Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
**Another One Bites The Dust!**

Will be going out this weekend and when hooking the truck up I found this. I noticed it after I removed the wheel chocks. I had planned on the purchase of tires in the spring of next year but this has moved it up until “Today.” I only had 3 more local trips planned and I felt confident that I could make it through until spring without any problems. Thanks to the Mission tires those plans have now changed.

Here's another photo. I decided not to take a chance on driving to the tire shop even for only 3 miles.

On Edit: This occurred while sitting in the driveway and when I checked the pressure it had about 70 psi in it. I usually keep them at 80psi.

On Edit: Photo Links Changed

Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, that looks familiar. I was on a trip once and noticed one of my Missions was doing this. When I got to my destination, I had a local dealer replace all my tires (turned this one into an expensive trip), and the tire dealer did this while the trailer was set up onsite and in cooperation with the campground via a business relationship to provide convenience to RVers. Lucky me, huh?

My problem is I opted for Goodyear Marathons as the replacement which was a quality tire of choice back then, until I learned afterwards that Goodyear had shipped their manufacturing of this tire to China, and now they are on the China bomb list and I now have them, and not the U.S. made ones. I didn't learn this until after I bought the tires. So far so good and I examine them and check their inflation all the time since the trailer is parked at my house.

I hope you have better luck than what I did. Let us know what tires you get as a replacement.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’ll be putting on Firestone Transforce. I’m going with the 235 /85 R16’s. The unit calls for 80R16’s but the dealer said it was a better tire.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good choice on the tires, Bill! Also good choice on not trying to be mobile with that tire. Always better safe than sorry.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Good move, Bill. Glad you cought it when you did.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Some body is watching over you. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I purchased 5 new tires Friday. The other tires didn’t look right either; at least one other tire looked as though it was pushing out all around the middle of it on the tread. Those missions were about 5 years old with the exception of the spare. I believe I placed it on the road for the first time because when they took it in it still had the blue & red marks that were marked on the tread of it. However, it was made in 1999. Not sure how it got on the coach but I hope that Keystone didn’t put it on there when it was new. The men working at the tire dealership told me they were all about ready to blow. The dealership also worked with me and hand torque all the rims when they put them on. Told them I’d be back.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
JacknBetsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7632
Same story here. We have replaced 3 of 4 Goodyear Marathon tires within a year. All three separated like the original poster's. I'm beginning to think the weight of the trailer is too much for these tires.....and they all come from China.
JacknBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote