Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2024, 06:35 PM   #1
ontheroad10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17252
What could this be?

I wonder if anybody has had this experience. I recently had my toilet replaced and some vents also repaired. No problem when I take the rig out for a couple of weeks.

Problem is at least 3 times, after storing the rig, I come to find the toilet is full of sewage that I can't explain. I finally called the shop and asked if they could explain it. They say they have never heard of anything like this. I plan on taking it out this week, but the problem doesn't occur until I store it.

Can't understand how pressure can build up for an upward flow from the black water tank, but there is evidence on the toilet lid that something shot upward.

Any ideas?

ontheroad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:08 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Ron,

Are you dumping the black tank before storing?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:14 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Is someone camping in your unit while in storage?? or at least making use of the toilet??
Old 01-03-2024, 05:43 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Could the black tank vent be blocked somehow?
Try running a water hose down the vent stack and make sure it flows out the black tank drain.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:35 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I can’t think of any way sewage from the black tank, even under pressure, could get up into the toilet without someone opening the flush valve.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 05:56 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Let's get some things cleared up?

First: When you put the camper in storage, are the tanks all emptied out?

Second: When you put the camper in storage, is the fresh water tank empty too?

Third: When you put the camper in storage, are you hooked up to a sewer system? Are hoses actually, physically connected from the trailer to the sewer outlet?

Fourth: When your camper is in storage, is your water pump left turned on?

Fifth: When your camper is in storage, is your camper plugged into shore power or completely unplugged.

Sixth: When your camper is in storage, are your doors locked?

Seventh: ..... when your camper is NOT in storage, does the toilet work correctly for your.

(personally, if all the answers are correct, it sounds like someone is able to get inside your camper and is using it. )

With that said, when your camper is in storage, is there anything else tampered with inside the camper, like a bed messed up, or food items missing, or something out of place?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:22 PM   #7
ontheroad10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17252
Thank you all for your responses.

To answer some obvious questions, our rig is parked in a gated, commercial storage facility with security and cameras. To my knowledge there have been no break ins and I am pretty certain my rig would not be the first one to get vandalized.

I usually empty my black and gray water tanks before storage, however I probably have about a quarter tank of fresh water stored.

It is not connected to power or water and the pump is off.

The doors are always locked and there is no evidence of any visitors inside. The slides are all closed and the bed is covered with miscellaneous travel stuff that has not been moved.

As I have said, the problem only occurs when the rig sits for some time. When we take it out, we experience no problem. Somehow pressure must build up. I plan on taking it back to the shop soon to have the vents rechecked. But besides that I am bewildered
ontheroad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 11:23 AM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
We experience this time to time. Typically in the summer months when it's hot. The water in the blank tank evaporates and we get the odor. I'm sure there is a faulty seal somewhere. I add 3 gallons of water and a couple pods and the odor goes away.
Old 01-14-2024, 01:23 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad10 View Post

Problem is at least 3 times, after storing the rig, I come to find the toilet is full of sewage that I can't explain....

Any ideas?
Just for clarity again .... are you saying you have sewage inside the bowl of the toilet after the camper sits in storage for some time? You are NOT talking about "stuff" in your holding tank ... you are saying "stuff" appears in the toilet bowl?

If so .... yikes! That's a new one. Someone has to be getting in and using it then.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote