Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Cowboy Action Shooter from Montana

Hello All,

I recall someone on the forum who I am pretty sure is from Monana who is involved with cowboy action shooting. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Hopefully this cowboy might see this posting. I just had some questions about the sport and hoping to pick his brain...
Also would be interested to know if anyone else participates in this and might be able to answer some basic questions.

Thanks for the help!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Greg,
I'm not from Montana but I am an active CAS shooter. I shoot mostly in the Saratoga Springs area in upstate NY. If you have questions I should be able to help.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I also shoot in this sport. So far only in Maine, but hope to change that.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks Lee and Chip. One of my first questions is regarding caliber choice. I know the .45LC would be more authentic, but I hear that a lot of guys doing this use the .357 so they can use the cheaper .38 ammunition. Is that the case? Also, are you guys even able to find ammo currently to do the matches since everything is on backorder?

I guess a lot of people go with the Ruger Vaqueros, are they a good choice?

What are you using for your rifles? I like the Henry's, but they are pretty spendy.

Do you have suggestions for where to get the western clothing?

Thanks a lot!

Greg
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Greg,

For clothing try this web site www.wildwestmercantile.com

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

Greg,

For clothing try this web site www.wildwestmercantile.com

Frank
Thanks Frank. I totally forgot your member name maximo - we spoke way back when you told me about your Montana dealer. I'm a little slow LOL, but I finally figured out you were THAT Frank!

Thanks again for your help in the emails and this link - they even have big and tall stuff!

Greg
Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Greg, The 38/357 is very popular for many reasons. It's inexpensive, low recoil, readily available (normally), easy to reload and there are lots of guns chambered for it. I reload all my ammo. Before I did this I bought reloads from a local vendor. If you can find one locally talk to him, if not there are several that advertise in the Cowboy Chronicle. I use SASS Rugers in 38/357 and like them a lot. My rifle is a Cody Matic Winchester 73 clone in 38/357. I have two 12 ga. shotguns, a Winchester pump and an Ithica SKB double. I tend to use the double more. There are a number of manufacturers that make good guns. You should attend some shoots and talk to the participants. You will find that most will bend over backward to be helpful and will probably let you handle their guns and may even let you take a shot or two if you're lucky. I would STRONGLY suggest you resist the temptation to buy anything untill you have really done your homework and know exactly what you like and want. Way too many new shooters buy equipment that they soon find out is not appropriate and they end up buying a second time. Again, the best thing you can do is go to some shoots.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Greg, I probably should have included this in my previous post. Here are a couple sites that you may find helpful:

http://www.sassnet.com/
http://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php
http://www.cascity.com/
http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html This one is great for a new Cas shooter
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Lee F
I would STRONGLY suggest you resist the temptation to buy anything untill you have really done your homework and know exactly what you like and want. Way too many new shooters buy equipment that they soon find out is not appropriate and they end up buying a second time. Again, the best thing you can do is go to some shoots.
This is the best advice you could get. You would be surprised at how many times I sell stuff that someone has bought the wrong equipment not once but several times.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

Greg, I probably should have included this in my previous post. Here are a couple sites that you may find helpful:

http://www.sassnet.com/
http://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php
http://www.cascity.com/
http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html This one is great for a new Cas shooter
Lee, thanks very much for the advice and the links! I really appreciate the leads.

Thanks to Lynwood too!

I am set up to attend a SASS match on the 16th. The guys I have emailed with have been very nice and helpful - Loden B. Quick, and Kansan. I really appreciate the advice from you Lee and Lynwood to make sure I see what equipment is out there before jumping in. I will be sure to try to look at the various weapons at the match and try to get as many questions answered as I can.

Greg
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #11
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
I think .38 is relatively easy to find now, but don't even think about 9mm or .22
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
In reference to ammo, I received an email which states: "AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide
shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are
producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rounds produced
weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in
line."
How true this is I really don't know but the stores I have gone into looking for ammo are all out of it.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Sky there is a easy answer to that. Load your own. Did you ever hear of a bench rest shooter who bought their ammo? There aren't any because you can load better ammo than you can buy. It's much cheaper and you can tailor it to fit the need.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Just bought ammo at Walmart today. They are not ordering any new, BUT, they still have some on backorder that they are getting in a little bit each day. They had 40 S&W and 30-06 150 grains. Bought two boxes of each. Maybe feds will confiscate tonight but at least I have them now. They are getting guns in also........Casa Grande, AZ
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Can't find anything out my way. [rant on] This is so frustrating. They're still talking about taxing each round and/or the reloading supplies. Now how the heck does that help to reduce a tragic shooting?? It just punishes the law abiding citizen who wants to sport shoot or hunt. [rant off]
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I don't do CAS, but do shoot and reload. Cabelas just gave me a third back order date for Small Pistol Primers and 9 mm bullets. .223 rounds are going for $1/shell. Reloading manufacturers are back ordered also. I got a shiny new Dillon for Christmas and can't get bullets, primers or brass. Fortunately, I have some .45 shells I can reload. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
This might be a little off topic for Cowboy Shoots and I apologize, but does anybody know if this ammo shortage is just a temporary thing or is it a sign of things to come. I figured with the "government is gonna come for your guns" scare people would buy up what they could. But I figured that once the dust settled and people figured out they won't be knocking on your door to take your guns things would ease up.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

This might be a little off topic for Cowboy Shoots and I apologize, but does anybody know if this ammo shortage is just a temporary thing or is it a sign of things to come. I figured with the "government is gonna come for your guns" scare people would buy up what they could. But I figured that once the dust settled and people figured out they won't be knocking on your door to take your guns things would ease up.
Well, the government just made another huge order of millions and millions of rounds. I see backorder dates on some of the websites which keep getting bumped out everytime I look it seems like. One store has backorder dates listed as November and December of 2013!

I also think some people are still worried they may come knocking DOWN the door to get the guns, not just knocking AT the door......It was done with Katrina - took guns from law abiding, home defending gun owners.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I haven't been able to handle any CAS revolvers yet, but the New Vaquero looks really small in the grip area. I have large to extra large hands and they look like they will be very awkward. I see the Bisley Vaquero looks like it might be better for larger hands - anyone with opinions on that, or any other larger frame cowboy revolvers?

Thanks!

Greg
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #20
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
My DW and I both have 9MM CZ-75s and Henry rifles (a Golden Boy (Cal .22) for her and a Big Boy (Cal .44) for me. We also have a Ruger Blackhawk with cylinders for .38/.357 and 9mm and a Beretta .22 target pistol. We are members of a shooting club in Kingman, Arizona, and burn a lot of ammunition putting holes in paper targets.

I used to order in bulk from Cabelas (those extra plastic ammo boxes are great) but now I don't see any bulk ammo pages on their web-site.

Bummer.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote