Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Bus crash in Mexico

Our local radio (in Ontario) is reporting that there has been a serious bus crash in Mexico. The bus was filled with "elderly" tourists from McAllen, TX. I know that many winter Texans take those bus trips into Mexico, Donna and some other MOC friends went on that same trip a couple of years ago. We hope everyone down there is safe. The radio mentioned that one of the couples on board was from the same county as we live in, and another couple were from a nearby city where we used to live.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Might want to look here for updates, I have not opened the article, but the headlines are grim.

http://www.krgv.com/default.aspx
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
There were Canadians staying at Victoria Palms involved in the crash. No-one that we knew.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
We were on that tour about three weeks ago...The bus drivers seemed competent and the equipment was good "for here"..there has been overwhelming support for the injured from all around the RGV..We (in FnS) are willing to help if asked...there was a couple that just left here monday and headed home from Caledonia...they were the type of folks that would have headed on down to Mexico to see if they could help a neighbour...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
One of the dead was from Caledonia, ON. That is quite close to where we live, but we do not know them. According to the local papers, they only moved there recently from Stony Creek. Caledonia is not all that big a town, makes me wonder if the couple you refer to might have taken a bus trip before heading home. Anyway it is a sad situation, but from all we have heard, authorities in Mexico, and the hospitals there gave excellent service and care. The truck driver is said to have been intoxicated and the truck's owner had no insurance. Both have been charged. The dead person was Carolyn Kowaleski aged 68, husband's name is Randall, he is reported to be "seriously injured".
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
There is a Canuck dinner gathering this afternoon here..the crash has been a hot topic here so I expect some discussion at the dinner..there is also a viva tours agent that does business and lives in this park..I have learned that the viva tours do not have any liability insurance whatsoever and anyone injured on one of tours has to rely on their own insruance or the insurance of the carrier/facility that they are on at the time..we are sure to hear more of this as it progesses..I will certainly be paying attention as we intended to go to Monterray again next year..

AND also something that I learned recently...it may be old news to some and it may come as a shock to our age group......Canadians.....my son in law aged 39 years died of a heart attack last month..Joyce had to go home to be with the grls....she got everything arranged and organized and then went about taking care of the G/kids while the daughter was being assisted with the paperwork for the life insurance etc...when she was asked to provied the marriage CERTIFICATE... she hands over the marriage LICENCE to which the reply is No thats a licence..we want a CERTIFICATE.........everything comes to a grinding halt until the CERTIFICATE is obtained for a cost of $75.00...so if you dont have one,,get it.. as well...be prepared to shell out a double fee for an autopsy...as result of a couple of shady Coroners in Ontario it has been decreed that one autopsy is not enough any more, there must be a secondary one done(at your expense btw) before anything gets filed...God help you if the coroners do not agree on the cause of death...Joyce had to come home and the paperwork was still in limbo... if it werent for the generosity of the residents of our town, the owner and )SiL( employer of the local Sobeys the daughter would be in sad shape until the proper documents were filed////cant even die in peace anymore without the long arm of bigbrother taking its share and creating havoc.....
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote