Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
sherlosttravelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #25447
Keystone or lack there of quality control

Not sure but i think i got a lemon .
Took out our new 295rl on maiden voyage.
Rain storm. Found water in my pass through and maybe the latch might not be closed tight. So now while camping we got 2 rain showers and guess what, yep 1/8 inch of water in pass though both times . I made sure the latches were latched tight & checked for water line leaks (nope none). So i crawled in & had my wife spray water on and around doors on pass though & yep leaking like sive.
Went and added extra foam door sealer gasket and no more leakage so far.
Now while i had time to look at the trailer i noticed both led marker lights on each corner were not pushed in all the way and not straight in the holes. (picture).
And early this spring noticed 2 pieces of underlayment on roof that is lose on the corners
you can take your hand and push them down about 1/8 inch to get them level with the other sheet of underlayment.
And other little problems that i already fixed.
Not to happy right now.
Were is the so called quality control?
They should have found a few of these on final inspection!!! Especially the front cap clearance lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200527_083535.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	6410  

Old 05-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Brian,

I am not aware of any RV manufacturer know for their high quality. Sounds like your issues so far are pretty minor. It is good that you can figure out how to work on them yourself.

With most rigs you spend a few months sorting out the bugs then the problems go down.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
sherlosttravelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #25447
I dont expect residental quality but i do expect quality control to find some of the things that are obvious . And if people think i should of looked it over on delivery inspection better . Well the guy doing walk through with us was not only in a hurry and being constantly interrupted. But i knew more about this rv then he did. Before i buy anything i research the hell out of things. And this isn't my first rodeo purchasing a rv. And my experiance with owning and running automotive shops & machining companys in past with my family i learned alittle about quality control. Nobody or company is perfect including me! But in this case final quality control was either asleep or blind.
So i might be angery right now because of this because of damage to some personal items in pass through leak.
Most of theses things should have been found no excuses.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
sherlosttravelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #25447
Don't get me wrong.
I think my 5th wheel is a nice trailer and over all build is well done for a rv. Travels well down the road and most in part rv quality in whole is good for a mass produced unit.
My point is, keystone needs to look at there final quality control better. Thats my point.
I am not trying to put down the total product and company.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Welcome to the club. I replaced all my seals with higher quality seals because of water. Even found water inside the tv compartment. Replaced them all no more issues. Spent several thousand dollars fixing the alignment issues on the trailer, that includes 4 new tires and bearings. That was by far the most expensive fix and of course keystone never got back with me or trailer life magazine. They don’t care.... at least in my case. I think so far you’re pretty lucky !! Could be worse.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you can fix it yourself, fix it. That with be easier with less headache then fooling with the dealer or Montana. You are right this shouldn’t happen IF they had quality control. Did you notice that was a big if. Quality is a big issue on this forum.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quality is a hyper common complaint across all of the mid cost options. To get away from it their are two choices (lower expectations / spend allot more); neither are fool proof solutions.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
sherlosttravelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #25447
Ya my tv and satellite receiver unboxed
Got sprayed on with the heavy rain. Ya fixing what i can myself.
Dealer says call and set up oppointment could be months though. Don't know if or how much rain got in behind my lights on front cap from the clearance lights though.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Keystone and most of the other RV Manufacturers could all do quite a lot better on QC, they are more concerned about profits. They seem to think that their Dealerships should do the QC for them after delivery. There are some pretty good lists on here that people should use when they are going through their new unit PDI at the dealership. It also helps to get issues fixed before you sign on the line as they want their money and your unit gone.
Only real time that Keystone called me back concerning crappy workmanship was after I called complaining about my unit almost burning down do to loose wire nuts in the junction box from the Onan generator. Unfortunately as with most RV issues it is easier in the long run to fix it yourself so you know that the work has been done properly. It saves a lot of trips to the dealership with your unit and countless phone calls. It is not right but it is the way it is.

Tom Marty
Old 05-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
There are some pretty good lists on here that people should use when they are going through their new unit PDI at the dealership. It also helps to get issues fixed before you sign on the line as they want their money and your unit gone.

Tom Marty
They made me sign before the inspection, lesson learned !
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #11
KJDP2448
Established Member

M.O.C. #26086
I have a 2019 380th. All seal on outside compartments leak. Had to put towels to dry water coming in. Had heater go out first time out. T.v. wires smashed. Had to replace. Refrigerator panel come off front. Awning no going out. Have two one works. Propane line going to tank to short. Bent cutting off gas. Bed in back above toy hauler garage not going up and down. There is about 10 or so problems that i am slow trying to fix. Cables for outside t.v. not working. Lights over sink dime when you turn vent fan on. Right now i think i have few more problems but can't think of them right now. For what you pay for these rvs you think things would be a later better. I understand that you are going to have few problems. Dealer and manufacturer save just bring it in. That not that easy. Then they have it for 1-2 months. Right now i just need to take a brake or I'm going to loose it at the dealer. Lol
KJDP2448 is offline   Reply With Quote