Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Cable flush valve

Swell Sunday afternoon dropping the underbelly because the flush valve would not open. Cable separation. Even tougher getting the underbelly reinstalled. Beginning to not like the 2015 quality. More problems than the three others combined. Will be looking at other options at the Tampa rv show in January.

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Swell Sunday afternoon dropping the underbelly because the flush valve would not open. Cable separation. Even tougher getting the underbelly reinstalled. Beginning to not like the 2015 quality. More problems than the three others combined. Will be looking at other options at the Tampa rv show in January.
I've been feeling a disturbing quality trend too. I know before I buy another, I will be spending many, many hours asking the same question to owners of SOBs everywhere I travel: "If you had it to do again, would you buy this same brand?"
If someone asked me that today, I would have to scratch my head for a while before I fashioned an answer.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Gotta disagree , NO problems with my 2015 Except a leaking toilet in 5 months ,very happy with my 70K I spent,that's, your only complaint is a broken cable????? REALLY??? and my 2012 was NEVER in the shop
Old 12-29-2014, 02:48 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Mike, when the emotion subsides, tell us what brand RV you are considering that does not use the same valve system as keystone. Just put a new valve on my grey tank and yes I checked the set screw for security. Stuff happens.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I cannot speak to the problems associated with the quality of the newest Montana models, however the disturbing trend I see with posts on the MOC regarding them, is that "nothing" has changed, new owners are still experiencing the same problems as before, along with new ones.
It would seem to me that after several years those recurring issues have not been dealt with in any meaningful way by Keystone. Quality control has not improved and sticks up it's ugly head with each new years builds. Pretty Yes, Quality build absolutely not.

There is absolutely no question other manufacturers products are having the same issues, have they improved or is it just more of the same from them as well.

Jimmy my 2012 was only in a shop once, that was to perform a so called field repair due to frame flex. Have I tightened, fastened, adjusted and rebuilt many things myself, you bet your bottom dollar I have, poor workmanship and corner cutting were the reason. I did the work myself mainly because I know what gets done when I do it and I won't have to do it again.

Anyone who tells me as an owner of a Montana or SOB that they have had absolutely no problems should be selling lift tickets at a ski resort in Florida.

I would not remotely consider buying another Montana, and likely no other brand I could afford for that matter, I have this one whipped into shape with some mods and now that I seem to have the bedroom slide leak resolved I just would not want to go through all this again. Thanks but no thanks.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
I got to tell you folks that all these problems seem trivial to me. I had to replace both furnaces on my house. The floors were so bad we retiled the whole house. The main water line from the meter to the house broke and we didn't realize for two months (We thought we were over watering the yard). I have a room where three electrical outlets don't work but the fourth one does and try my darndest I can't figure out the problem. I am really looking forward to getting into my fiver with or without the problems.
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Peter we have all experienced problems with our S&B's and over time things need to be replaced. In the 37 years I have lived in my home I have replaced, a couple of water heaters, lots of plumbing to upgrade to newer/better service, replaced the furnace and fixed numerous electrical problems.

I would love to see someone living in a 37 year old Montana and see if it is even together at that stage in it's life.

What we don't expect to have to do is all the irritating "little" mods and repairs from the get-go on our RV's, most of which are due to poor quality control and design. I will continue to repair anything that goes wrong with my 3402RL because I can make it last the rest of my usable lifetime.

As a side note, I had 3 different heating companies come and try to determine a problem with my S&B furnace, each and every one of them wanted to replace the control module, they did not demonstrate with any certainty that was the problem and would not replace and refund if it turned out to not be the problem. So as I have done all my life I did lots of research, got my testers out and conducted my own assessment. Well lo and behold it was indeed not the control board as I had figured all along, it was my gas "smart" valve. I replaced it and have not had a single problem going into my second year after replacing it.

When in business I dealt with mechanics that could not fix "anything" they were just parts changers, if they were lucky they got the right part the first time, if not more parts were obviously needed. A complete and useless waste of time and money. When I could no longer find a mechanic that could actually diagnose and repair or identify the correct part required, I gave up and sold my business.

I hope your expectations will be met with the move into your Montana, I however do know it won't last 37 years no matter how much money or repairs you put into it and it will have no resale value in the end.
But then again think of the fun and experiences you will gain.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have been on this forum for 12 Years come January I am seeing quality issues being reported in the last few years that were never a problem in the earlier Rigs. No dough in my mind quality has gone down hill like the old saying they don't make them like they use to!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I don't know gang ,I had a 2004 Big Sky and it was a nice rig and pretty trouble free but this new one is better insulated, better wood,Higher quality Electronics ,better Furniture,Higher quality countertops ,better suspension ,12in main frame better pin box,better Graphics ETC.... AND has been reliable as well So in MY experience the new ones are built better with higher quality Materials than the older Montana's YOUR results may vary but I've had 3 Montana's ,there is nothing better in build quality of my 2004 Montana that is better than the 2015
Old 12-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My 2013 Big Sky 3402 is no better than my 2006 3400.The failure rate is higher than the 06 3400.it has only been in a shop two times service center once and dealer once (for 9 weeks) A mobile repair person has worked on it twice, failed fridge, problem with hot water tank. I however have spent many hours and spent a lot of $$ repairing, replacing various failed items. I don't know about the build quality on other brands but I suspect it is no better but I do not own another brand I own a Montana and all of my problems were build quality related. Just my opinion but I feel the quality has deteriorated in the last 3 or 4 years. Fortunately our Rv'ing days will not be much longer and we will not have to worry about which brand to buy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Hmmm, this is our second Monty a 2006 3200 rl and now a 14 37&1/4 I love the upgrades the new one has counter tops flat screen tv's floor plan fits us level up and so on with all the extra stuff I guess I could expect more problems but I havent had them. Had a mor ryde spring block failure they sent me a new pair no questions asked I did the replacement my self. Fixed the auto light switch in the door very easy to fix. But everything else has worked fine the 2006 different story cabinet doors fell off spring shackle broke off furnace fan went junk water leak in refer compartment water leak in curb side slide destroying the floor. I still feel price point and quality of my new one was a good fit for us. We all come here to vent I very rarely see posts about what's not wrong. I have had 5 5'ers now and they have all had something go wrong. I like my Monty because if and when something goes wrong someone here can help me with it and that's a huge plus in my book. Jmho happy camping too all
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Interesting responses to my original post, although a couple of folks missed my point. Have had RVs since 1971, and fully appreciate what happens to these tin boxes when they get bounced down the road and are pushed quickly off the production line. My point was that we started with Montana in 2002 and 2002 thru June of 2014 used a 02, and 05, and a 10 to full time for six years, and winter each of those years in Florida for five months. In July, bought the 2015, did a careful PDI, two two week shakedowns and other than couple of PDI issues all was good. Got down to Florida for our five months and trouble started. Myriad of issues to include a leaky slide, to plumbing leaks, toilet leaks, hydraulic leak, the black valve issue (installed incorrectly) and even a broken dining chair seat when my 118 pound wife sat down for dinner. I fixed it all, cause I know how. Again, my point was that I have had more problems with the 2015 over 5 months than I had over 12 years with three previous units combined.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
Old 12-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mike.. I feel your pain and I agree. I foolishly thought that this 13 3402 Big Sky would be a much better product than the 06 3400.I mean they had 7 years to improve build quality. I figured that if I purchased the top of the line , best you can buy Montana Big Sky it would be a better product. I was very disappointed but I still do not think I would have done any better with another brand and we looked at most of them before we purchased this second Montana. As much as I appear to be negative I still feel we got the best product in the price range and at the best price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

The last two times after traveling all day, while setting up when I took the sewer cap off I got about a cup of really nice black tank discharge. I am now suspicious that my black tank valve is not closing all the way.

I guess my only choice here is to take it back to dealer or drop underbelly and fix it myself. Neither of which I really want to do.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #15
rich2118
Established Member

M.O.C. #14290
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Ordered my 2014 Montana 3610RL at the Tampa Fl RV show. Picked it up in March at Lazydays near Tampa. Had a couple of minor things repaired. Left in May on an 8 month trip, mainly staying in Tn. Other than the dinette seats caving in the center and a window mechanism coming loose from the bottom of the window, the rig has been trouble free. Camped in some cold weather but the fireplace and ceramic heater kept us cozy. No magor issues, YET.
rich2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Joe, how about installing a twist-on gate valve on the end of the discharge pipe and then cap it. That way even with a little or slow leaking dump valve you won't get the surprise when you take the cap off. Not a permanent fix, but still a good idea.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Joe, how about installing a twist-on gate valve on the end of the discharge pipe and then cap it. That way even with a little or slow leaking dump valve you won't get the surprise when you take the cap off. Not a permanent fix, but still a good idea.
That is exactly what I did when we set up yesterday. I put my Flush-King on. I have used it off and on for the past year just because I think it flushed the black tank just as good or better than any other method, plus I can flush each of my gray tanks using it. I will probably leave it on until I decide what to do.

I know there have been some posts about electric gate valves. I wonder if I could get a mobile RV service to install one while I am set up down here this winter.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:19 AM   #18
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Remember everyone. These units are subject to rolling earthquakes every time we go down the beautiful hwys we have now days. It's no secret that I have a SOB and have had the Montana. Trust me when I say its not only Keystone that has build problems. They all go to the same job bank to get there employees. And its all driven by the amount they don't have to pay them. I think everyone here understands what I am saying.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 AM   #19
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
I just had a new black tank valve put in. This is the 2nd. Also only after 8 months, had to replace the cable for the black tank.
My extended warranty took care of the 2nd one. Was still in the 1st year for the other.
Goodsam warranty paid off.
Not sold on the cable to open and close the valves.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:05 AM   #20
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
They are OK if installed correctly. Keystone installs cables that are too long and with resultant loops. Need to be as straight and direct as possible.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7