Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Electrical Problem (FIXED)!!!

I woke up at 0430 to a dark rig and beeping from my APC units for the computers and entertainment center. The power was out. After much stumbling around I checked all the breakers in the rig and all were good. I went out to the pedestal and the breaker there was tripped. I tried to reset a few times but it kept popping. So I went back into the rig and flipped all my inside breakers off. Went back out and this time the pedestal breaker reset. Back inside I started turning on breakers. As soon as I hit the living room breaker the pedestal breaker went. Hmmmmm, why didn't the inside main breaker go? Back out to the pedestal, Ah ha! it is a GFI breaker. I have a ground fault somewhere in the living room wiring. There is no GFI outlet for the living room. I went back inside and unplugged EVERYTHING from the living room outlets, the pedestal still kicked out. Now I need coffee! I have pulled and disassembled the two easiest outlets to get to, the ones under the rear window. Wow, what cheesy outlets. They appear to be good but without putting a meter on them I no way of checking for a fault. There are 4 more dead outlets on this circuit, two behind the entertainment center, one behind the fireplace, and one at the desk. My question is: when I throw the meter on the outlets I know how to check for a short or open circuit but have forgotten how to check for a ground fault. All helpful answers would be appreciated as I have two extensions running the computers and entertainment center. They are green and sort of Christmasie but that won't fly with Betsy. And we don't have the fireplace at the moment... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Dave; To check for a ground kill the power and with your meter on ohms touch one probe to a known ground (green wire) and the other to the black wire. If the meter goes up there is a short. Make sure all switches are off and plugs are unpluged or you will get a reading through that item to the neutral (white wire) which goes to ground.
Look at the wire under the slide that folds when you put the slide in and out.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
awaywego, If it was a short it would have kicked the breaker for the living room, it didn't. But I found the problem I think. I checked all the outlets and found a fault problem on the one on the read under the big back window on the curb side. When I pulled it out it was soaking wet. It sits directly under the horizontal ladder support toward the curb. We have had a major amount of rain this last week and I think the seal on that support has gone bad and let water wick into the back wall of the rig. I took the outlet apart and actually dumped a tablespoon of water out of it. I shook it out and dried it with a hair dryer. I then went and turned the breaker back on and it worked. So it was in fact a ground fault problem and the GFI on the pedestal kicked because of the water in the outlet. I have a heater blowing on the outlet and the hole in the back wall drying it out. While that is drying I will go out and wrap the ladder support with butyl tape until it warms enough to use caulk on it. At that time I will disassemble the ladder support and heavily caulk the inside of it where it meets the mounting plate. At least now I know what to look for next time... Dave
Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nice find..Have it logged.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I am uploading pictures of the outlet apart and back together and the dark wet paneling. Will post link later... Dave
Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good fix. You just have to check everything on a deal like that.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Good Find Exnavydiver! I have this one tagged for future reference.
Thanks for sharing!

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi Dave was glad when you called at let us know you found the problem. Delaine and me were concerned at 6:20 am this morning and we were departing for South Ala. It was 18 degrees this AM when Montana and me we for a walk. Well we are in Greenville Ala at MM 130 at Days Inn and its in the upper 50's, Oh well you did warm up some Delaine just told me its 41 degrees at the View were your at. Good Luck... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Here is the link to the slide show Link ... Dave
Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Great work...water will cause a GFI to trip as that's its purpose to protect. That you in the Santa suit?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
nah, it must be John Kohl... Dave
Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had a similar experience with the outside outlet on the Kitchen Slide. The outside seal came loose and water got in to the outlet and tripped the GFI since it was on a GFI circuit.
Glad you found and fixed it Dave.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, kinda looks like you John...Dave I think we found the "real" Santa!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote