Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
CT Wanderer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19250
Wall board coming loose

Just discovered the wall board coming loose from the stud next to the dining room slide. Thought maybe I had a leak so I checked the roof and found no problem. Has anyone had the wall come loose like this? I will try to post some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5079 (1).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	9076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5080 (1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	9077  

Old 05-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
shaky transport

I have had this happen to ours as well, I just give it a wack every once in a while. They are not screwed in they are more like a staple, so mine have backed off sometimes. Normally after a long trip, I have a few. I wouldn't worry too much
Previous Eagle Cap 850, Elkhorn 8.5, Alfa Gold 38RLT
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
CT Wanderer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19250
I thought about trying to brad nailing it but as far as I know it is metal studs not wood. Was wondering how it was fastened at the factory, screws or glue?
Old 05-03-2021, 03:49 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Ours is a 2019, but the interior walls are tacked with brad nails. The exterior walls are compressed together and laminated at the factory with the outside fiberglass, studs and insulation and the interior wall board laminated together. If it's on an outside wall, there may be a bigger problem here.
RMcNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #5
CT Wanderer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19250
This is on an outside wall. Wonder if anyone has had a similar problem and has a fix.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:01 AM   #6
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Wanderer View Post
This is on an outside wall. Wonder if anyone has had a similar problem and has a fix.
I have that on the outside wall in the hallway. A bubbled out section in the joint about 6 inches long. I put gorilla glue behind it and braced it for a weekend, it didn't hold.
I also have a short section like that in the ceiling of my dining room slide at a joint.
Since it's on outside walls I've wondered if it's covered by the 3 year structural warranty.
I've also wondered about the construction of the walls, if there's another layer of paneling behind this one to staple to.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:41 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Our unit has a half wall between the kitchen and living room area that was supposed to attach to the outside wall, but the screws missed the stud. Not long after we took possession, the half wall came loose. Our dealer was going to send it back to Indiana to have that outside wall replaced as they said that was the "correct" fix for the problem and explained how the wall is constructed. We ended up finding a better solution, and didn't send it back to Keystone. Since you are out of warranty, you might consider using a stud finder to locate the aluminum studs then put a screw or two through the wallboard to hold in place. Just be very careful with this as there may be wiring in that wall also. It would help if you have a better stud finder that can also sense electricity. They're more expensive than a cheapo, but it may save you more headaches down the road.
As I understand it, the outside walls are constructed with fiberglass on the outside, studs and styrofoam insulation in the middle and wall board on the inside. All this is sandwiched together with glue and compressed to form the laminated wall. Each wall section has the necessary wiring put into it before the lamination is done so that the wires can be connected after the wall is in place. Unlike conventional construction, you can't simply remove the drywall and get to the studs and there isn't a cavity between the outside and inside layer like framing in a house.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:50 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
BTW, there are several videos on YouTube that show how these rigs are constructed. Search for Montana Factory Tour, or something similar. Seeing it may make more sense.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #9
CT Wanderer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19250
I checked out the videos. They didn't show the actually laminating but they never mentioned screws so I assume they used some sort of glue. There is tape the same color and pattern of the wall covering over the seam between the wallboard panels. Maybe I can lift it, put in a couple screws and reapply the tape. If I just put a couple screws in without reapplying the tape they would standout. I don't think I could patch over the screws and make it match. Hopefully the tape will come off intact so I can reuse.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
CT Wanderer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Our unit has a half wall between the kitchen and living room area that was supposed to attach to the outside wall, but the screws missed the stud. Not long after we took possession, the half wall came loose. Our dealer was going to send it back to Indiana to have that outside wall replaced as they said that was the "correct" fix for the problem and explained how the wall is constructed. We ended up finding a better solution, and didn't send it back to Keystone. Since you are out of warranty, you might consider using a stud finder to locate the aluminum studs then put a screw or two through the wallboard to hold in place. Just be very careful with this as there may be wiring in that wall also. It would help if you have a better stud finder that can also sense electricity. They're more expensive than a cheapo, but it may save you more headaches down the road.
As I understand it, the outside walls are constructed with fiberglass on the outside, studs and styrofoam insulation in the middle and wall board on the inside. All this is sandwiched together with glue and compressed to form the laminated wall. Each wall section has the necessary wiring put into it before the lamination is done so that the wires can be connected after the wall is in place. Unlike conventional construction, you can't simply remove the drywall and get to the studs and there isn't a cavity between the outside and inside layer like framing in a house.
When you say you found a better solution, what was the better solution? Did you screw the wall board to the stud as you described? If so how did you cover the screws so they didn't show.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:17 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The wall stud wasn't near enough to screw the half wall to it. I used 2 pieces of oak trim stained to match as close as possible. Put one on the inside of the half wall glued to the outside wall using PL200. After that set up, I put the second trim piece on the outside of the half wall, and also glued it to the outside wall. Essentially sandwiched the half wall on either side with trim glued to the outside wall. It's solid enough now that I can't move the half wall by pulling on it.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:16 AM   #12
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
The wall stud wasn't near enough to screw the half wall to it. I used 2 pieces of oak trim stained to match as close as possible. Put one on the inside of the half wall glued to the outside wall using PL200. After that set up, I put the second trim piece on the outside of the half wall, and also glued it to the outside wall. Essentially sandwiched the half wall on either side with trim glued to the outside wall. It's solid enough now that I can't move the half wall by pulling on it.
So I take it that the interior wallpapered panel is the only panel on the interior of the wall studs and is only attached to the wall with glue to the studs and styrofoam insulation?
Old 05-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #13
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
That's correct. The exterior wall is wallpapered and the stud was supposed to (I think) align with the half wall at 90 degrees so the half wall could attach to the exterior wall at the stud. However the stud is about 3 inches away from where the half wall meets the exterior wall. The screws that were supposed to be in the exterior wall stud were run through the wallpapered drywall into styrofoam insulation instead of into the stud. Over time, they wollered out a hole about an inch in diameter as movement caused them to rattle around. Here's a picture of the half wall where it meets the exterior wall. This is before the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	halfwall_repair.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	9093  
Old 05-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #14
holbrook2
Established Member

M.O.C. #18169
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Wanderer View Post
Just discovered the wall board coming loose from the stud next to the dining room slide. Thought maybe I had a leak so I checked the roof and found no problem. Has anyone had the wall come loose like this? I will try to post some pictures.
We had the same problem. We attended the Montana owners rally at Goshen, Ind. They put all of their tech’s in camp for the week for free repairs. They looked at our panel between our2 slides and told me that we would have to pull over to the factory or they would provide me with the adhesive and seam tape so I could repair it at home. I cut 2 wood blocks to fit behind the slide out flange , applied the adhesive behind ,slid wood shims behind the 2 wood blocks, to put pressure on the panel and left it for a week. 3yrs and still holding.You need panel adhesive ,not glue, along with pressure on the spot. Good luck.
holbrook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #15
CT Wanderer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19250
Quote:
Originally Posted by holbrook2 View Post
We had the same problem. We attended the Montana owners rally at Goshen, Ind. They put all of their tech’s in camp for the week for free repairs. They looked at our panel between our2 slides and told me that we would have to pull over to the factory or they would provide me with the adhesive and seam tape so I could repair it at home. I cut 2 wood blocks to fit behind the slide out flange , applied the adhesive behind ,slid wood shims behind the 2 wood blocks, to put pressure on the panel and left it for a week. 3yrs and still holding.You need panel adhesive ,not glue, along with pressure on the spot. Good luck.
This is very valuable information. If I can reuse the tape on the seam all I will need is some panel adhesive. I'm going to try and remove some tape in the closet and see how that goes before I attempt to repair the more visible seam in the living room.