Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Now the black water tank..

Have the slide fixed I believe.. Problem was the Large bolt that held the Ram under the belly was nearly off... Now, The Black water tank. Have the underbelly remove, also removed the cargo area seperator to get to the tank conduits.. One is 3 inch coming from the commode, the other is a 2 inch vent tube. Removed the shut off valve attached to the cable that drains the tank.. Flushed the tank out 5 times to remove any gross stuff.. So far clear water came out when I removed the valve.. Now, there are 3 sensor wires, and a white ground wire held on by 7/16 inch double nuts.. Two more wires that attach to the heating pad that prevents the tank from freezing. Next will be the flush out hose then the Pipes will be cut... There are two bolts on each side the the rail that holds the tank up.. I believe there is about a 6 inch separation where the tank was glued together.. Let you all know what I find...

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Are you able to replace it with the one piece tank the newer rigs have or do you have to use another two piece?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Are you able to replace it with the one piece tank the newer rigs have or do you have to use another two piece?
I appears to have split from where the flange is ... Top of tank almost the entire side...
Old 08-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Don't forget to take LOTS of pictures please.
I'm sure one day I will be doing that too.
TIA
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
TIA
I have been taking pics... The holding tank is 70 long by 28.5 wide and 8 deep.. The entire top is level with the flange that holds the tank up.. It has a long crack where the two parts came together to make the tank... Don't know if I can fix this...
Old 08-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I am not using an abs coupling to put the pipes together... rather Im using the rubber coupler with hose clamps... This way, I don't need to cut it again if that time comes..
Old 08-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Yes, the older tanks were 2 parts, a tub and a lid glued to it. The new tanks are all one piece. No seams. I think you will be better off getting a new tank rather than trying to fix that one.
I would also recommend adding a few straps to support it from underneath. I understand previously they let it hang from the lip around the edge. This was not approved or recommended by the tank manufacturer.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Yes, the older tanks were 2 parts, a tub and a lid glued to it. The new tanks are all one piece. No seams. I think you will be better off getting a new tank rather than trying to fix that one.
I would also recommend adding a few straps to support it from underneath. I understand previously they let it hang from the lip around the edge. This was not approved or recommended by the tank manufacturer.
Do you know where I can get one of these new ones? thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Trekwood parts

https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword

This link is for my year/model. You will need to re do the search for yours.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #10
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Trekwood parts

https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword

This link is for my year/model. You will need to re do the search for yours.
Thank you! Price is Great.. However the lip where the tank rides on the rails may be too high.. I will call them today... Your help is appreciated..
Old 08-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #11
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Tank is out.. ameri-kart is the manufacturer. Get this. The top of the tank is glued!. The glue has come apart creating a 5 foot open split. I took it to a place where they do ‘spin welding”. However, ABS Cannot be-spin welded. They are going to try to use abs glue.. Tried to call AMERIKART no one has answered. There is no reason a holding tank should fail. Break, from an object, yes, but split no..
Old 08-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I strongly advise against fixing that tank. Few have, fewer with success. Replacing the tank with a new one of the same design is better but can only be done successfully with proper support under the tank. Double check the supports the tank hangs on. They must be tucked in close to the walls of the tank.

These tanks fail because Keystone did not install them according to the tank manufacturers recommendations. Plan A would be to replace both tanks with roto formed units. It would require minor modifications but it would be the last time you had to deal with this problem.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
TIA
You may be able to avoid this pain all together if you added support under the tanks. There are pics of such modifications if you search this forum. Or if you are lucky, you have the roto formed tanks and are good. A visual inspection would reveal which ones you have. Bracing for these tanks is a good idea but not as critical as the glued tanks.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I think that most tank failures are user error related. I have read lots of posts were folks let them fill until they back up into a sink/shower etc. Think about that, you have filled the tank beyond its capacity.

I think another common issue is traveling with waste in the tanks. Traveling with a tank, say 1/2 full would allow the waste to slush all around beating the tank apart.

Just my .02 cents
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #15
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
You may be able to avoid this pain all together if you added support under the tanks. There are pics of such modifications if you search this forum. Or if you are lucky, you have the roto formed tanks and are good. A visual inspection would reveal which ones you have. Bracing for these tanks is a good idea but not as critical as the glued tanks.
I have a 2019, so I should have the roto formed one piece tanks. I know one day I will have to take the coroplast off for something. At that time I will do all the upgrades. I have a long list already. That day may come sooner than later. I have noticed it is sagging down in the middle, A LOT.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #16
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Tank is out.. ameri-kart is the manufacturer. Get this. The top of the tank is glued!. The glue has come apart creating a 5 foot open split. I took it to a place where they do ‘spin welding”. However, ABS Cannot be-spin welded. They are going to try to use abs glue.. Tried to call AMERIKART no one has answered. There is no reason a holding tank should fail. Break, from an object, yes, but split no..
This is the tank we just installed in my friend's 2955RL from 2010. It is the identical one to the original. The OEM tank had a number on it and this is the same number. You might check out the website for other tanks if it is not the one for you. (the picture on the website is of the tank upside down.)

https://www.icondirect.com/holding-t...drain-ht543ed/
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #17
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I think that most tank failures are user error related. I have read lots of posts were folks let them fill until they back up into a sink/shower etc. Think about that, you have filled the tank beyond its capacity.

I think another common issue is traveling with waste in the tanks. Traveling with a tank, say 1/2 full would allow the waste to slush all around beating the tank apart.

Just my .02 cents
We fill our gas tanks in our cars and truck to the filler top.. They don't split apart... I have had others that when we left after dumping the tank id fill the tank til it was up to the toilet and drain again. My apologies for disagreeing but "user error" is not something I would believe. My opinion is that they are not well made.. Am I the only one with Black tank problem.. The tank is held in place by a longitudinal sliding rail.. Remove 4 bolts and the rail separates from he tank.. Yes, no Bottom support... there is another manufacturer who make the same dimensions as the one used. However. Instead of a Flat top flange it has a 3 inch lip/ . There is not enough room for the 3 inch tall lip since the present tank butts up against the bottom of the flooring.. So it looks like the Rail would need to be dropped 3 inches....
Old 08-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #18
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
This is the tank we just installed in my friend's 2955RL from 2010. It is the identical one to the original. The OEM tank had a number on it and this is the same number. You might check out the website for other tanks if it is not the one for you. (the picture on the website is of the tank upside down.)

https://www.icondirect.com/holding-t...drain-ht543ed/
thank you... this is the tank... I will contact the company...
Old 08-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
[QUOTE=beeje;1193022]I think that most tank failures are user error related. I have read lots of posts were folks let them fill until they back up into a sink/shower etc. Think about that, you have filled the tank beyond its capacity.

In this scenario the tank is filled to capacity. Yes, there is slightly more pressure on the tank but a couple extra gallons in the drain pipes is not what causes these type of failures. It is installing the tank improperly.

I don't mean to be "that guy" for going on about this issue, but I went through this on my buddies rig. He went through four tanks before getting it right. It just fires me up thinking about the fight with Keystone, the dealer, and extended warranty folks. All because they used cheap parts and poor installation, then tried to blame us for filling the tank over half way Just trying to be of help to others.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #20
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
[QUOTE=Montana Man;1193046]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post

In this scenario the tank is filled to capacity. Yes, there is slightly more pressure on the tank but a couple extra gallons in the drain pipes is not what causes these type of failures. It is installing the tank improperly.

I don't mean to be "that guy" for going on about this issue, but I went through this on my buddies rig. He went through four tanks before getting it right. It just fires me up thinking about the fight with Keystone, the dealer, and extended warranty folks. All because they used cheap parts and poor installation, then tried to blame us for filling the tank over half way Just trying to be of help to others.
They tried to blame you for filling it above half? I dont' see where it states only to fill the tank to one half.. The Brochure states it's a 50 gallon tank.. In reality it is a 48 gallon... So, would I get two I inch steel straps also??