Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
Wmass camper
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Holyoke
Posts: 27
M.O.C. #23350
RV Tire pressure

The tire and loading chart on the MHC RV, states “the weight load of cargo is not to exceed 2900 pounds at a tire pressure of 95 psi”. We have new Sailun tires ST235/80R16 load index 129, the weight rating on the tire has a maximum load of 4080 pounds at 110 psi. If I do not exceed 2900 lbs of cargo weight, can I inflate the tires to only 95 psi per the RV placard or do I inflate the tires to the psi rating on the Sailun tire at 110 psi?
__________________
Randy/Debbie
2018 MHC 330RL
2019 Ford F250, 4.30 axle ratio,
Ext cab, 6.2L, gas
Wmass camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 6,027
M.O.C. #2283
This question comes up often. The higher the tire pressure the more weight it can carry and the cooler it will run. So there is not much reason not to run your tires at anything but near max pressure which for your tires is 110 pound. The exception to that will be if you have 80 pound rims. Your rims max pressure should be stamped on the inside of the wheel on one of the spokes.
Lynwood
__________________
www.harrellsprec.com
Lynwood Harrell
323 RL HC 2008 F250
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 20,201
M.O.C. #2839
We have always been told at the seminars at the fall rally to inflate the tires to the stated specs on the tire.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team
 
DQDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilsey
Posts: 18,003
M.O.C. #11455
We have always inflated our tires to within a couple of pounds of the recommended max.
__________________
Dick, Joyce, Diego, Picatso and Gustav
2017 3720 RL, and 2013 HC 343RL
2017 3500 Dodge Maxi DRW 4X4, Pullrite Hitch, IS, Disk Brakes, 3rd AC, Winegard Traveler, Bathroom door mod, Dometic 320, couch for desk swap, etc.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
CalandLinda
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Taylors
Posts: 458
M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmass camper View Post
The tire and loading chart on the MHC RV, states “the weight load of cargo is not to exceed 2900 pounds at a tire pressure of 95 psi”. We have new Sailun tires ST235/80R16 load index 129, the weight rating on the tire has a maximum load of 4080 pounds at 110 psi. If I do not exceed 2900 lbs of cargo weight, can I inflate the tires to only 95 psi per the RV placard or do I inflate the tires to the psi rating on the Sailun tire at 110 psi?
The answer to you inflation question is found in your decision to use replacement tires with load capacity reserves that exceed the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation.

The correct inflation pressure for your old tires was 95 PSI. That, combined with a load inflation chart for tire size designation ST235/80R16 LRF provides a tire load capacity the vehicle manufacturer has deemed appropriate for your OE tires. By adding a tire with a higher load range letter (G) you have the option to increase your tire's load capacity reserves with increased inflation pressures all the way to 110 PSI which is the inflation pressure needed for the replacement tires to provide their maximum load capacity.

If you measure the load strength of your tires you will find that at 95 PSI both LRF & LRG provide an identical load capacity.

Although you may have added some extra tire durability by selecting the all steel cased LRG tires, it's not measurable. The only way to get extra load capacity protection is with increased inflation beyond 95 PSI.

The only load indicator used by the vehicle manufacturer in selection your OE tire size is the value of the trailer's certified GAWRs. It's a minimum governing body requirement.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,547
M.O.C. #14547
Do you actually have wheels that are rated for 110psig? A 330RL has usually had, at least in the not too distant past, 6 lug Sendel TO3 wheels with a 6K axle. Those wheels are rated at 94psig max with a normal operating inflation pressure of 80psig. If indeed you do have 110psig rated wheels, then no problem .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SailunLoad and Inflation All ST-Modified.pdf (92.6 KB, 15 views)
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
CalandLinda
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Taylors
Posts: 458
M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Do you actually have wheels that are rated for 110psig? A 330RL has usually had, at least in the not too distant past, 6 lug Sendel TO3 wheels with a 6K axle. Those wheels are rated at 94psig max with a normal operating inflation pressure of 80psig. If indeed you do have 110psig rated wheels, then no problem .
The vehicle manufacturer can not provide OE wheels that can't provide the max load capacity for the OE tires fitted to them. Therefore, the ST235/80R16 LRF tires and T03 wheels would be a mismatch.

At 110 PSI those LRG tires will feel like bricks when rolling along at 65 MPH on the OPs trailer. Reasonable load capacity reserves is good insurance. However, IMO, tires with a maximum load capacity of 4080# ea. are way overkill for 6000# axles.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team
 
AZ Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 2,564
M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Do you actually have wheels that are rated for 110psig? A 330RL has usually had, at least in the not too distant past, 6 lug Sendel TO3 wheels with a 6K axle. Those wheels are rated at 94psig max with a normal operating inflation pressure of 80psig. If indeed you do have 110psig rated wheels, then no problem .
Dave,

All the newer Montanas and HC have 110 PSI wheels.
__________________
Zack and Donna plus Millie and Ranger
2018 3160RL

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,547
M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
The vehicle manufacturer can not provide OE wheels that can't provide the max load capacity for the OE tires fitted to them. Therefore, the ST235/80R16 LRF tires and T03 wheels would be a mismatch.

At 110 PSI those LRG tires will feel like bricks when rolling along at 65 MPH on the OPs trailer. Reasonable load capacity reserves is good insurance. However, IMO, tires with a maximum load capacity of 4080# ea. are way overkill for 6000# axles.

I posed a question with some info to the OP since he did not include enough info. Your response icondescending to me - again!
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #10
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,547
M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Dave,

All the newer Montanas and HC have 110 PSI wheels.

I hope so but even the new, 2021 Keystone spec sheet states that a 330RL has 6K axles that normally take 6 lug wheels which are usually 80 psigrated. And the reason for my question to the OP
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
CalandLinda
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Taylors
Posts: 458
M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I posed a question with some info to the OP since he did not include enough info. Your response icondescending to me - again!
That's one of the major problems with two dimensional communications.

I had reviewed the OPs trailer specs. According to them the OE tires were ST235/80R16 LRF, max load, 3750#. SenDel 16x6 wheels have a max load of 3580#.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 5,069
M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
...I had reviewed the OPs trailer specs. According to them the OE tires were ST235/80R16 LRF, max load, 3750#. SenDel 16x6 wheels have a max load of 3580#...
The OP never said what tires or rims were installed. Speculation of Load Range "F" tires and T03 have not been verified. Maybe we can wait for the OP to respond before condemning tire/rim choice?
__________________
Carl (n Susan)
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master
 
rohrmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 3,552
M.O.C. #12947
It looks like the 6,000 axles used on the High Country, 2020 and 2021, maybe earlier too, are coming with 8 lug drums for the 8 lug wheels. https://www.trekwood.com/products/13...-E-Self-Adjust
So, It is likely that the same wheels used on the Montana line are also used on the High Country line.
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC 4WD
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #14
CalandLinda
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Taylors
Posts: 458
M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The OP never said what tires or rims were installed. Speculation of Load Range "F" tires and T03 have not been verified. Maybe we can wait for the OP to respond before condemning tire/rim choice?
In post #1 the OP said his trailer's tire placard recommendation was for 95 PSI. That coincides with the specs for that trailer having LRF tires.

The part about T03 wheels was because someone else suggested that they may be the OEM wheel size. I was just pointing out that that particular wheel could not have been used as OEM because it doesn't have the load capacity to support the load capacity of a LRF tire.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×