Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2004, 05:18 AM   #1
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Freebies from complaints/compliments

I saw this thread on another site and I read it for an hour......it was just so interesting so I thought I would start it here.

Have you ever gotten any freebies from complaining or giving a compliment to a company?

I only call when I have legitimate complaints like my olives were soft and rotten when I just bought them so I called the company and they replaced them. I recently contacted Shout Color Catcher b/c I love their product and I told them to please keep making it and not discontinue it. They sent me a nice letter saying they would send me some coupons.

Anyone else have any other stories they want to share?

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:24 AM   #2
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I have 2 stories to share, one is regarding Crayola and the other is Perkins Restuarants.

When my husband and I first started dating (10 years ago), I went to breakfast with him and his kids at Perkins, it was the first time I met the kids. Anyway, we all order and our food comes, everything is good and he is eating his eggs benedict. Well, all of a sudden you hear this loud crunch and a horrible look on my husband's face. He instantly spit out his food with a bunch of blood (sorry to be gross). Here he had bit into a piece of broken mug that got into his eggs and he didn't know it. It cut his mouth up and he had to go to the dentist and doctor. Perkins paid for the meal and all the doctor / dentist bills. They were besides themselves, they didn't know what to do about it. We were happy and we still go back.

Crayola is an awesome company... Last year we were camping and our 4yo had his face painted at the local fair. He loved it so we went out and bought some washable paints to paint his face camoflauged (army soldier) again. LOL So I got paints from crayola and painted him up really cute. After a couple hours he wanted the paint off because it was starting to itch. I took it off and he had hives all over his face and neck and couldn't stop itching. When we got home I called Crayola and inquired what was in the paint, I needed to see if I could narrow it down to what made him get the hives. Just incase it was something that was found in other things and I could keep my eye on it. The woman from Crayola and I couldn't figure it out. I said thanks and was ready to hang up, the CS person was awesome. About a week later we got a HUGE box of stuff in the mail from Crayola for our trouble. I was so shocked, I didn't complain about anything and I didn't want anything, just was wondering if this happened to any one else and what could have made him break out like that. COOL!

Old 09-15-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we were camping at walt disney fort wilderness and while doing laundry, the dryer malfunctioned and burned all of our clothes.I went to the main office and asked for a maintenance man to disconnect the dryer so it wouldn't happen to someone else.by the time I got back to the laundry mat, my wife had two managers and a maintenance man there inventorying all of our stuff.they provided us with a van and a driver , took us to walmart and we bought all new clothes...they credited our account with the difference.it turned a bad day on vacation to a very pleasant experience!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:52 AM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Yes, I have had freebies. I have several bad experiences with both Olive Garden and Red Lobster, which are owned by the same group. We waited many years for an Olive Garden in our area and we waited several months after they opened before going there. The first 2 times we went (we gave them a second chance) the service was terrible. I sent them an e-mail and told them I did not want my money back or anything, I just wanted them aware of what they needed to do get our business. I got a $50 gift card in the mail. Naturally we went back and the service was much better. The food is always good. Red Lobster is not so generous but has sent me $5 gift certificates, 2 or 3 at a time. I hate complaining to them but both times we were overlooked, once when and our little beeper/vibrator did not go off causing us to wait an extra half hour to an hour on a busy night, and another time our requests for drinks or other items had to be repeated several times after being ignored.

On the other side of the coin when living in the midwest I once worked at a frozen pizza company in the customer service end. People sent in parts of rats they said were in the pizza and other interesting complaints. You don't ask questions, you just turn a negative into a positive by giving them something to make up for the experience. Believe it or not, there are people out there who make a lot of money off of false complaints, but it costs a company too much money to sort them out, so they give something to everyone. It is good customer relations.

I complained to KOA but they do not understand good customer relations and I no longer go there. They do not even attempt to correct the problem and usually pass the buck, which means it gets ignored.

I believe a company should also respond to positive comments, but they do not always do that.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:07 AM   #5
Britney 10
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1704
I sent a email to the company that makes COLE GARLIC TOAST to tell them what a good product they had and would they please put in resealable bags. They said that it could not be done at that time and sent me coupons for 6 free packs of toast.
Britney 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:38 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
WOW! That's awesome they did that for you. I couldn't imagine to be at a laundromat on vacation and have my clothes burned up like that!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyRay

we were camping at walt disney fort wilderness and while doing laundry, the dryer malfunctioned and burned all of our clothes.I went to the main office and asked for a maintenance man to disconnect the dryer so it wouldn't happen to someone else.by the time I got back to the laundry mat, my wife had two managers and a maintenance man there inventorying all of our stuff.they provided us with a van and a driver , took us to walmart and we bought all new clothes...they credited our account with the difference.it turned a bad day on vacation to a very pleasant experience!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:57 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Returning home to AZ after a trip to NY last year I thought to check my oil level. When I popped the hood I'm looking at a 2 ft. long plastic funnel sticking out of the valve cover filler hole. The hood had been closed on top of it and no cap. We stopped at Wal-Mart in KC Mo. on the way home to have the oil changed. I will never use Wal-Mart again when it comes to working on my Truck.
After calling Wal-Marts home office, they had the Store Manager call me with an apology and He sent me a $50 store card.
You might call that a freebee, but I had to change the oil again, so maybe not.
If you want to see some real horror stories, check out Wal-Mart on RV.net. Wheels falling off on way home, Oil plugs stripped, over fill oil, etc.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
yup it was interesting...but they treated us right!

probably because i didn't care or complain!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Yes it pays sometimes to complain about service. I have received several good offers for my trouble. Sometime when I have a lot of time I might tell the story how I won tickets to the Adcademy Awards in Hollowood and my experience in attending that function. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:19 AM   #10
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Yes do tell that story!
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:54 AM   #11
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Ok and how can you leave us hanging like this? LOL

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Northstar

Yes it pays sometimes to complain about service. I have received several good offers for my trouble. Sometime when I have a lot of time I might tell the story how I won tickets to the Adcademy Awards in Hollowood and my experience in attending that function. Happyrving.....
Old 09-16-2004, 10:23 AM   #12
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I was tending bar several decades ago and opened a "long-neck" beer for a customer and was pouring it in his glass and saw a "reflection" in the bottle. The reflection was a folded up Planter's peanut bag. To make a long story short, the local distributor for the brand donated 10 cases of beer and $500.00 to a local charity---but we had to give him the "stuffed bottle".
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:58 AM   #13
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
WOW! How didd the people at the plant NOT catch that? Unless they were in on it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tweir

I was tending bar several decades ago and opened a "long-neck" beer for a customer and was pouring it in his glass and saw a "reflection" in the bottle. The reflection was a folded up Planter's peanut bag. To make a long story short, the local distributor for the brand donated 10 cases of beer and $500.00 to a local charity---but we had to give him the "stuffed bottle".