Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Cold weather use

Just because I thought about it five minutes ago......is it a good idea or not.... i was thinking we could spend the nite in the trailer...but its really cold...I have two electrical heaters and the trailer furnace...if i was to use them to heat the trailer... would it be too hard on the hydraulics to put the slides our for the nite????? we have spent the last three NY eve nites in it in the RGV...but cant go this time...just trying to play at travelling.. thx

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think it would be fine, the oil will be stiff, but it has a good pump. Try it for one slide, see how it does.
Happy New Year, we will think of you down here in the Valley.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
To me no different than our packing Tana in near 0 degree weather for winter escapes.

The slides will probably go out slowly, as Ozz states. They may stall/stop. IF they do, let up on the switch, wait 10 to 20 seconds and try again. The fuse situation (guys can describe better than I), is no reason to NOT open the slides and use Tana.

Reminder, if you use any water, or dump any water down the traps, be sure to refill with pink stuff after the holiday. We used to winter camp, with NO water hookups, used the toilet with a gallon of fresh water as our flush, at the end of the weekend we dumped some pink in and around, turned off the heat and went home to the stick built.

Enjoy the evening and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've spent four Decembers in ours in the Kansas City area. Coldest temperature we had was 5 below zero, F. We had a few individual weeks where the high never got out of the low teens. We used a lot of propane plus electric heaters but were very comfortable. However, since we do not have dual pane windows (my mistake) we put the 3M type film over the windows to keep down the drafts. This December here in Arizona we've had lows as cold as 19. We do not have the film on the windows and can tell the difference. We are comfortable but we do notice the drafts. So, if you will spend much time in cold weather I recommend either dual pane windows or film the windows to provide the additional buffer.

If you are spending just a night or two in the cold I recommend closing the door to the upstairs, use an electric heater up there to supplement the furnace. You should be fine. If you have one of the older Montanas, the ones that do not have water hookups in the basement storage area, then you also do not have insulated water lines. Be sure the furnace runs occasionally to keep heat pumping into the belly. Do not let electric heaters keep the furnace from running occasionally.

Also, if there will be a hard freeze, disconnect your water hose and use the onboard water tank and pump. I assume you do not have a heat-taped water hose.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
thanks.......I told the wife what I was goint to do....she thinks I am getting bush crazy and made me sit down for 20 minutes...ok..I wont do it this time,,, but the next time the weather breaks... Im setting up>>> Happy New Year folks..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I agree with your wife...she's one smart lady!
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I just returned from a Christmas trip where I had to set up and tear down in the snow. You should be fine. I have the hydraulic slides and had no problem with them going out. Temeratures were in the upper 20's when I set up and broke down. I had no problems.
GO FOR IT!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Well, we are living in ours full-time. Right now in Anchorage, Alaska. It's cold outside and we are doing just dandy! Go for it!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I forgot to mention we've never had a problem with moving slides in cold weather. The coldest we've done that is mid-twenties, though. The only difference from moving them in warm weather, as far as we have noticed, is the seals tend to squeal and groan in cold weather. I don't blame them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote