Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2021, 07:26 AM   #1
DDunnick

M.O.C. #28447
Exclamation Brand New Camper Both Slides Leak-

PLEASE HELP!
If anyone knows how to get Keystone (Thor) to respond and take care of me please let us know. After 30 years in the Army my husband and I spent a year finding what we thought was the “right camper with the right company”, we thought we found it. Last March we purchased a 2020 Montana High Country 10th Anniversary 5th wheel. We were so excited to take it. The first trip out, the cable on the dining slide snapped, we took it to a dealer and it was repaired. Then a month later we planned a trip and went to start getting things ready only to find out the entire wall and floor were wet in one living room slide as the window was leaking due to being installed incorrectly. The camper went back to the dealer, it took 7 months to get the authorization from Keystone for the parts and for repair. When we went to pick it up from the authorized repair shop, we were comparing to the other living room slide, only to discover the other slide is now starting to slip and do the same thing. The problem is our warranty is about to run out. The first slide is still not correct because Keystone agreed that it was “wet” but not wet enough for certain materials to be approved. We have called Keystone many times trying to get them to help, we continue to be told they will call back but so far after calling several times in the last week… no response. I feel they aren’t responding because the warranty is about to run out and then it isn’t their problem. We are so disappointed in Keystones lack of customer service and standing behind their product. If we just happened to get a “bad” one, and Keystone campers aren’t normally built that way and someone would help us we could understand. This has been our dream for many years, we currently continue to make payments on a brand new camper that has been in shop 8 of the last 12 months. If anyone knows how to help please contact me!

DDunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
DDunnick

M.O.C. #28447
Fix my camper !!!

HEY KEYSTONE!!!
You have not only given us a terrible product but terrible customer service.
You have taken advantage of a customer, a 30 yr Army Veteran and a dream.
FIX MY CAMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone knows how to get Keystone (Thor) to respond and take care of me please let us know. After 30 years in the Army my husband and I spent a year finding what we thought was the “right camper with the right company”, we thought we found it. Last March we purchased a 2020 Montana High Country 10th Anniversary 5th wheel. We were so excited to take it. The first trip out, the cable on the dining slide snapped, we took it to a dealer and it was repaired. Then a month later we planned a trip and went to start getting things ready only to find out the entire wall and floor were wet in one living room slide as the window was leaking due to being installed incorrectly. The camper went back to the dealer, it took 7 months to get the authorization from Keystone for the parts and for repair. When we went to pick it up from the authorized repair shop, we were comparing to the other living room slide, only to discover the other slide is now starting to slip and do the same thing. The problem is our warranty is about to run out. The first slide is still not correct because Keystone agreed that it was “wet” but not wet enough for certain materials to be approved. We have called Keystone many times trying to get them to help, we continue to be told they will call back but so far after calling several times in the last week… no response. I feel they aren’t responding because the warranty is about to run out and then it isn’t their problem. We are so disappointed in Keystones lack of customer service and standing behind their product. If we just happened to get a “bad” one, and Keystone campers aren’t normally built that way and someone would help us we could understand. This has been our dream for many years, we currently continue to make payments on a brand new camper that has been in shop 8 of the last 12 months. If anyone knows how to help please contact me!
DDunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Please send me your full name, phone number and the last eight of your vin number and I will have Keystone contact you. You can send this information in a private message.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sorry for your issues. I can tell you two things. First, ninety percent of Montana owners are very happy with their campers. We are taking delivery of our fourth Montana in a couple of weeks. Second, most customer service issues are dealer related. These units are pretty basic. Figuring things like leaks out doesn’t take months. At our current dealer I have never had to leave my unit over night. They identify the parts I need, order them and then schedule the repair. As I tell prospective buyers, choose your dealer first, then Brand and Floor Plan.

That doesn’t help you. You already have your Montana. First, does your state have a lemon law? That may be one avenue. Second, get an extended warranty. Our camper (we’re trading it in on a new Montana) is getting some warranty work over the winter and it is six years old. Third, have a sit down with your dealer. Montana, while in warranty, wants you to deal with your selling dealer. Sorry for your issues. We learned the hard way on a more minor issue that buying an RV is different than buying a car. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
If I were in your shoes I think I'd look into a small claims case (rules vary by state). They don't involve lawyers at all, are relatively easy to file, and cannot be ignored. Make sure you keep a record of who and when you talked to and what you talked about. Send emails and save them too. That way you have an undisputable record.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In my experience the problem is usually the dealer. Our dealer is quite knowledgeable in how to send in claims and getting them approved. That said, you have a reply to another post about the same issues from Mootana, do what he suggests.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Not to pile on, but the selling dealer is one of the more important considerations when buying a new rig. This has all the hallmarks of a dealer who doesn't care. What Camping World dealer did you buy from?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I feel really bad for you.....You're at that stage in life when you want to enjoy it, travel and enjoy that new trailer, which seems has turned into a mechanical nightmare. I only hope you can find a better repair facility, get it fixed, and get to having fun like the rest of us. Thank your husband for all his years of service.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with your camper and sorry Keystone and your dealership is being difficult. There's not much you can do about that.

Please do not take this the wrong way. I'm not being mean-spirited, but truly share this out of love and respect for you and yours. I am also a veteran (Army). I did not spend 30 years in military service, but I do come from a long line of military family, including my father, all of his brothers, my sister AND her husband, my wife's father and all my wife's brothers, my own daughter and her husband, a large number of my cousins, and a large number of my wife's cousins, nieces and nephews. Between all of them, my family has served in every branch of the military, including the Coast Guard (but not the new Space Force ... not yet anyway). So, what I am going to say next is harsh reality, and it is just the way it is.

The bottom line is ... your military service really means nothing to the average Joe-on-the-street. Being a Colonel, or a Private, a Rear Admiral or a "swabbie" doesn't matter, and does not relate to people who have no association with the military. This is a dog-eat-dog world. And when anyone starts throwing their weight around, especially EX-military who expect the civilian world to snap their fingers at your demands, because in the military you COULD do this, you are going to get the cold shoulder, turn people off, and they will just consider you a rude SOB. I've seen it happen over and over and over again to EX military. I've seen it happen with my family. I've seen it happen to many of my EX military friends.

The harder you press your military carrier, the harder you'll be pressed back. I'm sorry, this is just the way it is. The only thing that works in civilian life, is honey and money! (If you know what I mean). Civilians just don't understand the military system. Honey and Money is what makes things work. You have no more "rank" once you are civilian, unless you get deep into politics.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #10
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Sorry to hear of your trouble I’m a army veteran and like a lot of us Montana owners. You need to keep on your dealer make sure they are telling Montana everything. Make sure when you call Montana customer service take notes on what you tell them and who your talking to. Take photos to send into Montana . Send a letter certified so you have proof to dealer and factory. Cover your efforts.
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Speaking as a vet, our service has no bearing on the subject. With that being said, a career as a veteran should be experience enough to know how to get things done. Whether pressuring a manufacturer to do the right thing or fixing things yourself. You have accomplished bigger things than getting a camper in operational order.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:48 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I am retired Army, the only thing I think that entitles me to is my retirement check. I have always been able to get warranty work done. I fix the rest myself often with help or advice from fellow campers. I certainly understand your frustrations with a new rig.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #13
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I retired from the Army in the 90's so I've had a long time to get back into civilian life. Its definitely a real thing.

My takeaway is this is a person who isn't a kid with no real life experiences or has had everything handed to them. This is a person who has spent 30 years in the military with all that entails..... and warranty repairs with Keystone RV have created this kind of frustration.....

If I were in their shoes I'd document everything to the letter. I'd take notes with every phone call including date, time, who I talked to, how long I talked to them, and the what was said. I'd take pictures. I'd hard copy every single email. I'd mail certified letters. If all that failed I'd have it repaired out of pocket and get my money back in court.

But I'm 99.9% sure it would never go that far because if they cheap out $20.00 on hydraulic motor circuit breakers (a known issue). They sure as hell wouldn't want to pay full price (without benefit of negotiated warranty price) for repairs to my rig.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:28 PM   #14
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
I am retired Army, the only thing I think that entitles me to is my retirement check. I have always been able to get warranty work done. I fix the rest myself often with help or advice from fellow campers. I certainly understand your frustrations with a new rig.
I just reread my post. My apologies if it came across as abrasive but that certainly was not the intent. I agree with what you are entitled to but I would add one thing to that, respect.

When dealing with warranty work it depends on the dealer to be willing and how they present the issue to Keystone. Beyond that, those with the skills to do repairs are the fortunate ones. Should we have to do our own warranty work? No. Do we end up with a better result if we do? I would say yes.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I just reread my post. My apologies if it came across as abrasive but that certainly was not the intent. I agree with what you are entitled to but I would add one thing to that, respect.

When dealing with warranty work it depends on the dealer to be willing and how they present the issue to Keystone. Beyond that, those with the skills to do repairs are the fortunate ones. Should we have to do our own warranty work? No. Do we end up with a better result if we do? I would say yes.
No apologies necessary!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Just curious. I reached out to the OP without a response via PM. Their first post was this. No contact since, no replies.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:12 AM   #17
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Sam reached out to them. Sure hope he is helping them???
Old 03-31-2021, 01:19 PM   #18
Vicky
Established Member

M.O.C. #25459
Sconces won't work

Not quite sure I am doing this right. We have a 2010 3665RE Montana that we live in full time. We really love it and live on the Rogue river in Oregon. About a month ago the bulbs in the rear wall sconces went out. We found bulbs that fit, put them and can't seem to make them work again. These are the lights that run on the batteries. Any suggestions?
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:00 PM   #19
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
It looks like Sam replied quickly to the OPs issues. I'm sure he will help if gets the requested info. Thank you Sam!
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDunnick View Post
HEY KEYSTONE!!!
You have not only given us a terrible product but terrible customer service.
You have taken advantage of a customer, a 30 yr Army Veteran and a dream.
FIX MY CAMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, thank you for your service from an Air Force vet. You need to DOCUMENT all of your issues with good photos. Also document them in WRITING to your DEALER with photos, and have them all dated. Your dealer must submit the claim to Keystone first. By documenting your issues including dated communications, you have coverage for your warranty since it has not yet expired. Should your warranty expire while still trying to get repairs done, they should still be covered because they were submitted before your warranty expired. Get your dealer service advisor Email, so you can email conformations of telephone conversations and have a documented trail of communications and what was discussed. NO HE SAID, SHE SAID CRAP. You have it documented. The fault is probably your dealer more than Keystone. Don't let the dealer slide, stay on them like white on rice. BE SURE TO FOLLOW UP YOURSELF. Don't assume anything. You can even contact Keystone customer service to make sure the dealer had contacted Keystone about your issues. I can’t see Keystone turning this down, but if they do it may be your dealer not communicating properly. You can contact them later and discuss your claim after the dealer submits your claim. So sorry you are having these issues. Hope this helps.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote