Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #121
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Interesting video. 40,000 lb. rated steel hitch towing about half that weight, and it was a single weld that failed. Glad nobody got hurt and it was at slow speeds. Looked like a gorgeous trailer and truck.
That doesn’t appear to be a weld that failed. Looks like the holes that would have a large pin thru them for side to side rocking pulled thru the bottom of the holes. The bottom of the holes is not where normal wear would occur. But there would likely be a force pulling upward on the pin (and bottom of the hole) on a stop.

It failed on a slow controlled stop.

Edit: googling found some interesting info. Apparently that is a known issue with those hitches. On starts and stops the pin “slaps” the top and bottom of the holes, eventually elongating them. And in this case pulled the bottom of the holes out!

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #122
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
I use the Andersen hitch and since this looks like a thread with a lot of Andersen users I have a question.my hitch doesn’t stay lined up on the bed. When I install it, it lines up with the ribs in the bed. But it always ends up twisted/cocked a couple inches.
My question is- is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? It may be nothing but I feel the need to ask.
Thanks for your opinions
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 PM   #123
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
I am not sure if Anderson still sells them, but my recollection is they sold plastic strips you mounted to the bottom of the Anderson base. They are thinner than the rib of the bed depth, and when screwed to the base fills some of the low part in the bed and will keep it from turning. Seemed like a good addition, and probably should have been a factory- included part located and installed by the truck owner as the low sections probably change depending on the truck.

I purchased the Ram bed rubber cover Matt, placed on my factory sprayed bedliner, and cut a hole where the goose ball mounts. The Anderson base grips the thick mat good enough to have never allowed the base to turn once properly torqued.

Allen
Old 04-19-2021, 11:21 PM   #124
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Brad if you were going to be in an accident, say someone pulled out in front of you traveling 50 mph which would you rather have in the bed of your truck, an Andersen or a B&W? I think I know the answer to that. None of us plan on having a wreck but some of us is going to.
Lynwood
Lynwood, in the above scenario the hitch is the last thing I would worry about.

I never got in an accident, but twice in my 30k miles with the AUH I had an "oh crap, pound the brakes scenario" when on interstate at about 70mph and coming around a corner or over a hill to stopped traffic. (SLC is especially a bad place to go through). I never thought about my hitch during those moments, and I never thought about it afterward.

If I actually were in an accident there would be insurance for a lot more than the hitch. And, unless there are ones out there that I'm missing, I have never heard of an AUH failure where someone was hurt, or there was major damage (like that which would have totaled a rig).

There are far more bent tailgates and box rails from forgetting to close the jaws on a traditional 5th wheel than those damaged by an AUH. I hate to admit my stupidity in public, but I forgot to close the pin on my AUH and went a couple hours before I stopped and thought to check it. No damage. I would have had an insurance claim within a few feet by making that same mistake with a traditional hitch.

I just honestly don't get how I would feel better just because I had a couple hundred extra pounds of steel in the bed.

But, YMMV and I think it does

Brad
Old 04-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #125
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Spohn View Post
I use the Andersen hitch and since this looks like a thread with a lot of Andersen users I have a question.my hitch doesn’t stay lined up on the bed. When I install it, it lines up with the ribs in the bed. But it always ends up twisted/cocked a couple inches.
My question is- is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? It may be nothing but I feel the need to ask.
Thanks for your opinions
Are you torquing the three bolts to spec and not just guessing?
Old 04-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #126
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Lynwood, in the above scenario the hitch is the last thing I would worry about.

I never got in an accident, but twice in my 30k miles with the AUH I had an "oh crap, pound the brakes scenario" when on interstate at about 70mph and coming around a corner or over a hill to stopped traffic. (SLC is especially a bad place to go through). I never thought about my hitch during those moments, and I never thought about it afterward.

If I actually were in an accident there would be insurance for a lot more than the hitch. And, unless there are ones out there that I'm missing, I have never heard of an AUH failure where someone was hurt, or there was major damage (like that which would have totaled a rig).

There are far more bent tailgates and box rails from forgetting to close the jaws on a traditional 5th wheel than those damaged by an AUH. I hate to admit my stupidity in public, but I forgot to close the pin on my AUH and went a couple hours before I stopped and thought to check it. No damage. I would have had an insurance claim within a few feet by making that same mistake with a traditional hitch.

I just honestly don't get how I would feel better just because I had a couple hundred extra pounds of steel in the bed.

But, YMMV and I think it does

Brad
I'm in no position to argue for or against the AUH other than saying it's not for me. We're full timers and I've seen more than I can count that seem to be working fine.

One of the things I like about our hitch (Ford branded 27.5K Reese) is the auto latch single jaw. You can hear it close with the windows up. The secondary safety of not being able to get the pin in unless it's fully latched is comforting too.

https://youtu.be/hrW7muWrykU?t=362
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #127
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Hey Rod, my AUH was also rotating in the bed first few times I used it, Anderson sells a rubber mat to put in bed under hitch, they also told me to torque top bolt to 70lbs, been fine since.
Dave
mudrockatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #128
N. Hall
Established Member

M.O.C. #26717
I contacted MorRyde about their pin box, they told me I had to install a new thicker plate for the Andersen 5th wheel connection to keep any warranty. I have the new thicker plate to install and I will, but someone needs to be responsible for their products should something fail.
N. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #129
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Is this the part you installed?

https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-Inter.../dp/B005F1N1D2

This is what I found on Morryde's website

Towing with a Gooseneck or Anderson Ultimate Hitch?
Want the jerk-free, chuck free towing that comes with a MORryde Rubber Pin Box? The good news is you can use a MORryde Pin Box by simply adding a heavy-duty skid plate to it. The skid plate can be easily installed, with no welding and will provide the added strength needed for gooseneck connections.
OPTIONS :
Pull Rite Adapter Plate RPB77-001
Gooseneck/Andersen Hitch Adapter Kit RPB77-006

I have already purchased a Curt conventional hitch to replace my Anderson, but it is interesting to learn there are modifications MORryde has manufactured that I haven't heard of.

And this doesn't fix the Keystone / frame warranty issues.....

Allen
Old 04-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #130
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
this thread takes me back to the early days of mountain bikes. chromoly steel vs AL. AL was light. chromoly would flex, AL would not. AL bike frames had a "life" to them. seems the tubing would crack and break over time due to the rigidity.. and this could be the source of the dreaded frame flex.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #131
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Spohn View Post
Thanks for your opinions
I have always used that heavy rubber mat that Anderson sells, and my base has never moved. Is your truck bed just paint or is it coated with Line-X? I could see if it's just smooth paint that the base could shift, but the Line-X grabs onto stuff.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #132
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Yea, I had the Line-X, and hitch still "rotated in the bed, got the rubber matt from Anderson, and torqued top bolt to 70 ft lbs, ok now.
mudrockatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:34 PM   #133
N. Hall
Established Member

M.O.C. #26717
New thicker plate for MorRyde pinbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post

Want the jerk-free, chuck free towing that comes with a MORryde Rubber Pin Box? The good news is you can use a MORryde Pin Box by simply adding a heavy-duty skid plate to it. The skid plate can be easily installed, with no welding and will provide the added strength needed for gooseneck connections.
OPTIONS :

I have already purchased a Curt conventional hitch to replace my Anderson, but it is interesting to learn there are modifications MORryde has manufactured that I haven't heard of.

Allen
Yes, that's what I ordered and will install in my 2015 Keystone Montana 3850FL. I have a 2018 F350 with the 6.75 ft bed, I had a B&W which I used in a 2012 F250. B&W wouldn't work in my 2018 with the puck system in my bed and the camper couldn't turn a sharp turn without hitting my cab. The Anderson hitch seemed to be the best answer for giving me more clearance when turning.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #134
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post

OPTIONS :

Allen
Yes, that is the correct part #. In post #89 on this thread, I sent a link to the Anderson compatibility chart; same part referenced there.

I agree; that still likely won't be enough to satisfy Keystone/Lippert if there was a frame issue.
I've decided to (reluctantly) move on also.

Brad
Old 04-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #135
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Hall View Post
Yes, that's what I ordered and will install in my 2015 Keystone Montana 3850FL. I have a 2018 F350 with the 6.75 ft bed, I had a B&W which I used in a 2012 F250. B&W wouldn't work in my 2018 with the puck system in my bed and the camper couldn't turn a sharp turn without hitting my cab. The Anderson hitch seemed to be the best answer for giving me more clearance when turning.
Did you set the hitch head to a rearward position?
Old 04-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #136
N. Hall
Established Member

M.O.C. #26717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Did you set the hitch head to a rearward position?
Yes I did, but my 2012 didn't have the Ford puck system. I had to buy the flip over B&M system and hitch, the one with the square post to lock the hitch into the bed. I ordered the new base for the puck system in my 2018 Ford, but after install I am a few inches closer to the cab of my truck. That's why I bought the Andersen system, heard and read a lot of good reviews on it. It also gave me plenty of space.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #137
Salineriverman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29050
Hitch failures

If we are all honest we could all agree that almost if not all brands of hitches have had some failures.
If Anderson was having a lot of failures they would have already been out of business due to poor quality. I am sure they have some of the best design engineers test their designs before marketing them? No one shares trade secrets on designs!!
I am old enough to remember when Browning was all steel receivers on their BAR's. The finest semi ever made , then they made the move to a lite weight reciever, lots of folks were skeptical but most loyal Browning owners knew Browning would not put out a product that was not tested.
I have owned numerous BAR's through the years and all were fine and accurate.
My point being until you have owned and used a product let's not slam it. If I had it to do over would I have bought an Anderson hitch knowing what Lippert would do on the warranty ? Probably not , but I also probably would've done other things differently knowing what I know now. There are a lot of great hitches and RV's out there! Just research and buy what's best for you and your family. For now I will keep my AUH because I do believe it is safe and one of the best for short bed trucks.
Salineriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #138
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salineriverman View Post
If we are all honest we could all agree that almost if not all brands of hitches have had some failures.
If Anderson was having a lot of failures they would have already been out of business due to poor quality. I am sure they have some of the best design engineers test their designs before marketing them? No one shares trade secrets on designs!!
I am old enough to remember when Browning was all steel receivers on their BAR's. The finest semi ever made , then they made the move to a lite weight reciever, lots of folks were skeptical but most loyal Browning owners knew Browning would not put out a product that was not tested.
I have owned numerous BAR's through the years and all were fine and accurate.
My point being until you have owned and used a product let's not slam it. If I had it to do over would I have bought an Anderson hitch knowing what Lippert would do on the warranty ? Probably not , but I also probably would've done other things differently knowing what I know now. There are a lot of great hitches and RV's out there! Just research and buy what's best for you and your family. For now I will keep my AUH because I do believe it is safe and one of the best for short bed trucks.

Well said, thanks!
Brad
Old 07-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #139
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Before we bought a 5th wheel I did some research and at that time Anderson had videos online of them testing to failure several ways. I haven't been able to find them lately but the result was something like the tung weight of of 10 trailers to failure.
I did a quick search on failures and see the same 5 or 6 failures over and over again but nothing about any lawsuits.

Found this, get through the propaganda at 5:30 for the test.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #140
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I saw the test Andersen had on video. That is all fine and dandy but vertical is not the main stress a camper puts on a hitch it’s horizontal. Andersen didn’t show that. Wonder why? I’ll bet they did that test.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote