Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
Viewx2

M.O.C. #24137
No Hot Water

Everything that could have gone wrong with our 2016 Montana High Country has gone wrong. I won't go into everything, but after putting in a new hot water heater on this trip, it worked for 5 weeks. Started getting a DSI fault light while running electric. No hot water. Tried on propane, same result. Talked to repair shop, and advised that we purchase a new control board. I bought and replaced the control board, nothing. Called mobile repair where we are now camped. They tried and could not fix it, and they never heard of this happening. (Charged me $154 and said that's as good as they could do). On gas, light came on, but water went to 155+ degrees. We've got one shower in there, then water will be cold after that. Dometic will not talk to repairman, but said they don't know what's wrong, either. Experts and a lot of other DIY neighbors are dumbfounded, and we're on a long trip with no hot water.

Viewx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
What was wrong with the original water heater that made it necessary to replace?

Where is this DSI fault light? If you are talking about the small light inside next to your switches for the water heater, the little red light would be the indicator that the gas system is lighting the gas when in gas mode and is not a fault light, and if you were only in electric mode, it wouldn't come on.

Has the water heater worked when in electric mode? If not, have you turned on the black rocker switch outside in the lower left corner of the water heater? And, if the electric did work at one time, was the tank of the water heater full of water at the time? If the water heater tank did not have water in it when the electric was turned on, it is possible that the electric element has burned out, which will require a replacement element.

You said when on gas, the water temperature went to over 155 degrees and then doesn't heat again. This could happen if the gas mode thermostat/high temp limit switch activated due to high temperature. It may need to be replaced for the gas side to work again.

Other than these things, I can't come up with a solution. Who replaced the water heater? And, did they operate it to see that it worked once installed?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
In the files section of the webpage there is a water heater troubleshooting file.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...hp?do=cat&id=3

The electrical diagram for electrical operation is very simple. If you have a multi meter and feel comfortable using it around 120VAC you should be able to trace out that side of the problem.

Troubleshooting the gas side will take some additional skills and experience.
Attached Images

Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I feel your pain! Sorry you are experiencing problems.
Seems like a new water heater would come with some warranty.
How long ago did it get installed? Who installed it ? Where did you buy it?
That info may help someone recommend a path to follow to get things set right.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Viewx2

M.O.C. #24137
Thanks for Replys to No Hot Water

First, I replaced the water heater due to a small crack in tank. The tank worked perfectly for 5 weeks on both electric and gas, I've done all normal trouble shooting, and I know how to operate this system. The mobile repairman was dumbfounded. The Direct Spark Ignition light comes on when using electric, which makes no sense. It's not supposed to. This is the last straw for me. I have replaced the black tank, two slide cables, much more, now this. This was bought brand new and has not been abused. We're done.
Viewx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
On my unit, there is the high temp cutoff outside. I think there are 2 - one elec and one gas. Anyway, they are covered with a black rubber and there are 2 round protrusions (not too high). I think you can press the center and reset something. I might be way off but I think I am right.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I would remove the rubber cover over the Rest Buttons inside the heater. Check the electrical connections there. Look for shorted wires or thermostat. Ensure the 120v power from the black rocker switch is making it to the electric side thermostat. The left thermostat/high limit switch is the electric one. The right is the 12V one.

I agree it is baffling.

If the gas side gets to 150 degrees, the high limit switch is shot. Most are set for 130 although you can get a 140 one.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote