Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Nuvi 760 GPS

Due to a mishap with my last Nuvi, I reluctantly had to replace it. I chose the 760 as an upgrade to the previous 360. (Ironically the 760 was cheaper than the 360 originally).

Althouth the 700 series is wider than the 300 series, it is thinner and lighter weight and half the weight of the 600 series.

Upgrade features of the 700 series include the built in FM modulator that sends the audio to your auto radio.

Upgrade features of the 760 over the base 750 is the addition of an in box Traffic Alert antenna ($150 option when purchased separate), Bluetooth compatibility with phone or PC, and the ability to download and play guided photo tours of various states. I just downloaded the CO/NM guide and it has 16 CO and 3 NM photo tours that display on the GPS.

The traffic alert has warned me twice about congestion on I-70 in Denver, and the bluetooth connection to my cell phone is absolutely fantastic. It puts my entire phone book on the screen, has voice dial, the works, and it sounds more clear than my headpiece.

I'm not real thrilled with is the FM modulator. It has a tough time holding the station, and I get kicked off sometimes by other peoples I-Pods modulating in the car next to me.

The traffic alert antenna is in the charger cord, so I had to replace the previous cord I had concealed behind the dash with the new one to get it to work. In fact, nothing from the 360 Nuvi is compatible.

The new Garmin software platform includes a breadcrum trail (great for the backcountry), and direct input of waypoints.

I know there are a bazillion other GPS systems out there - and many many features better than these. I just thought I would introduce the 760 Nuvi as I am a huge Nuvi fan and use it for both business travel, as a personal audio book/MP3 player, and for recreational walks and drives.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I am a Nuvi fan as well and am taking notes on your experiences with the 760...it would be my choice for an upgrade should I need one. It has some features I am fond of although I am disappointed with your report of the FM transmitter. Since the GPS antenna is built in rather than a flip up like the 350, is there a setting to turn off the GPS portion for airplane travel?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have not located any setting to shut the navigation off Bruce. I put a question into Garmin regarding the antenna issue and asked for clarification that these actually are transmitting for navigation, or if they strictly receive.

I will have to shut off the FM transmitter (disable) as I'm sure that would be an issue in flight.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We have the Nuvi 760, too. Really like it, however, our phones do not link with the bluetooth on the GPS.
Oh well. We have found many roads that the GPS is not aware of-mostly in Texas. They are obviously new roads, but we thought we had the latest mapping system on it. 2008.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozzie,

Just spoke to Garmin. You can shut off the GPS through tools and turning on Simulator. When you return to the main screen, there is an X through the satellite reception bars so you can show the Stewardess.

Tech support confirmed there is no transmission from the unit associated with navigation, only recieve. However it is hard to convince the stewardess sometimes. She said the 760 does have blue tooth transmissions as well as FM modulation that would need to be disabled prior to flight if you plan to use the unit after takeoff. Typically everything gets shut off during takeoff and landing.

Sandy -

Nuvi thinks I'm in the cornfield too every once in a while, but with the 760 breadcrumb feature, it always gets me home for dinner! . On the other side though, the Garmin is extremely accurate on back country roads, at least here in Colorado. I've been 4-wheelin at 12,000 ft climbing straight up with not enough road width for an F350 with mirrors, yet Garmin knew exactly where I was, showed all the roads, and even gave me route number names for each road. I was impressed.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We came into the possession of a Garmin NUVI 260.(a offer I could not refuse) Thought it would come in handy for my Bus Charters. We do have the Garmin GPS 18 that feeds into the LT and have been using it for over 3 years in the truck. The 260 does not have all the functions that the 18 has but I have the 260 mounted in the Honda and have been testing it for the last few days. Very impressive unit and easy to operate. The "voice" sounds a bit robotic and reminds me of my 2nd grade teacher..Miss Courtney..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote