Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
gettysburg to Goshin, Ind

May do our first Goshin Rally in Sept. Will be coming from Gettysburg. Maps and trips tells me to take the 76 turnpike. Being from California, have no idea of cost of turnpike. Looks like a long way. What about 70 into Indianapolis then US 69 or US 30 up to US 6? Any guidance would be appreciated. From the Fall Rally sign up list, it looks like most of the MOC family shows up.

Thanks Lou

grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
If you look at the Pa. Turnpike website you can figure out the tolls. We took the turnpike across Pa. and Ohio last fall to the rally. Route 70 was good into Indiana. The Fairgrounds has a helpful map on their website as well. We are north of Pittsburgh. The rally is very educational, many parts dealers have seminars on their products and you can schedule service on your rig at the factory. Don`t miss the factory tour.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Lou,
You will be in our back yard. We live 15 miles from Gettysburg in Littlestown. Let us know when you pull into the area.

The shortest route from Gettysburg is Gettysburg to Breezewood route 30, Breezewood on turnpike 76 to Ohio boarder then I 680 up to 80/90 in Ohio on to Indiana. Most DO NOT recommend Gettysburg to Breezewood on route 30. It has four small mountains with 20 mph up and down and switch backs West of Chambersburg, Pa. I did it once and was glad I had exhaust brake. Ann (wife) says not again.

So we take route 30 to Chambersburg and 81 south to Haggerstown, MD then 70 west.

At Hancock, MD you make a choice of 70 north to Breezewood and get on the interstate or 68 west (an extra 50 miles/one hour driving this way) and not pay tolls. I 68 out to I 79 north and up the the interstate to I680. I 68 to Morgantown, WV does have some good hills and 45 Mph in Frostburg, MD but a good Interstate road.

The tolls on PA turnpike are determined by your weight and number of axles. Here is a link to the PA toll calculations. Using Breezewood 161 to Ohio gateway 2 with 4 axles and class 4 (19001 to 30000) lbs it costs $22.25. This is our cost. If you are class 3 (15001 to 19000) it costs 19.00.

With the 50 mile difference at 10 MPG and $3.00 per gallon it is $30.00. So you get to make your decision.

Note: I 80 in Ohio have RV night parking with electricty for $15 (I think) at every other Service center. We have used them. I do have to jack knife the TV so we are not blocking the service road. Their 40' parking spaces work.

I hope this helps.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Thanks Greener for the the info on the rally. This just makes my case stronger with D.W. to attend the rally. John, your assessment of the turnpike as pretty much convinced me, you get what you pay for, and that is the best way to go.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote