Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
mtmy2k2
Established Member

M.O.C. #7033
Mattress

Looking for input here and know that everyone will have a different opinion. Please tell us what has or has not worked for you.

Our standard mattress (60x74) is brutal on my back. We have added a 3" memory foam topper and then one of these egg crate foam pads. It is better but still not comfortable. In addition all of these pieces tend to slide around and every day or so we are stripping the bed and putting everything back in its place.

Has anyone upgraded to either a memory foam, sleep comfort or something else? If you have I would be interested in your comments. I will say that I weigh around 275. Now I don't want to know how much you weigh but if you weigh more or less you could use that as a reference.

Thanks and looking forward to your comments.

mtmy2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
My advice would be to spend the money and get a good quality mattress. As you have seen, adding "toppers" to a crummy mattress only makes for a thicker crummy mattress. We have a memory foam mattress that we bought about 5 years ago, and it still sleeps great. Actually, we bought it on QVC but it worked out great. Tempur-pedic and similar mattress would I am sure be equally great. We have a Posturepedic in our fiver that also is very good. Just go to a bedding store and actually lie down on several different ones to see what you like best. Also, most top quality mattresses have a 30 to 90 day guarantee period, whereby you can return the matress if you find out it's not right for you. Also remember that just because someone you know likes a particular brand, it may not be right for you - you actually have to sleep on it for a while to see how it works in your case. I think if you go to a quality store in your area they will be happy to work with you until you are satisfied. They can be expensive, but well worth the money if you get a good night's rest. Good luck.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, I guess I have to disagree. We added a memory foam topper to our OEM mattress and cut it to fit that mattress. We find that it is very comfortable and we rest well. As far as the shifting issue, we used the non-slip matterial between the mattress and the pad and seldom have to redo the bed due to shifting. When we started, I weighed about the same as you are stating as your weight, but have reduced my size to 250 and dropping.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
We changed to a king size sleep by number in our 2007 3400RL,
LOVE it.

1999 Volvo 610 pickup
2007 3400RL Montana
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Good to hear Stiles, I have dropped a few pounds too...actually 65 in the last year...
We put the dense foam topper on ours too, and have had no issue whatsoever since...we love it. If I had any problem at all I wouldn't hesitate to replace it, but I can get a good nights sleep and wake up without a sore back...works for me.
A heated mattress pad was an addition and I am loving that too.
My wife likes it cool, and I like it a little warm, so I preheat my side...
I dislike crawling into a cold bed.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
We bought a air bed from Airbedsunlimited. Went to sleep comfort store and tried out there beds and after doing some research we bought this bed. Haven't had it long but i slept very well on the first night. I like the fact that you can adjust for your comfort level and support. In my opinion it was made better than the sleep number and cheaper too.http://www.airbedsunlimited.com/index.php
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
jjwdavis

M.O.C. #7775
We have been extremely happy with our Sleep Number beds. I am 6'4" and about your weight. We have slept on our Queen in 5vers, King at home for over 10 years. We just moved our residential size Queen(60X80)out of our Mountaineer 298 into the Montana(3rd 5ver for bed).

In the 298 we raised the bed up on the shocks to pull in the slide and then lowered the bed down, just to be safe with the added length- don't really think it was necessary. 10+ years ago we purchased the lowest end Queen, hoses connected to the remotes, does not have pillow top- later added memory foam. Home King has pillow top and wireless remote. We have never had a problem with either. We never have to say - glad to get back in my bed.

Good Luck - everybody needs a good nights sleep.
jjwdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We added a Costco 4 inch memory foam/pillow top and love it. We had a rather expensive mattress in the stick home and this one is way better. We use fitted sheets and it stays on real well. I am 188 and DW is, well, around 50 lbs less. I have heard of folks buying a memory foam and cutting it with an electric knife to make it fit, if you have rounded corners as we do. Hope this helps somewhat.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Stiles,
Is the weight loss due to your cooking?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
mtmy2k2, We added a Costco 4 inch memory foam/pillow top right from the start and really love it. We sleep really well. The price was right and alot cheaper than a whole new mattress. Try it, if it doesn't work you aren't out that much money.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
mtmy2k2
Established Member

M.O.C. #7033
Thanks for all the replies. And to those of you who are losing weight all I can say is STOP because I seem to be finding it!

Thanks again!
mtmy2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:31 AM   #12
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Does the Costco 4" Memory Foam fit the king size bed. I know Coctco carries Cal. King, and I forget the size of the king mattress. Thanks
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:36 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I got mine from Costco and it was for a regular King...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We moved our Select Comfort Queen size bed from the stick house into the 5ver. I had to cut the King size plywood to make it fit; this allowed for more room between the bed and the closet.

We are very comfortable on our air bed.

One word of caution to people who own air beds and travel over high passes...don't forget to let air out of your bed before traveling. We sleep on sleep number 55, but have gotten into bed several times with the number at 100...and we were just lucky it didn't pop!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
cooneck

M.O.C. #5653
Replaced our so-called king size matress with a Queen size Sealy from Sams club. Had to cut the plywood about 6" on each side. It was a tight fit on the slide but it made it. Put a foam top on it and 2 memory pillows and sleep like a baby.
cooneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are taking our 16 inch thick Serta from the sticks and bricks and putting it in the Big Sky. As soon as it goes out to the rig we move out to the trailer. We sleep so well in that bed and we slept so poorly in the 'RV' bed in the Jayco that we decided to take as much of home with us as we could... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I have King size pillow top mattress and box springs that I spent $3000 on when my dad gifted me some money. That mattress is in the stick house keeping my bad neck and back happy.

I bought a Soma foam mattress at Sams Club for the King size Monty bed and put on a Serta pillow top mattress cover over the foam. If I put both side by side in the stick house I would have trouble telling you if I was on the $3000 bed or the $150 topper and $50 mattress cover.

I can buy lots of toppers for the price of a mattress. My good nights sleep is important to me, so if I have to buy a mattress for the moving bedroom I will. As long as I can use a foam topper and sleep just as well I will use the extra money for diesel.

Sweet dreams on what ever you end up with.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #18
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
After neck and back surgery I sleep on an air bed at home. It is the only bed I have slept on where I do not hurt in the morning. Of course I have not slept on them all, but I did return the Tempur-pedic. I ache through a couple of weeks now with the original mattress with two egg crate foam things. I intend to replace the mattress with an air bed. The select comfort bed in the camping world catalog, unless I find it cheaper somewhere else. The only reason (s) I have not done so up to now is the amount of time spent camping. It is just too short to justify the expense when you have children and grandchildren and after market auto parts for the TV to buy. With retirement looming within 3 years I will have to jump eventually. Right now Ozzie has got me going after a boost stick and muffler eliminator kit for my new TV. Go air bed, you will not be disappointed. Most will give you 30 to 90 days to try them out. Good luck.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #19
justbeginning
Established Member

M.O.C. #7130
My husband had a serious accident and broke his back in 1977. Since then we have spent a fortune trying to get a mattress that he could get a decent nights sleep on. After we bought our Montana in April he tried sleeping on the mattress but it just about drove him crazy with pain. I saw an add for the 10 inch memory foam mattress in our Zellers store at 399.00 (regular 599.99). The whole mattress is layers of foam so it could be cut rounded at the ends and came with 30 day comfort gaurantee. We put it in the Montana (uncut) and he slept on it for a week to make sure it was going to work before we cut it. After a week he said he figured it would work but he didn't have time to cut it but he decided we would keep it so we slept in the house bed that night. That night he tossed and turned all night and ended up getting up in the middle of the night to sit in a hot bath to ease the pain. The next morning he said he was going to sleep in the fifth wheel from then on until we starting long timing in November. He says when we start staying in our house after our long timing the first thing he is buying is one for the house.
When you first lay on the mattress it feels quite hard but as you lay on it you can feel it forming to your body. The real name for the mattress is the temporedic memory foam mattress. As I stated before, it comes with 30 day comfort gaurantee. The mattress in the house cost us 1200.00 just for the mattress-no box spring. I think the one in the Montana is a real deal. What do you have to lose but sleepless nights. Good luck.
justbeginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #20
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
DW recently purchased a full size queen memory foam on eBay to replace the "Queen" in our current TT. What a difference it made in comfort and reduced movement. Saved a bundle buying it on eBay. We have had a king size memory foam in our bed room for years and love it.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote