products tend to get discussed often.

Forums like this will yield both facts and opinion. The sheer number of reported failures in OEM tires definitely creates a pretty clear picture of where the problems are and which products should be avoided...country is irrelevant. Most of them are from China...just a fact.

There really aren't that many tires that continue to inspire positive reports, which to me makes it a lot easier to make an informed decision about which tires to consider purchasing. I bought Sailun tires, also made in China, based solely on reports from this and other forums. So far the reports are accurate. It's a quality tire...country is irrelevant.

Keep the info coming...
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #46
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
I’ve been writing about RV trailer tires for a little more than 17 years. I have amassed a huge reference library I can draw from and reference when needed.

Most readers get gone as posts get past the 200 word threshold. It takes much more than that to explain the pros & cons about RV trailer tires (ST & RST). I know, there are others for those with 8000# or larger axles. I’m just going to address those at 7000# or less. Original Equipment tires (aka OEM) have evolved tremendously since I started researching them in early 2003.

One of the first things a RV trailer owner must learn is the tires on their trailers have a major fitment difference when compared to tires on automotive vehicles. The tires on your automotive vehicles are required to provide a reasonable amount of load capacity reserves. The automotive manufacturer factors in that reserve load capacity with a minimum cold PSI setting that allows for extra weight.

The RV trailer tire fitments do not require any load capacity reserves. That means the trailer manufacturer can fit a 6000# axle with two 3000# maximum load tires and it will pass DOT certification requirements. All ST tires started out with maximum speed ratings from 62 – 65 MPH limits. When a consumer has loaded their trailer to or very close to its maximum cargo capacity the tires are going to degrade rapidly. The original ball park figure was 3-5 years. If it was a consumers practice to travel at 70 MPH they would be very lucky to get even close to the 2 year mark before the treads separated from the carcass, thus causing a catastrophic failure.

The Sailun tires are very popular. Let’s look at why (IMO). Goodyear developed a LT235/85R16 LRG (G614) all steel tire and dubbed it RST (Regional Service Trailer). It was earmarked for the more heavy trailers with 7000# axles and became a popular “plus sized” – and very successful – tire for 6000# axles. Sailun was the first brand to mimic the G614 and beat all other ST tire manufacturers to the market by about 6 months. Sailun did not go to sleep and was the very first to develop the all steel ST235/80R16 LRG & ST235/85R16 LRG tires. They became very popular because they could provide the much needed load capacity reserves needed to extend the service life of the tire and with a 75 MPH speed restriction.

About 4 years ago RVIA made a demanding recommendation to their members – about 98% of all trailer manufacturers – to provide a minimum of 10% in load capacity reserves with all OE tire fitments. What a plus for Sailun. They could jump into the OEM market and provide OE tires with way more than the RVIA 10% recommendation for every 6000# or 7000# axle.

Many may ask the question of why the two different sizes; ST235/80R16 LRG & ST235/85R16 LRG. If you’re going to sell tires in the USA market you’re going to have to know the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. This is a complete tire size; ST235/80R16 so is ST235/85R16, the proper nomenclature is designated size. To replace the 80 LRE with another 80 LRG is not a plus size because both have the same physical dimensions and conform to the same load inflation chart. However, the 85 is a plus sized tire and will require the installer to use a different procedure for their fitment. The trailers federal certification label would no longer be valid and the use of a supplemental tire labels are authorized by NHTSA.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #47
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks very helpful.
Lynwood
Old 07-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #48
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:

Did you discover the cause of the failure?
I never did find the cause of the failure. After I got the new tires, I didn't care any more.

OK, I've done some crawling around on my camper, and had to pull my memory banks, and double checked with the Random Access Memory bank of this family, and she said, "they" said, 90 PSI. I have 80 in my Herculies, so I'm "upping" them to at lease 90 before the next trip. Although, I've not had any issues with these.

Now about the rim. After crawling under the trailer and taking photos of all 4 tires to make out the markings on the actual rims, this is what I could figure out. It took all 4 rims to put it all together as every one has one letter or number worn away or unreadable.

08 16 B B22

I'm not sure what all that means.

So, I also took a closer look at the sticker

Here's what it says:

Front Avant: 655 KPA / 95 PSI
Rear Arriere: 655 KPA / 95 PSI
Spare De Secours : 655 KPA / 95 PSI

So, I'll "up" the air in them to 90 psi, even though the tires themselves are rated higher. AND there no reason why I should ever tow faster than 65 mph anyway!

Well every one, thanks for your comments and questions. You made me look!

Still, I like these Herculies tires. The tread on them is just so dang deep and 14 ply!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #49
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
If you want to be sure everything is in top shape where the rubber meets the road, you might also think about getting the wheel alignment checked. "A slosh bit" out of alignment can make a grown man cry after making an investment in new tires, to find a bad wear pattern. Yes, I did cry...
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:46 AM   #50
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
This is basically a Keystone RV trailer forum. So this is about Keystone Original Equipment (OE) tires and their replacements.

Let’s look at the newest keystone generic owner’s manual. Many of the subjects in such owner’s manuals are mandates from the governing body, DOT, NHTSA or VMVSS and some CFRs.

Here’s what the manual says. It is a mandate from NHTSA to be part of the owner’s manual for.

“To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.”

Who does that, right? It’s best to remember that I write about how it’s supposed to be done. It’s the consumers’ decision to do it otherwise. (Their way).

The basic rule for all replacement tires throughout the entire industry reads like this; Replacement tires must be of equal size and have a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires provided. (That’s via cold inflation pressures).

Individual tire sizes present a problem for most RV trailer consumers. One of the major confusion factors is tire size. The proper nomenclature for tire size is; Designated Size. The sizes used by manufacturers of RV trailers may be metric, P, LT ad the most common ST. To use an LT in place of a ST is a major deviation in designated size.

Let’s look at a couple of hypotheticals. The ST225/75R15 – that’s a complete designated size – is manufactured with four load ranges, C, D, E, & F. Using an “E” to replace a “D” is not an upgrade. It’s the same designated size with increased load capacity via higher inflation pressures. All tires in that designated size will conform to the vehicle certification label because they all conform to identical load inflation charts for all load ranges.

Deviations, known as “plus sizing”, are tires from another designated size being used as replacements for the OE size. To follow the instructions in your owner’s manual you would ask the vehicle manufacturer to approve deviations. I’ve never seen a trailer owner mention asking their manufacturer about approved replacements. Anyhow, say you use a ST235/85R16 LRE to replace a ST235/80R16 LRE. That 85 is a plus sized tire because at 80 PSI it provides 3640# of load capacity whereas the 80 tire provides a maximum of 3520# and the load inflation chart for one is not applicable to the other. And the 85 is wider and taller than the 80.

Do not confuse designated size with brands. Do not confuse durability with load capacity. Country of origin does not eliminate standards. Any tire you have on your vehicle with the DOT logo is a highway tire and has – on paper – met all of the certification standards.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #51
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
...... Anyhow, say you use a ST235/85R16 LRE to replace a ST235/80R16 LRE. That 85 is a plus sized tire because at 80 PSI it provides 3640# of load capacity whereas the 80 tire provides a maximum of 3520# and the load inflation chart for one is not applicable to the other. And the 85 is wider and taller than the 80.......
So, is it your opinion based on the foregoing that no one should ever use an 85 sized tire if the RV mfgr. originally installed an 80 sized tire, even though either tire can be aired at x psi to x psi according to their respective inflation charts? (I understand the 85 tire is slightly wider and taller.)
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #52
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
So, is it your opinion based on the foregoing that no one should ever use an 85 sized tire if the RV mfgr. originally installed an 80 sized tire, even though either tire can be aired at x psi to x psi according to their respective inflation charts? (I understand the 85 tire is slightly wider and taller.)
Without the manufacturers approval or option it would be a misapplication to use the 85 as a replacement for the OE 80 tire.

All LRE tires provide their maximum load capacity at 80 PSI.

NOTE: One of the reasons RV trailer tire replacements are so confusing is the lack of vehicle manufacture support for those needed replacements.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #53
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
If you have the necessary clearances, then the only fault that I could see would be a slightly higher center of gravity. It would also slightly raise the rear section of the trailer, which may or may not be a good thing. Oh, may add a couple of pounds weight as well!
Hmm...heavier to lift when changing tires also. A little more rolling resistance too. Consumes more natural resources and causes more pollution to build and transport.
Darn...boy did I screw up by putting them on my camper!!
Old 07-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #54
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve been around this forum from its beginning and joined in 2004. When I say China bomb what I’m saying is the tires that came on Montana campers for years were junk and all came from China. They would blow out without indication they were about to. Sure some people didn’t take care of them but not all. I’m sure some people know more about tires than I do but to say all tire build to some standard and the tires should not have problems tells me they haven’t been around here as long as I have. These tires got their reputation for a reason and it’s not because they gave great service. We now have at least two tires that do give great service but not the old ST China made bombs.
Lynwood
Old 07-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #55
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I’ve been around this forum from its beginning and joined in 2004. When I say China bomb what I’m saying is the tires that came on Montana campers for years were junk and all came from China. They would blow out without indication they were about to. Sure some people didn’t take care of them but not all. I’m sure some people know more about tires than I do but to say all tire build to some standard and the tires should not have problems tells me they haven’t been around here as long as I have. These tires got their reputation for a reason and it’s not because they gave great service. We now have at least two tires that do give great service but not the old ST China made bombs.
Lynwood
In 2003 my long time Navy friend and I and our wives sold our houses and went full time RVing. My friend had a 2004 Montana and we had a 2003 Everest. Both Keystone built. The Montana's GVWR was 14K and our Everest was 14.1K. All of our tires were built in the USA. Our Everest had ST235/80R16 LRD GY Marathons. Our friends Montana had LT235/85R16 LRE Uniroyal's. Our LRD tires provided 3000# of load capacity at 65 PSI. The Uniroyal's provided 3042# of load capacity at 80 PSI. Both of our trailers had vehicle certified 6000# GAWR axles. No reserve load capacity and 65 MPH for my ST tires and 99 MPH speed restriction on the LT tires. During the first year we both had numerous tire failures. We increased our tire load capacity to 3420# and the tire problems nearly disappeared. That's about the time I started writing about tires.

Keystone used LT tires on all late model 2004 and all 2005 models and most of the early 2006 models on trailers with 6000# axles. They were mostly Uniroyal's. The failure rate was dismal and Keystone guit using the LT tires until GY came out with the G614 for 7000# axles.

Sometime in 2007/2008 Uniroyal was tagged with a huge recall of the LT235/85R16 LRE tires. They didn't have enough on hand to replace the recalled tires. They substituted the Michelin XPS. That made a lot of Keystone trailer owners still using the Uniroyal's real happy.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #56
Patrickdoran
Established Member

M.O.C. #26161
All good info

Man, I am really glad I read this post along with all the threads. I just bought a 2020 Montana and see that I have Rainier tires. I havent driven the camper that much due to this COVID business, but after reading all the threads, I plan on replacing my tires with something better.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #57
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickdoran View Post
Man, I am really glad I read this post along with all the threads. I just bought a 2020 Montana and see that I have Rainier tires. I havent driven the camper that much due to this COVID business, but after reading all the threads, I plan on replacing my tires with something better.
https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st/
Old 07-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #58
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I've seen many on this thread mention the 110psi limit on aluminum rims. What mine has. A question that keeps jumping into my brain is that when running down a hot highway, my tires that were inflated to 105psi @70 degrees is now running @120 degrees and 124psi. This is well over the max psi of my rim. Is it, like my tire, engineered to handle that increase in psi? Been giving some consideration when the time comes, to switch both rims and tires to 17.5 inch. I run our rig right at max load just south of 17k#.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #59
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I've seen many on this thread mention the 110psi limit on aluminum rims. What mine has. A question that keeps jumping into my brain is that when running down a hot highway, my tires that were inflated to 105psi Why 105 PSI? Is that the recommended cold inflation pressure depicted on the tire placard? @70 degrees is now running @120 degrees and 124psi. This is well over the max psi of my rim. Is it, like my tire, engineered to handle that increase in psi? YES! Been giving some consideration when the time comes, to switch both rims and tires to 17.5 inch. I run our rig right at max load just south of 17k#.
Your axles are 14K and your tires are providing 4K in load capacity reserves above GAWRs. What's the problem?

At 105 PSI your maximum tire load capacity drops a total of 440#.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #60
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickdoran View Post
This trailer came with the Raniers. I was in FL, bought in TX. Had the sales guy send me a pic of them. Investigated as much as I could about them, found nothing that said they were anything more than OEM tires (cheap)....and I've had enough of that, so had them install Sailuns before I got back to pick it up. I just read (may have been this forum) of a recent Ranier failure on a new(er) trailer IIRC.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote