Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Gel coat luster

Due to health reasons I have been neglecting the exterior of my 2016 Montana.
Feeling much better I washed it over the last two days and was happy with the results.
One thing I did notice was a lack of the original luster on the gel coat. I have found a number of products, available, claiming the same outcome, all good.
What have you found that worked for you. I do not have a buffer and would be doing small sections by hand.
Thx

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It might be safer to just have a pro do the detailing. They will have tools and all that is needed to bring the luster back to your rig. They will also have the ladders and such to do it safely.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Five Star Detailing, who are doing this year’s Rally, do an excellent job and have done our 2016 a few times and people can't believe that it's almost 7 years old.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I’m in Illinois and will not be attending this years rally. As my physical constitution has improved I would like to try it myself. Thx
Old 09-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
For well under $100 you can purchase a buffer or dual action polisher at say Harbor Freight or the tool outlet stores. If you're determined to do this yourself, it will be the best money you've spent in recent years, believe me. Plus, the finish will turn out way better than any thing you try to do solely by hand. I've had good luck with Protect All fiberglass oxidation remover and color restorer or either Meguiar's number 49 oxidation remover or 50 cleaner wax. Be honest with yourself, you looking at well over 800 sq ft depending on the size of your unit.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thx. I’ll check those products out. Surprisingly a lot that I looked at said to not apply to decals. Thx
Old 09-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Applying wax products to decals has not been recommended for some years. Most decals are made of a vinyl product and have tiny pores in them to allow the product to breath. If you wax over them, it seals the pores. In the 05 - 12ish timeframe Keystone had many decal issues due to inferior decal sourcing. My 05 got a compete new set from Keystone as all of them just rolled up on every edge or flat cracked away. I have used the Protect All product mentioned earlier SPARINGLY on a FEW decals which brought back a little bit of life to them. On a side note ... if you do remove any decals for whatever reason, there will be a "ghost" outline of that decal beneath it. It is near impossible to get rid of that "ghost" no matter what product or what buffer you use. I do have that T shirt.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thx. I know too well about pealing decals. My ‘08 3400 RL got a complete replacement decal set from Keystone. Thanks to some of your suggestions it made the task almost tolerable.
Our 2016 has not had any problems, yet.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
For well under $100 you can purchase a buffer or dual action polisher at say Harbor Freight or the tool outlet stores. If you're determined to do this yourself, it will be the best money you've spent in recent years, believe me. Plus, the finish will turn out way better than any thing you try to do solely by hand. I've had good luck with Protect All fiberglass oxidation remover and color restorer or either Meguiar's number 49 oxidation remover or 50 cleaner wax. Be honest with yourself, you looking at well over 800 sq ft depending on the size of your unit.
You’re right. I just spent about 30 minutes working an area by hand. Between a left shoulder torn rotator cuff and a reverse right shoulder replacement, I’ve called it a day.
Time to shop for a polisher.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #10
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by c214dick View Post
Due to health reasons I have been neglecting the exterior of my 2016 Montana.
Feeling much better I washed it over the last two days and was happy with the results.
One thing I did notice was a lack of the original luster on the gel coat. I have found a number of products, available, claiming the same outcome, all good.
What have you found that worked for you. I do not have a buffer and would be doing small sections by hand.
Thx
Use the 303 Marine/Vinyl cleaner/protectant for your decals. (Amazon) Does a great job and they look new when you are done. I use a Marine polish for my fiberglass, then use a polymer wax/Polish like Nu Finish (orange bottle) after that. They can’t call it a wax, and it’s not really a polish, its a polymer. Do not use this on your decals. I did once without damage but they say not to. I like this for the long lasting durability. I also use the McGuires car wash soap with the wax in it. Also a great product. As others have suggested, get a good quality polisher. Good money spent. Don’t cheap out. Don’t need top of the line but get something decent. I’m 70 and wouldn’t even consider trying to polish/ wax my RV by hand. You will regret it. Remember to wipe polish off while still wet. When applying wax or Nu Finish, remember a THIN coat is what you want, and I mean thin. The surface can only hold so much product. Most people waste their wax by applying to much, which makes it harder to remove. Hope this helps.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Shine and luster????? My comment has nothing to do with your topic, but you sparked a memory for me.

I was in Basic Training, (Fort Dix, NJ - November 1982) and we'd reached that point in our 8 weeks of basic training where we went out for bivouac when we qualified for our riffles.

One day, the Drill Sargent spotted one of us recruits and pulled him out in front formation. He had him stand at Parade Rest and he inspected him. He then took the guys glasses off his head and smeared some of that black face make-up we were all required to wear. He then handed the glasses back to the guy and had put them on and then told us he was not waring his military issued glasses. He was wearing his civilian glasses. Wearing the glasses was not wrong. BUT, because they had shiny silver they would reflect light. And even in deep woods, you don't want to wear anything that reflects light when you are in combat!

It made me stop and think real hard! I never forgot that!

When I ended up in Korea a couple years after that and when we went out to the field, I always made sure I wore my goofie looking black plastic, army issued glasses. Once back in garrison, it didn't matter. (I was in 1/72 Armor Battalion - 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Casey).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote