Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #21
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Hopefully ok and in the correct section.

We just ordered a 3120rl 2 months ago. Research shows a MSRP of 81,053 on the Montana website. We had seen models listed at our dealer for $69,999 on just basic models, no additional options, one they dropped to 64,999 due to slight imperfections.

I had done some used model & lots of new model online searches, and noticed midwest ( montana/ wy) prices were a couple thousand less listed pricing I had seen, so I knew California was closer to MSRP than some places, but I never saw any listed anywhere for $52,000.

I have seen on other Montana groups folks discussing pricing on 2020 used model with an asking price of $49k, and a few folks STATING they bought the same model for $52k.

Assuming this is the base price before taxes, delivery, etc, how they heck are folks actually getting a new Montana for close to $50k ? I have searched brokerages, cheapest price on new Montana's by model, and have never seen anything below $64k. And if these have any options, they really got a blowout price. I will say s freind said he bought a vehicle for a blowout price, and after a few years started "remembering" with his wife's input, his price was quite a bit higher than his story was, lol.

Are these folks really good negotiators, or buying RV's that have been on the lot a long time, etc?

Just curious how bad we got stung, lol

Thanks

Allen
I researched on RVTrader for a couple years and determined 38% discount was doable. When I pulled the trigger they accepted my offer so I maybe could have gone even lower. This was in summer of 2017 for a 2018 model.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #22
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Hopefully ok and in the correct section.

We just ordered a 3120rl 2 months ago. Research shows a MSRP of 81,053 on the Montana website. We had seen models listed at our dealer for $69,999 on just basic models, no additional options, one they dropped to 64,999 due to slight imperfections.

I had done some used model & lots of new model online searches, and noticed midwest ( montana/ wy) prices were a couple thousand less listed pricing I had seen, so I knew California was closer to MSRP than some places, but I never saw any listed anywhere for $52,000.

I have seen on other Montana groups folks discussing pricing on 2020 used model with an asking price of $49k, and a few folks STATING they bought the same model for $52k.

Assuming this is the base price before taxes, delivery, etc, how they heck are folks actually getting a new Montana for close to $50k ? I have searched brokerages, cheapest price on new Montana's by model, and have never seen anything below $64k. And if these have any options, they really got a blowout price. I will say s freind said he bought a vehicle for a blowout price, and after a few years started "remembering" with his wife's input, his price was quite a bit higher than his story was, lol.

Are these folks really good negotiators, or buying RV's that have been on the lot a long time, etc?

Just curious how bad we got stung, lol

Thanks

Allen
You have to consider you factory ordered your unit with the options you wanted. Its brand new with current costs for materials. Shipping isn’t as big a chunk as you may think except for the west coast. It doesn’t appear you got stung as bad as you may fear. Could you have gotten it a little cheaper? You will never know at this point so why beat yourself up? Where you get stung is on resale. Depreciation on brand new units is killer, so take good care of it, enjoy it, and hopefully you will have it for about 5 years or more before you decide to sell it. I bought mine used from a dealer before covid hit and was still a buyers market. I was able to negotiate a below market price on a very clean unit. I knew what floor plan and model i wanted and shopped for months all over the country. I looked at 7 units before I bought this one. Times change and I have had one unsolicited offer for about 5k more than I paid 2 years later. By the time I sell this one I’m sure prices will have fallen and I’ll probably get market price but who knows. As others have stated, when inventories of materials catch up, and dealer inventory gets back to normal, prices will stabilize. When all the “covid” buyers decide to sell, prices on used will really drop with the excesses inventory, so be prepared for that. You made your deal, now go have fun!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #23
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Thanks for the additional replies.

Man, 38% off MSPR would be a great price, I would have ordered the supersolarflex

Yes, good points Mike.

It is how we wanted it, and this website has been a valuable learning experience, if I can only recall all of the information when I need it.

Another 6 weeks is killing me, lol

Allen
Old 04-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #24
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Some of the people on here who got “great deals” didn’t buy them this year. While good prices may have been paid 3 or 4 years ago, 2020-2021 is a whole different market. Like the man said, it’s a sellers market.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:58 AM   #25
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
We bought a used 5th wheel to avoid the high cost of a new one and are doing some remodeling. Bought two sheets of 1/2" sanded one side plywood the other day for $66.00 a sheet. This is from a local lumber yard where i get a discount. Prices are absurd right now. All in all by the time we finish with the upgrades and making things right, both mechanically and cosmetically, we'll have about $20,000 in it. Thought that a better way to go than spending $80,000 and risk loosing about $20,000 if we want to resell it. There might still be some good used units out there.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #26
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
I always thought MSRP was the same thing as the sticker pricing on a vehicle. The price that we never agree to pay in spite of what the mfgr or dealer says. It's what the dealers want you to believe you should pay so that when they discount it to what they are actually willing to sell it for everyone goes home happy thinking they got a heck of a deal.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #27
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeririgged223 View Post
I always thought MSRP was the same thing as the sticker pricing on a vehicle. The price that we never agree to pay in spite of what the mfgr or dealer says. It's what the dealers want you to believe you should pay so that when they discount it to what they are actually willing to sell it for everyone goes home happy thinking they got a heck of a deal.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding you but MSRP is the sticker price. The price you pay can be as much as 38% less depending on conditions, right now you might not get any discount.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #28
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
hemiallen, I bought mine from a Sacramento dealer (not camping world) and got a great discount and wonderful service.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #29
Buckeye_Col

M.O.C. #28187
Montana prices increased

We have a 3791RD we’re picking up on Friday that we ordered way back in January. It turns out we missed the new 10% price increase by one or two days. Dealer said all Montana’s that leave the plant after the first week of May will be subject to the price increase and that we were lucky to have squeaked by.

If you have a trailer on order, you should reach out to your dealer to find out if your price is changing. Even Haylett RV announced they were no longer honoring their price guarantee for orders from now until further notice. It’s just not a good year to be a buyer...
Buckeye_Col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #30
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
This doesn’t surprise me as all on the price increases. Costs are going way up. Inflation could be killing us all in the very near future.

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #31
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The inflation rate was up .8% in April. That rate is nearly triple what it was since the election. .6 in March, .4 in February, .3 in January. It is a bad time to make large purchases especially for discretionary items like rvs.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:06 AM   #32
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
MSRP is Manufacturer's "SUGGESTED" Retail Price. Before COVID, dealer discounted retail prices were indeed 30% or more below the MSRP. Demand has skyrocketed and the discount tends to disappear in such sellers markets. This, too, will change as we come out the other side of the pandemic. Higher pricing tends to destroy demand but not before RV manufacturers will increase production to meet current red hot demand and typically overshoot. Same for their suppliers. Oversupply will kill pricing and a new buyers market will ensue. Right now steel, lumber, copper, plastics, etc. are all rising dramatically in price, computer chips are in short supply and so is the availability of skilled labor further exacerbating the problems as the economic system tries to adjust to a recovering economy. New RVs are getting temporarily and relatively expensive but it will not last. But cheap prices are, relatively speaking, gone forever as the minimum wage rises. As new RVs price into the stratosphere even older RVs will see more consumer interest driving their resale prices higher. It is what it is. If you are not planning on full timing or frequently using an RV... renting one may be a better option, financially speaking. YMMV as they say. No doubt about it, if you need a fulltime rig you will for the comparative near future be paying for it... MSRPs are up, but there will always be discounting from that price for the savvy buyer. Dealers still have bills to pay and families to take care of. Knowledge is your friend and your ace in the hole. JMHO.

One last thing, try to defer buying an RV until you can pay cash. RVs normally depreciate in value quickly and financing one(depreciating assets) is generally not a good idea.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #33
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Well said and right on.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote