Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Angry Trying to Restart the Economy??

This is not being political at all, and lets try to keep it that way as we exchange ideas and comments. I have a feeling after they released the three step approach to restart the economy yesterday I really feel they are not sure how to do it? Absolutely, safety of the public is paramount. Here in Wisconsin our Governor did not wait to hear what the Corona Task Force recommended at 1700. At 1300 that same day he locked us down for another month! No question asked, no real specifics either. From reading the state news there are a lot of upset people in our state. Some are trying to organize a protest march to the capital in Madison just like they did in Michigan. I don't know what to think, for the last month I have been "camping" in the Montana right along side our garage. I hope depression doesn't set in!

Old 04-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I agree, I am sure they don't know exactly how to do it. There are so many unknowns with this that they are somewhat guessing. I think the approach laid out was a fairly good one. We need to move ahead slowly and deliberately as to not have a set back, but we need to move forward and start getting back to somewhat a normal life.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
Old 04-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I am curious what things will look like by mid to late June...maybe warm weather will help. I am ready to get things moving again. But this germ ain't going away. I think those of us who are cautious will be back to wearing masks in the fall and winter. I am ready to get the shelter-in-place done and over, then take reasonable precautions to protect me and my fellow man. I don't think things will go back to the way it was - but then I thought the same thing after 911.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Old 04-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
And here Bob I thought you were telling us you went out an bought a new Monty
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
Old 04-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
I don't know what to say about what's going on these days. I know that I have been very down about whats going on, but in the same vain I don't want to get sick either.

Have a buddy that has a camp ground. Its a small one only 42 sites. Open all year here in the Smoky mountains. He can't bring any one in to the camp ground until May. Another friend has rental cabin's and he dead in the water also.

SO here we sit, only GOD knows for how long.... In the mean time, at least we have this forum.

Charlie
Old 04-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Until we get enough testing materials and tracking personel as well as PPP for folks who have to work closely with one another it's going to be hard to reopen much that counts and right now we can't even do that for medical workers everywhere. We could probably open some small businesses if you could count on them being careful, but they need folks confident enough to spend money and that could be a problem.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Patience will help us all get through this.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
Old 04-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Patience will help us all get through this.

That was a short response, but you are so right. I hope I can find the patience, thanks!
Old 04-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’d love to see things back to normal or at least as close as possible. I’d like to head out west to see some friends in several places. Our governor is a doctor and I WILL do what he thinks is best for the state. I’ll listen to the doctors and scientists first.
Lynwood
Old 04-18-2020, 05:57 AM   #10
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I have no 'death wish' to go back to whatever is normal for our Upstate NY area until this epidemic is under control. The cases of COVID continue to grow and while the Governor seems to think the line of new cases is flattening, all it's doing is bouncing up and down depending on how cases are reported to NYDOH.

We are at 253 Saratoga County cases and luckily few deaths at 7 and all but one being 78 or older with underlying health conditions. The neighboring county (Schenectady) with 90K fewer inhabitants 'blew' by us with 267 and 17 deaths. It isn't going away. Then there is the adjoining State Capital's County, Albany with nearly 700 cases and about 30 deaths (flaky news from there)

Our Governor (Cuomo) has shut non essential businesses until at least May 15th. I'm of the opinion that it might actually be June.

Will there be a second wave as some "authorities" seem to think?

The protesters - I wonder who has really been organizing them. Yes, it has and is a hardship, but what do they want? To be able to go back to work and produce products that few can or want to purchase at this time? And for what purpose? Small businesses seldom have the ready dollars to support the return to work - and at the 15 or more bucks/hour that many demanded and got via law. Economics 101/2 in play here.

The US will recover but at a cost? And how long will it take? I have nary a clue but it will be a while.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 04-18-2020, 06:28 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Regardless of how impatient you, me, we get, you can only be accountable for your own actions. If the shelter-in-place order is still in effect where you are residing I hope you are not so bold and crass to think you are above the mandate, you can ignore it simply because you are board or a bit inconvenienced.

A few week ago they were screaming our leadership was doing too much. Then they started screaming they didn't do enough. Now the masses are screaming we've had enough.

It all boils down to the same problem we've had for a number of years now with our culture .... "it's all about ME." The "ME" generation. Me, Me, Me.... what's in all this for Me! But God, Heaven forbid if I'm the one who get's sick! Damn the government, Damn the world, why didn't THEY do more for me!

Take personal responsibility and be patient a bit longer folks. Don't fall victim to the mass hysteria that's brewing right now.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #12
Elevguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21345
My mom is 91 and is in the hospital with covid take it seriously. She will recover. Until we have a testing system in place your just rolling the dice.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #13
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
This is not being political at all, and lets try to keep it that way as we exchange ideas and comments. I have a feeling after they released the three step approach to restart the economy yesterday I really feel they are not sure how to do it? Absolutely, safety of the public is paramount. Here in Wisconsin our Governor did not wait to hear what the Corona Task Force recommended at 1700. At 1300 that same day he locked us down for another month! No question asked, no real specifics either. From reading the state news there are a lot of upset people in our state. Some are trying to organize a protest march to the capital in Madison just like they did in Michigan. I don't know what to think, for the last month I have been "camping" in the Montana right along side our garage. I hope depression doesn't set in!
Me think you are making it political just by asking this question. The people that are making these decisions for us are politicos and they are bias even if they will not admit it. I could go on and on about my personal point of view, but won't because it does not matter to most here. But I will tell you one thing, I do not plan to let any politico tell me what is best for me or my family. I have been thinking for myself for almost 69 yrs. and do not plan to change. Rant over.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Some people are saying ‘we have the right to do whatever we wish’ NO you do not have the right to endanger other people’s lives. If they have a death wish go jump off a bridge but don’t take your grandparents or others with you.
Lynwood
Old 04-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
Me think you are making it political just by asking this question. The people that are making these decisions for us are politicos and they are bias even if they will not admit it. I could go on and on about my personal point of view, but won't because it does not matter to most here. But I will tell you one thing, I do not plan to let any politico tell me what is best for me or my family. I have been thinking for myself for almost 69 yrs. and do not plan to change. Rant over.
I agree with you. I don't take to government running my life. I do see the advantage in keeping distance and other precautions to prevent the spread. But then I feel the same way about the flu season every year. If I want to load the camper, which we are again May 1, and go to a legally open for business location and hole up there then we will.

There was talk for a minute of closing the mountain trout season this year. Go ahead. If the government thinks a guy fishing alone miles from anybody else is dangerous then call me an outlaw.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We may not want it to be a political issue....but it is. Some politicians want the ban lifted and go back to work, the other side wants it to remain in place.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t see why I couldn’t SAFELY take my camper to Wyoming and boondock for the rest of the summer. I would be safe at fuel stops stay overnight at rest areas or Walmart and spend the summer miles away from anyone except to go out once a week for supplies.
Lynwood
Old 04-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #18
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Not to be controversial however I suspect may of the comments come from those that are retired and do not rely on generating income or like me have employees that need income. I will survive this while extremely costly to me (6 figures) I think you have to walk in the shoes of others, especially those in need.

While there should be restrictions on those businesses that require social gathering the business that are completely void of social exposure should be exempt and allowed to function with guidlines like the construction trades.

Think about this, so 10's of millions of people are out of work, told to stay home, while most could be at work wearing mask sanitizing their work spaces and functioning in a relatively safe manor . But here is the current reality those 10's of millions of people who are at home are congregating at a small handful of local grocery store once per week. they are doing it in a safe manor, the store are being responsible, the public is being responsible and it seems to be OK with minimal risk. These practices can be duplicated in may work places that are currently shut down. Then the Gov can take that PPP money they ran out of and distribute to a mush smaller contingency of business that simply cannot open right now.

While I think a short term shutdown was warranted I think most now understand the seriousness.

I would never put my employees in harms way, however I have a business that has little to know close social contact. I have to agree with many in Gov that be carful the cure is not worse than the virus itself...

I will demonstrate hypocrisy our small city is building a new farmers market and community rec center while construction has not stopped all private and non gov construction is at stand still. We called the city to call them out they said city construction projects are authorized by the mayor. Again this was a farmers market.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #19
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I think exchanging viewpoints and promoting communication of differing opinions is a good thing for a democratic society. However I am just wondering how many epidemologists have posted in this thread? This is a painful time for the world. Pitting the needs of earning a living against a genuine threat to public health. We don't know what normal will look like in the future but I do know that it will be that ME generation and those thereafter that will have to deal with, fix, undo, continue whatever it is that the current generation makes of this pandemic. Everyone stay safe because if we don't get this right I am afraid the worst is yet to come.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #20
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
..............Everyone stay safe because if we don't get this right I am afraid the worst is yet to come.

And a good reason that our government, US and states, is advocating shelter in place and has closed non essential businesses. This is copied frofrom today's Drudge Report:

"
"Around a third of participants in a Massachusetts study tested positive for antibodies linked with coronavirus, according to researchers.
The Mass. General study took samples from 200 residents on the street in Chelsea, MA. Participants remained anonymous and provided a drop of blood to researchers, who were able to produce a result in ten minutes with a rapid test.

Sixty-four of the participants tested positive – a “sobering” result, according to Thomas Ambrosino, Chelsea’s city manager.
“We've long thought that the reported numbers are vastly under-counting what the actual infection is," Ambrosino told the Boston Globe. “Those reported numbers are based on positive COVID-19 tests, and we're all aware that a very, very small percentage of people in Chelsea and everywhere are getting COVID-19 tests."

Then an MIT report about the positive effects of staying home:
http://news.mit.edu/2020/new-model-q...19-spread-0416
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Closed Thread