Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Toilet doesn't hold water

I saw this mentioned in another area and thought I'd start a new thread here and see if anyone has a fix for this. I have a 2006 2955RL and the toilet just doesn't hold water. I've taken that plastic, "nail file looking" gizmo (undoubtedly the technical term) and cleaned the seal, and it held water a little longer but not more than a couple minutes and now it just doesn't hold at all already.

I've not been too concerned and just added it to my warranty list but if there is an easy solution I don't mind doing it myself. Let me know if you have a fix.

I'm wondering if this topic will get moved, the last four times I started a topic I guessed wrong about the location it belonged and an administrator moved it. Funny, because I always look at all the topics and put it where I think it best fits.

***** Guess you must have gotten it right this time! ******
RVWheels/MOC Admin

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:51 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
if you contact the maker of your toilet I believe they will senr you a repair kit, I think they know they have a problem but some of them got shipped and installed before they found out about it, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Periodically our toilet won't hold water either. So, I cut about a 1-inch piece of velcro (hook side), put on a rubber glove and stick the velcro to my index finger. Then I open the toilet seal and run the velcro around underneath the hole, the sliding valve (the thing that closes to hold contents in the toilet), push the sliding valve down a little and insert the velcro between the valve and the valve seat and run it around. This seems to remove any crund that has a tendency to allow water to seep out. As a matter of fact, I did it just yesterday and the toilet is holding water again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:00 AM   #4
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
We bought a new montana last Nov.and went to Yuma for the winter and the stool never held water all winter.I tryed the little stick and various other things but then found the seal had a small notch out of it.Long story short I took it to the dealer when we got home and they replaced the seal holds good now.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

I saw this mentioned in another area and thought I'd start a new thread here and see if anyone has a fix for this. I have a 2006 2955RL and the toilet just doesn't hold water. I've taken that plastic, "nail file looking" gizmo (undoubtedly the technical term) and cleaned the seal, and it held water a little longer but not more than a couple minutes and now it just doesn't hold at all already.

I've not been too concerned and just added it to my warranty list but if there is an easy solution I don't mind doing it myself. Let me know if you have a fix.

I'm wondering if this topic will get moved, the last four times I started a topic I guessed wrong about the location it belonged and an administrator moved it. Funny, because I always look at all the topics and put it where I think it best fits.

mac
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:02 AM   #5
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
mac, When I used the "nail file looking thing" on my toilet when it wasn't holding water, I used a little dish soap on it. Maybe that lubricated the seal and made it work better. Our toilet is still holding water after a month. Kathy
triplewhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We noted a post on the subject and that there was a repair kit the vendor would send out at no cost.. A search on the subject will find the vendor and phone number. We did call them and they said the problem had been corrected. Our does not leak yet but now I wonder about that claim that they corrected the problem since yours is a " new camper"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:06 AM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Rich,

I thought there was already a thread on this but I couldn't find it, I'll try another search.

mac
Old 06-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
vanomm

M.O.C. #4694
had the same problem with water draining from the toilet bowl.
tried cleaning the seal and applying lubricant without success.

finally concluded that the seal was crimped or folded at the back edge (not visible, though), just where the valve makes final contact. turning off the water, opening the valve, and applying slight upward pressure on the seal while closing the valve and pressing down slightly on the valve as it slides into its final position took care of it (takes an acrobat to accomplish all this while letting the valve close slowly but i've still got all my fingers, eh?).

after the seal was kept in the correct position by the valve for awhile it seems to have taken care of the problem.
vanomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
There are putting in the repair kit on our new 3400 before we pick it up. The dealer contacted Keystone and they authorized the work order.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know I had that on my Pre pdi list..will have to ask if our dealer did the same thing because ours does not leak.Have had the bowl full of water all week and it is still full..
Old 06-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
We have the Sealand Traveler Lite Model 210, with the ceramic bowl. Not sure if you have the same model, but your cleaning wand, and description of the seal sounds like the same thing we received with our Monty.

While Sealand has supposedly come out recently with some retrofit or upgrade with a heavier spring that’ll maybe make the ball close tighter against the seal, I have found that the thing seems to seal for me by my lifting up firmly on the pedal after flushing, while refilling the bowl. (My wife doesn’t lift as firmly, and the water will sometimes drain out after she’s done.) If you aren’t already firmly lifting up on the pedal, try that.

I find that after a year and a half, there is no set period of time to notice that the water isn’t holding for long. Sometimes, after cleaning, it lasts for months. Other times, it may last for a week.

I couldn’t locate the stuff Sealand supplied with it to dissolve the water residue that seems to be the main problem after time. So I use CLR Bathroom Cleaner. That dissolves mineral build-up in no time flat. Trying to use just the wand probably doesn’t get it all off. If you are lifting up the pedal firmly, but aren’t using something along with the wand to remove build-up, try that.

As an after thought, since I have had to clean ours a lot in all this time, I decided to preemptively purchase a spare set of seals, and a flush ball & shaft assembly, (which comes with the cartridge assembly.) I don’t know if the new set of seals is some sort of upgrade, or not, but there’s a gray Teflon, (somewhat stiff looking,) seal, along with a black seal, (which is what I seem to see in the toilet, now,) in the set. And, in case the flush ball gets scored by long exposure to mineral build-up, (or maybe even too strenuous cleaning with that wand,) I’ll have that to literally rebuild the entire toilet.

Those kits are pricey. But I don’t want to have to refrain from using the toilet for a long time while some out of the way shop orders those parts for me when they’re finally required. The seals took almost two weeks to reach me as it is.

I’m guessing that I’m also going to need a spare wand/cleaning stick, eventually, as well. Those bumps can’t last forever. But my dealer never heard of them. I just haven’t contacted Sealand, yet. But I’m guessing they have them.

Good Luck! The water draining out is a double curse. Not only do you use more water, but you’ll have to dump the black tank all that more often!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:40 AM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We had this problem when our monty was new. Someone on here suggested to use vaseline around the seal. We did and have never had another problem yet.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Bob and Kathy,

So did you just hold the valve open and rub vaseline on the seal? I think I'll clean with soap and then try this next week when I bring her home.

mac
Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Mac, yes we first cleaned the seal then rubbed vaseline on the seal. We have had no problems with it since.
Bob
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Bob,

I'll give that a try next week. Thanks!

mac
Old 06-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
We just had a new gasket put on our new 2955 as well. Seems fine now,but will know better after our week away next week
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:12 AM   #17
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
We had the same problem of not holding water in the bowl, and saw on one of the posting that if you call Sealand with you model number they will send you replacment parts at no charge. I did this about 3 weeks ago and installed the new replacement parts consisting of a new rubber gasket and flap spring assy. and the bowl holds water better then ever. The person I spoke to at Sealand was very helpful and I got the replacement parts in less than a week.
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #18
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Kegger,

Just out of curiosity...Do you have a TEFLON gasket in that toilet, too?

Reason I ask is because I bought a "replacement gasket set" and a "flush ball kit," (from the parts list in the manual I got with this rig,) just in case we’re in the middle of nowhere and a simple cleaning doesn’t make it hold water, again. There is a rubber gasket, along with a more rigid Teflon gasket in the gasket kit. It cost a bundle, so I'm hoping there's a need for it, even though I can only see the black rubber gasket around the toilet's flush ball. The Teflon one's gray.

They included a valve assembly with the flush ball. I've heard that it's supposed to have a tougher spring, (like the upgrade they’ve sent you,) to help flip the ball tighter. But I don’t just let the lever flip back on its own. I use my foot to pull up the lever after flushing. I can see the ball close another 1/8-inch when I do. But I don't just let the lever flip by itself. Too noisy for me.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #19
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
Steve,
No I did not have a TEFLON gasket that I know of, the dealer installed the new parts for me under warrenty. Where in the toilet is the TEFLON gasket you speak of ? Mine has in the bowl the flap which looks like plastic and just under that is a rubber seal.
It seem to work fine with just the new rubber gasket and spring assy. they sent me. I have Sealand model 110 if that's any help....?

Kim
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I spoke to Shirley at Sealand and she advised me that the Leaky flush ball seal was corrected in March of 06. It would be safe to say that if your camper was built in April of 06 (as mine was) you will not have the problem.If it was built before March of 06 you HAVE the problem.Whether your seal is leaking or not call them , tell them when you unit was built and tell them it IS leaking..if you say it is NOT LEAKING NOW..they can not send you the kit....rules you know..