Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #21
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We haven't installed the Soft Start devices, not sure we will, but from what I've read, these are much more than a capacitor. If we were in a situation where we needed to run our A/C's on generators, I would definitely install these. https://www.softstartrv.com/staycool/

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:27 AM   #22
montanaowner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26686
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
We haven't installed the Soft Start devices, not sure we will, but from what I've read, these are much more than a capacitor. If we were in a situation where we needed to run our A/C's on generators, I would definitely install these. https://www.softstartrv.com/staycool/
Thanks for the heads up. Misunderstood when I first looked at it.

https://realpars.com/soft-starter/

Makes perfect sense now.
montanaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:52 AM   #23
Freedom@62
Established Member

M.O.C. #27755
I've seen plenty of posts of what is considered a full time RV'er is. What difference does it make if they travel or are stationary. In my mind if you don't have a sticks and bricks home and live in your RV you are fulltime. Granted you may run into different situations on the road all the time. Does this apply to snowbirds who only travel a couple times a year. I myself have not retired yet and live stationary in my Montana but we do take vacations in our Montana and fully expect to retire soon and hit the road.
Freedom@62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #24
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
If you keep just one of each part that you COULD need you will be extremely over weight.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #25
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I suppose you could always purchase a second unit of the same year/model for spare parts.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #26
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaowner View Post

Tossing out another question. Anyone have experience with Soft Starts for the ACs? Almost $300 bucks each for essentially what is a capacitor seems expensive. Any alternatives?

2010 Montana 3600 RL

Much more than a simple capacitor. For those who boondock/dry camp, they are well worth the price. If you're stationary and/or plugged in all the time, I don't see the need.

Our Micro Air Easy Starts actually reduced measured inrush current by an average of 10 times less. My only regret is not installing them decades ago.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #27
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom@62 View Post
I've seen plenty of posts of what is considered a full time RV'er is. What difference does it make if they travel or are stationary. In my mind if you don't have a sticks and bricks home and live in your RV you are fulltime. Granted you may run into different situations on the road all the time. Does this apply to snowbirds who only travel a couple times a year. I myself have not retired yet and live stationary in my Montana but we do take vacations in our Montana and fully expect to retire soon and hit the road.
There are thousands and thousands of folks that convert a fifth wheel or travel trailer into a permanent "park model" and live in it on a lot. It never moves and many times it is actually sitting on blocks with skirting around it. To me these folks are not full time RVers or any type of RVers, they are just folks living in a residence.

Then there are thousands and thousands of folks who live full time in their RV and either travel a little or travel a lot. To me these folks are full time RVers.

The OP came to the right place for advise on how to maintain his Montana and what possible parts to have on hand. But the OP is not a full time RVer IMHO.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #28
montanaowner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
There are thousands and thousands of folks that convert a fifth wheel or travel trailer into a permanent "park model" and live in it on a lot. It never moves and many times it is actually sitting on blocks with skirting around it. To me these folks are not full time RVers or any type of RVers, they are just folks living in a residence.

Then there are thousands and thousands of folks who live full time in their RV and either travel a little or travel a lot. To me these folks are full time RVers.

The OP came to the right place for advise on how to maintain his Montana and what possible parts to have on hand. But the OP is not a full time RVer IMHO.
Oh my god. So if it makes you feel any better. I am a guy who travels from contract to contract and lives in my 5th wheel full time. In between the times that I am going from contract to contract that is.

The Webster's definition "spending or requiring all of the time normally given to an activity. Opposite of part-time." Kind of fits the Webster's definition. Fits it closely. I don't know what colloquialism you are referring to. Maybe your definition of "full time" doesn't fit the Websters?

So, in a few minutes Mister "you aint full time because I say so", I am going to jerk the refrigerator out of the back of the truck. Took a 180 mile round trip to pick it up from the shop. Hopefully I can wrestle it back into the hole and get it hooked up this evening. At least without major orthopedic trauma. At this age.......it is a risk.

As an aside, I have about half a dozen boards that I bought. RV systems are pretty simple.....except for that. Vulnerable computer boards and I figure going for the low hanging fruit before pulling systems apart is a good use of my limited time and expense. Bought some shark bites. Great suggestion. I am a bit modest. I have a great tool chest and actually know how to use the tools. I've gone cordless and thank god for that. What a hand saver. So, thanks to everyone who made good suggestions.

Getting back to Mister Aint no full timer..........it shouldn't take me but a few minutes to get the refer hooked up. Getting it back in is the challenge. I guess if you are a "real" full timer you can just pull in a shop and get the techs to do it. Putting in that service call now. Hello.

As for the person who suggested I get an identical rig for spare parts. Would it be out of line to suggest a place where you can store it until I need it? I am sure it would fit although there might be a bit of cephalgic crowding.

I am not allowed to flame anyone now. Pity I used my one get out of jail free card already.
montanaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #29
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The second unit post was meant as a joke. So many parts that might be useful. Sorry you're having a bad day. Not everyone's out to get ya.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #30
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Mathew,

Recommend you lighten up a little. As Robert said - no one is out to get you.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:55 PM   #31
bwright
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17756
My exact thoughts when I read this......hahaha!
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote