Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
dedcapri

M.O.C. #9999
Slide Problem

My living room slide is not "sliding" smoothly. It's like it is off the track, with one side moving out more quickly than the other. The slide caught on the edge of the TV and got "out of kilter" last time I closed up. Any ideas on how to get it back into alignment? Is this a quick fix in a repair shop? Just trying to get some info before I put it in the shop for repairs.

New comment in reply to questions: I can see "teeth" in a straight line along each slide rail. And yes, it is a hydraulic system, but the motor and hydraulics do not seem to be the problem, it seems just to be out of alignment or "off the proper alignment". I will definitely ask questions and closely monitor the repair, which is not under any extended warranty. Thanks for the input. My unit is a 2010 Hickory.

dedcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Do you have a hydraulic slide or chain drive or what? Over the years and models things have changed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It's hard to say exactly how expensive a slideout repair is going to be unless it's known what has to be replaced or fixed. In your case, damage may have occurred and this could be significant and maybe someone can remind us of their experience. Keeping in mind that if a shop is going to have to warranty the job then they're gonna want to replace as much as they can in case they are responsible later. I'd get a few estimates, then base your decision on how thorough they are when trying to debug your problem - the cheapest quote may not be the best any more than the most expensive not necessarily the best. Try to be present when they examine the damage or when they can show you the damage. If not, then I'd go elsewhere. It's your concern and money and any shop that's gonna BS you with "our insurance doesn't allow visitors", then consider if this shop is on the cheap for insurance versus customer service then maybe you don't want them working on your rig.

If it is a matter of adjustment, then that will be a lot less, considering that any repairs would have to include an adjustment anyway. But you are hinting a little damage so this may add some cost. I'm afraid you should minimize the slideout usage until this is fixed. Operating a questionable slide out could cause much more damage later.

I hope you have the courage to post what's done. Mishaps happen and being able to communicate our stories has taught many of us valuable lessons. Best of luck to you!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have done a similar thing. I got the kitchen slide hung up on a cupboard door. With mine, the frame of the slide was bent slightly. I was able to align the slide with the slotted mounting bolt holes. Took some fussing, prying and cussing but not real technical.
Until you get it fixed be careful of potential water damage as the exterior seal will not seal properly.
I too would like to hear how the repairs go if you don't mind.
Good luck.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Assuming you have a hydraulically operated slide ... perhaps you sheared the 1/4" bolt under the slide on the balancer shaft. Go underneath the slide and look at a square shaft with gears on both ends. One side will have a "shear bolt" that possibly served its function and is broken. With the slide most of the way out be sure all the bolt is out of the hole ... gently use pliers or a cresent wrench to make both sides even again and have the holes in both shafts line up ... reinstall a new bolt and nut.

Here's a previous post http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ms=shear,bolts go to the second page 5 posts down to see a photo of what I'm talking about
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks for the education on the function of these parts. I would not have thought to look for a shear pin/bolt. Maybe another part to keep in my tool kit.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Assuming you have a hydraulically operated slide ... perhaps you sheared the 1/4" bolt under the slide on the balancer shaft. Go underneath the slide and look at a square shaft with gears on both ends. One side will have a "shear bolt" that possibly served its function and is broken. With the slide most of the way out be sure all the bolt is out of the hole ... gently use pliers or a cresent wrench to make both sides even again and have the holes in both shafts line up ... reinstall a new bolt and nut.

Here's a previous post http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ms=shear,bolts go to the second page 5 posts down to see a photo of what I'm talking about
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote