Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #21
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
I proved it in court. I took 50 picture of the old seals , dry bearing on each wheel and each step. They count rove they did anything.. I got my money back.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #22
Mike_Garcia
Established Member

M.O.C. #13381
Send a message via MSN to Mike_Garcia
I always get my seals at NAPA. Never had a problem getting the exact correct seal and no shipping/waiting. Every town has a NAPA, don't you?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #23
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
So when should you have them repacked, millage, time? Have a 2020 with disks.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #24
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
So when should you have them repacked, millage, time? Have a 2020 with disks.
With disks, every other year should work. For those with drums, once a year to look at brakes.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Every time I see what RV dealers charge per hour and for a simple job like wheel bearing service, it almost convinces me that I should have gone into the RV service business instead of working for a living.

- Seals - ~10 bucks for a set of four unbranded that have proved to be as good as the over priced and completely identical Chinese made Dexter's
- Pound can of grease ~10 bucks or ~6 bucks/tube if I use the bearing packer.
- Roll of paper towels about a buck and a ha;f
- 8 to 12 Harbor Freight nitrile gloves 50 cents

This all totals to about $22 or so

Time - I'm retired, but even jacking the 5er up (no self leveilng), plus cleaning the tires and wheels, getting out then cleaning and replacing tools, maybe 2 to 3 hours if coffee breaks don't interfere too much.

I do understand that some folks just do not have the physical ability to do this job. I just don't like the time frames RV service places hint at to often do a half a@#$ job either. Luckily, I still can and my savings adds up to a few nights camping or several diesel fuel fill ups.

I do like the idea of hiring a neighbor teen (if you can tear him away from his phone) and teaching him how to do this mundane job. A few bucks pay will be even more enticing.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #26
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I just finished doing mine. It took 4.5 hours plus another hour or so to get the parts. Hardest part by far is handling the tires - those sailuns weigh a ton and are not easy to take off or put on.

Like many others I would not mind paying to get it done but want it done right.

I compared the dollar value between 1970 and today. If your were paying $20 an hour for labor in 1970 it would be $132 an hour today. Prices are not unreasonable - a lot of us are showing our age.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #27
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Mine was 200, they helped me out new bearings since it was already jacked up while they were working on correcting the alignment. They probably felt sorry for me lol. Even cleaned and adjusted the brakes that weee not correct....ugh this new fixer upper...
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #28
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
For me, the wife always reminds me to figure in the cost of the hospital visit before I take a job on.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #29
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnracin View Post
Speaking of wheel bearings and seals, where can I find what seals I need for our 2011 3400RL with Dexter 7k axles before removing the wheel? I don't have room at home to work on it, so I need to be as expeditious as possible when I start the work in our storage area. Thanks!

If you go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/274058692984546/ the Montana Owners Facebook group there's a guy on there by the name of Richard Raeder who is the Dexter rep for Keystone sales. You can PM him or ask in the group. Take a picture of your axle tag or the serial number if the axle tag is missing. He can give you all the information you need on your axles. He was very helpful to me.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:09 AM   #30
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
For me, the wife always reminds me to figure in the cost of the hospital visit before I take a job on.
You obviously married a wise woman!
Old 04-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #31
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I know, an oldie thread, but why start a new one
Just 'enjoyed a session elbow deep in grease yesterday. I have a new favorite grease and that being Valvoline Moly-Fortified Gray Full Synthetic Grease 1 LB NLGI #2 GC-LB lithium complex EP grease. Super greasy - tacky and my tools were a bear to clean. The spec meets Timken as well as Dexter's. I had been using Mystic JT6 #2 lithium complex but the last time I did the bearings, a glob on my bench it started separating which was not to my liking. I will say the bearings were fine but this time, not a lot of miles (~3K) just 2 years.

Now, as soon as it stops raining and snowing, I'll get the disc brakes replumbed and the 5er off the cribbing and jacks. The weather in Upstate NY can be interesting as it was in the mid 70s over the weekend. and now, maybe 38 and down into the 20s tonight.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #32
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I know, an oldie thread, but why start a new one
Just 'enjoyed a session elbow deep in grease yesterday. I have a new favorite grease and that being Valvoline Moly-Fortified Gray Full Synthetic Grease 1 LB NLGI #2 GC-LB lithium complex EP grease. Super greasy - tacky and my tools were a bear to clean. The spec meets Timken as well as Dexter's. I had been using Mystic JT6 #2 lithium complex but the last time I did the bearings, a glob on my bench it started separating which was not to my liking. I will say the bearings were fine but this time, not a lot of miles (~3K) just 2 years.

Now, as soon as it stops raining and snowing, I'll get the disc brakes replumbed and the 5er off the cribbing and jacks. The weather in Upstate NY can be interesting as it was in the mid 70s over the weekend. and now, maybe 38 and down into the 20s tonight.
I've been using the Mystic as well and noticed the separation. I'll give the one you mention a shot. Thanks for the heads up on it. We're in upstate NY...for now, and the weather is crappy today.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #33
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
I've been using the Mystic as well and noticed the separation. I'll give the one you mention a shot. Thanks for the heads up on it. We're in upstate NY...for now, and the weather is crappy today.

I've been using the Mystic over the past 20 years and several TTs and 5ers. Don't know what happened to the product but soupy bearing grease just seems wrong.
NAPA usually has Valvoline products but AMAZON is a bit less money.

We didn't get as much snow as predicted - 1/2 inch or so, but at 33F now - too chilly for Apr 21.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #34
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Bearing Maintenance

Heading to the family farm in upstate NY next week and just completed my annual bearing maintenance along with everything that we all do in prepping for a trip. Anyway, can someone explain why the RV/trailer industry hasn't converted to using sealed bearings like the auto industry did many years ago? I've read most of the posts on this subject and not once have I seen the mention of sealed bearings so I'm assuming that there's some reason other than cost. Thanks
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #35
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecker1 View Post
Heading to the family farm in upstate NY next week and just completed my annual bearing maintenance along with everything that we all do in prepping for a trip. Anyway, can someone explain why the RV/trailer industry hasn't converted to using sealed bearings like the auto industry did many years ago? I've read most of the posts on this subject and not once have I seen the mention of sealed bearings so I'm assuming that there's some reason other than cost. Thanks

They did and it became a complete mess, using too small bearing capsules. Dexter brand name was Nevr Lube and they came in 42 and 50mm sizes depending on axle capacity. Been there and an $800 bill convinced me that the conventional bearings were well worth getting dirty every other year or 12K miles was better.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #36
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
For $275.00 my alignment shop, services all four wheel bearings, lubes all zerk fittings, checks all axle bolts, like the U-Bolts, checks inflation to 110lbs. I gets this done every 2 years.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote