Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
States that allow window mounts

How do I find a list of witch states allow window mounts.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Window Mount???
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I was reading one web site that sold GPS systems. The site's home store was in Ohio but it specifically mentioned California as not allowing window mounts. No other state was mentioned. Don't know if that means California is the only one or not.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You didn't say what you are mounting. When I bought my Gamin Nuvi, They had, in the paperwork, a list of states that did not allow the mount. The assumption was then that all others allowed it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
I believe that Minnesota is another state that does not allow window mounts.
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I live in Calif. They do not allow window mounts. I do it anyway when I am on the road. However, my son is a police officer so would hopefully just get a warning.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Did some surfing and found Minnesota and California are the only States that don't allow WINSHIELD mounts for gps
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
JimF,

"Window mount" for GPS is using a suction cup mounting device on the windshield to mount the GPS.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
AS a retired LEO, this is another, not to bright of law, just like the no radar detectors law. Like most of the politicians, they have nothing better to do than pass these kind of laws. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I had mine on a "window mount" but at night it would blind me, so I found a spot lower on the dash, removed the suction cup and screwed it to the inside of my ashtray mount. It's out of the way, below eyelevel and you won't see the screw holes when you remove it.

The thing did block my vision range when windshield mounted, maybe that's what the law is about, or not.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I think Texas law says nothing that obstructs the driver's view is allowable. But then we have those registration and inspection stickers there also. My argument will be that mine is mounted on the windshield at the lower L/H corner and it occupies the same obstruction space as the aforementioned required windshield stickers.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I live in Mn - one of the states that doesn't allow windshield mounts.
I had a chat with a couple of our finest about it and told them I had it mounted up above the rear view mirror - totally out of line of sight for driving. I was told it was a great idea by them and not to worry.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I bought one of the pad type mounts for my Garmin. I like much better than the window mount. It sits on the dash below my line of sight and I can easily move it closer, farther away, or to one side or the other as I want. Or even set it on the console. And when we stop somewhere, I just set it on the floor out of sight.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #14
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I mounted mine on the rear view mirror, fits nicely to the right hand side and still leaves enough of the mirror so I can watch Monty or the the road when not towing.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

I had mine on a "window mount" but at night it would blind me,
Tom Toms adjust their intensity automatically according to the surrounding ambient light. Night mode is a nice feature.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I bought one of the pad type mounts for my Garmin. I like much better than the window mount. It sits on the dash below my line of sight and I can easily move it closer, farther away, or to one side or the other as I want. Or even set it on the console. And when we stop somewhere, I just set it on the floor out of sight.
I do the same thing BB_TX does.

Like Steve and Brenda's Tom Tom, my Garmin adjusts to ambient light. Also, my Garmin knows precisely the time of sunset and switches to night mode at sunset. Or I can go into settings and change the display mode. I think most have this feature or something similar.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Must be OK in Idaho. Got a speeding ticket there last week in a rental with the Nuvi stuck to the windshield and the charge cord hanging out of it . He never mentioned the Nuvi.

I told him I never saw the speed limit signs, because the Nuvi was blocking my view - (just kidding). Actually, the new Garmin software puts the speed limits for major roads right on the screen now.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
On the way to Georgia a couple of months ago we stopped in a truck stop along the way and I was looking around the electronic shop there and asked if they have any vent mount assemblies for my GPS system. The young lady got up and pulled one off the rack! It cost me about $18 or so but it clips right into the dashboard vents and has a slip in mount for the GPS. You stick an adaptor to the back of your unit and just clip it into the holder. I use one of the center vents on the dash and close that particular vent off. Works great and no problem with visual either day or night!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have a Garmin 2720 and we only use the bean bag mount. The major reason because it can be removed and set below the dash. It will save you from having to buy new windows, you know how a thief works. The 2720 also has the Auto adjust from day to night and shows the speed limit. Its not perfect, but I don't leave home without it. It does a awesome job if you have a hard address. As for window mounts, I really haven't had any luck with them so I just don't use them. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
re: quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JimF

I had mine on a "window mount" but at night it would blind me,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Toms adjust their intensity automatically according to the surrounding ambient light. Night mode is a nice feature.
So does mine, still blinds me. I do NOT like light at eye level at night when driving, I even turn off my dash lights, my thing..