Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
GFCI

Hey guys and gals its been a while but I`m back. I have been having a problem with the ground fault breaker. The receptacle works fine but after that it has lost power to the rest of the gfci connected receptacles after it. The wire goes from the gfci to the kitchen plug then to the ceiling fan etc.. I know this because I unhooked the 3 separate lines that are connected to the kitchen plug, found the live line and hooked them back up after being disconnected for a day then it somehow worked. This has happened a couple times in the last year, the power disappears after the gfci them mysteriously comes back on. Has this happened to anyone else? I figured there must be a loose connection somewhere but there wasn`t. Either at the gfci or the kitchen receptacle, all were tight. All I can think of is that there must be a break in the wire between the bath and kitchen. I might have to put in a new line to the kitchen, going through the basement then behind the pantry fridge stove and drawers, there is a hole in the panel that runs to the kitchen receptacle, an easy feed. Any other ideas what causes it to come and go?? thx

mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
check all junction boxes even those UNDER slides, sometimes they get water in them. Heavy rain or washing the rig sometimes will upset ground faults.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Will do thanks Mrs.CG
Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
It is highly unlikely that you have a broken wire in the wall. Your problem is in the GFCI or outlets and splices as stated above.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Our rig has a outside receptacle on the right slide. A year ago I had problems with the kitchen GFCI tripping unexpectedly. The first place I looked was that outside receptacle and sure enough I found water in it. I dried it out, put it back together with a new gasket and added a bit of sealant. Haven't had a problem since.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I put in a new gfci, it was not the gfci that is the problem it works. All the receptacles after the gfci didn`t work. Something between the gfci and the first outlet is not letting power get to it. I checked every recepicale that the gfci feeds, and all were fine. I even checked the ceiling fan which is on the gfci line. Thanks for the replies everyone!! as usual help is not far away on this forum!1