Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mud Flaps, oh boy...

I am looking for some ideas for some pretty good sized Mud Flaps. The problem is the specs. I am trying to honor a requirement from a company and I am actually looking for some mud flaps that are for my SRW Ford Truck that extends down so that there is only 4" clearance from the ground to the bottom of the flap. I have air bags and the stance currently has 22" of gap so these babies will have to drop down about 18" (WOW).

Most aftermarket mudflaps don't even come close and leaves an 8" to 10" gap which is considered by some companies to be too high allowing debris to damage a towable.

If anyone has a picture of their solution and can describe the gap, I'd appreciate it. I anticipate the flaps will be homemade as will the brackets and I'm curious if others have done this and would share their solutions especially with a picture or two. I'm also trying to avoid spending over $200 for the removable "Rock Tamer" style because they are expensive, cover the connectors and I would prefer a permanently fixed solution.

Please no comments on their lack of need or I picked the wrong brand of truck, etc. since this is not my requirement, but theirs.

Thanks in advance.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Art, Why not make your own out of a flap from a big rig?
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
That's what I'm guessing but with the leaf springs in the way, I'm not sure how, where or what to use for a bracket since I'm guessing it will have to be more substantial.

I did find that if I purchased one big rig flap, I can cut it in half, but don't know how to mount the hardware to support it and I'm hoping for some ideas or pictures. I'm guess a bracket of some size gets drilled into the truck frame and goes up and over the spring pack and the flap gets cut so that it clears the outside of the spring pack. I just can't picture this very well.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Art, I put these on my dually but the also have single. They have weights to hold them down and chrome brackets for anti sail.
They have a lot of different ones.
http://www.goindustries.com/home/go1/smartlist_549
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art, here's a link to a post about the ones I made for our truck. I took a semi truck flap, cut it in half, and used 1" square metal tubing for the mount.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...628&highlight=
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Mine don't meet your specs and my truck is a different make, but mine are screwed right to the wheel well as are at least some of the ones at goindustries.com. If the big rig flap was weighted at the bottom I would think you could just screw it to the wheel well and be done with it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
DQDick - That's what I was originally hoping for, but it seems by the time these monsters are attached just the fender wheel well screws are gonna be enough.

I think I'm gonna have to do something like what Tom S. suggests but I can't use the link he provided until I register... then I'm gonna take a look.

I'm also gonna look at awaywego's link much closer, because when I first looked I didn't find any long enough, but I'm guessing with their variety there's got to be some pretty long ones.

So far, so good folks. Thanks for the homework.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
I don't know if it will fit your needs, but a friend that I camp with made a set for his truck that slide in to the back side of the 2" receiver. He welded a length of 1.5" angle to a square tube to fit in the receiver and cut a large road tractor flap in half. You may have to get creative with your exhaust. I'm looking to make a set for my truck, but I'm going to have to get a chrome turn-down for the pipe.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I went with Duraflaps. http://www.duraflap.com/art.html well made mud flaps.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art, here's the text and picks from the link:

For those of you who may be interested........

I pull a 5th wheel trailer and learned long ago on my old regular trailer that rear mudflaps are a necessity. They not only help keep the trailer clean, they keep it from getting stoned to death.

Because I was looking for something long and narrow to match the tires on my truck (3500 single wheel), I decided to make my own. Plus I'm cheap - but that's another story.

I found some 24" x 24" mudflaps on ebay. Plain black, no frills, and very affordable - $9 plus a few bucks shipping. As it turned out, I actually only needed one, because I split one in half and used half on each side. Cutting rubber is easy - if you use a jigsaw with a knife blade. I used a piece of steel clamped to the rubber as a saw guide and cut the flap exactly in half.

For mounting, I got some 1 inch square steel tubing. I cut one piece 6" long and another 15.5". Butting the long piece against the short one, I welded them together, making a large "L". There are 4 holes in the frame behind the rear tires - I used the 2 holes located towards the top of the frame. Although the holes are about 1/2" in diameter, I used 3/8" stainless bolts, washers and nuts. This gave me a little play to adjust for level, etc.

The short end of the "L" was mounted against the frame. The long side comes out behind the rear tire about a 1/4" in front of wheel house/fender flare. I mounted the flaps on the side of the "L" between the tire and the bracket. Thus, nothing touches the body, nor the tire. I would guess with buying the steel, flaps and mounting hardware, I probably have $35 invested, but the flaps are exactly what I was looking for!

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
DuraFlap

M.O.C. #12677
Hi Art,

Take a look at duraflap mud flaps. They are pretty long to begin with. Stock extra longs would be 7" off the ground to leave clearance for parking guards, but you can custom order them whatever length you need.
DuraFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Thanks Dennis. I took your advice, looked them up on the net and that's what I ended up buying. They are lightweight (about 5 lbs per side) and bolt/clip right in and customer fit to my specific wheel wells.

I chatted with a very nice person who walked me through many different options. She also sent me photos and text on how they mount and I compared it to my own truck. I was able to print the docs out, measure everything against my truck and then order a set. She was very patient and got me set up. It turns out because I had to order a "custom length" it was pricey ($130 for the pair), but looks like it will be very little measuring and drilling since the template for them fits my fenders.

Thanks everyone (nice pictures Tom S.) for so many ideas and solutions. I was having a hard time finding what I needed until the MOC help arrived. Now I will have strong and lightweight, easy to install mud flaps that will be very long to suit my needs.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Art; Go to cabelas.com and order them . they hang about 5" off the ground and have chrome weights to hold them there. I also used my own brackets to secure them with.
sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote