Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Generator won't stay on

Good Morning,
Here I am with another problem. When not using our 5th wheel, we normally run our generator, (which is installed in the 5th wheel) once a month with a load on it. (was told that's what we should do for the maintenance of it, not good to have it sit for months at a time)

The generator will start but won't stay on, runs for a few seconds, maybe a minute then shuts down. Last month it was hard to get it going, but it did go and we ran it for 40 minutes.

Was hoping to go South for part of the winter and do some dry camping at military campgrounds, this is not good.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do?
Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't know about your generator, but here is a suggestion, turn off all the small breakers, then start the generator, once it is running for around a minute or two, turn on each breaker slowly. Maybe it will stay on then.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If it is an Onan generator, whenever it shuts off, there are error codes that can be read to determine the reason for the shutdown. If you look in the owner's manual, it will describe the procedure to follow to troubleshoot the shutdown. Look around page 21. Here is a link to the Onan Marquis Gold 5500 propane model manual if that happens to be what you have:

Onan Marquis Generator Manual

Hope this helps,
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Marge,
Bingo's recommendation is best. After checking the code you might check propane. I jumped right into expecting a propane problem. If you are feeding off the far side propane tank try moving it over to the main side where the switch is located. Many folks have had problems with the regulator on the far side not allowing enough pressure.
Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
I also have a Onan 5500 propane generator that has given me problems in past. 1. Would only run off right side tank, found out the regulator on left side had oil in it restricting propane flow rate. Replaced it and fixed problem. 2. Had another problem 6 months later generator kept shutting down after couple minutes running. Found out that when I switched tanks and opened the other tank valve I just cranked it open, found that one must open valve slow to prevent the OPD device in tank from closing which causes tank to run at to slow a rate. Took tank out bounced on ground to reset the OPD device reinstalled tank opened valve a little till I didn't hear the gas running then all the way, haven't had any problem since following these steps. This was recommended by my dealer service manager. I have 192 hours on my runtime clock with no problems. I hope this helps with your problem.

Steve
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On another note, I am glad the topic was brought up about running the generator once a month under load. Will be going to the mini-storage tomorrow to do just that. In reading the owner's manual, I did note that the recommendation is to run the generator for two hours at 1/2 load. Therefore, I have decided that I will occupy the rig in the mini-storage, extend the slides, and in order to fulfill the requirements also figured out that I will most likely be forced to take the hi-def Directv box with me, raise the satellite and endure a couple hours of the NFL playoffs (Oh, woe is me!!!!). It is a very dirty job, but someone has to do it. I am sure DW will understand??????????????? That is my story and I am sticking to it. Hee Hee!! By the way, our dealer stated up-front that the primary problem with these generators is indeed the propane feed, but the troubleshooting procedure posted is very good information to keep handy.
Bingo
Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mainer (Marge), does your generator run on propane? If not, and runs on gasoline or diesel, I've heard these fuels age quicker than propane and one must use stabilizer for long term storage or else siphon out the old fuel and put in new. This is another reason why propane is a preferred fuel source for an RV generator besides propane being at the rig anyway.

Now I know why Bingo wants to upgrade to 40# bottles to increase runtime for all propane devices including the generator.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks for such quick responses. It was surprising to hear about the propane tanks working better on one side vs. another side. I did download the pdf on Onan Generators that Bingo was kind enough to post for me (thanks Bingo) it is now on our desktop and will get filed in our RV file which keeps on growing. (Bingo, not too sure if the wife will buy the reason for staying in the 5th wheel so long to watch the game, but it is worth a try).
My husband Jim loves college football and I will pass him all of this great information when I can get him away from the game.
Art-n-Marge our generator is propane.
I will keep all of you guys posted on what we find out. Hopefully something minor, it is a pain to haul the 5th wheel to an authorized Onan dealer. Do wonder if it would be better to have a portable generator?
Thanks again you guys are great and look forward to meeting you at a rally,
Marge
Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Check the oil, don't know if the Onan has a low oil level shut off, but it is a thought.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Bingo, Art-n-Marge, and Ozz: just have to say that we appreciate reading your well thought out responses to questions.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I agree with Doug..most generators have a low level oil shut off system. Don't forget to change the filter while your at it.
Good luck.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The reason I mentioned taking the load off of it, is if the thing is starting, but not staying on, it's possible that the device that lets it come up to speed needs a no load condition. It may not be adjusted properly. My big zero-turn mower has a 16 H.P. Kohler engine, if I engage the mower blade before it warms up, it stalls out. If I tried to start the engine with the blade engaged it would have a very hard time.
And, thanks Michael.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Okay, Jim tried the generator again today and this is the code that we have,
INVALID GENSET CONFIGURATION FAULT—CODE NO. 37
(Genset configuration is preprogrammed at the factory) Corrective Action: See an authorized Onan dealer.
Guess the 5th wheel has to be brought to an Onan dealer. Next RV will not have a generator built in. (frustrated with this generator)

Marge
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check this thread out. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/21844986.cfm
When it's fixed, it should be fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The thread that Ozz posted reminded me of another issue that could be rearing it's head that I think I read about here on this forum?? The source of the propane could have a lot to do with it, propane comes in three different grades (qualities??). My understanding is that HD-5 is the propane that should be used for engine applications such as a generator. The other commonly available propane is a commercial grade that contains more impurities and can cause engine problems. Ironically, when I went to the rig yesterday to run the generator, I experiences the exact same problem, genny would start, run for about 5 seconds then stop. Of course I did not have the owners manual with me to remember how to get the fault codes, but as I stated previously, I am sure it is propane related. I did switch the tanks per H. John's recommendation but it did not help. Will find out more this weekend!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Try adding a little oil, don't overfill it to extreme, just add some to bring the level up a little.
I had two generator problems, one big gen, I took it in, they changed the oil and it started right up. (I bet it was a little low.) The other problem was a smaller generator, it wouldn't start up, I shook it back and forth, it started up right away. The oil level sensor is touchy in them to protect them.