Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Big Sky vs 3400 RL

In the MOC I see a lot more 3295's than other models. This is one of the models my wife and I like. But the other day, after reading RC and Samantha's post about their Big Sky, we went to see one. We found the quality and updates to be very desirable. When we asked the price the sales person didn't even stutter, just blurted out $54,000.00, and that is before taxes and hitch, etc. We didn't talk price right then, because we just wanted to get a ball park figure. I would like to know from any of your experiences, is the Big Sky really that expensive? We have not given up on the 3400, but I really want a garden tub, and the sales person flat out told us you can not have that in this unit. My question is, has any one found that to be true? We would be happy in either, but I'm kind of big and lanky, and the extra room would fit me better.

Thanks for any input. Ya'll stay safe. One day we will see you on the road.

Tom n Phyllis

Montana_1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
My sister and brother in law are RC & Samantha. I have the 3400RL, just got it a few months ago.

I don't know about the price, but the inside of theirs compared to ours is way nicer. Alot more wood than ours. I know what I paid for mine and if you compare the difference it's worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

I love mine alot, just would change a few things if I had ordered it versus buying it off the lot.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
When we were looking at the 3670RL the dealer told us you can add about $10,000. (CDN) for the Big Sky features. The upgrades (as far as we are concerned) are worth the money if you are planning on keeping your unit for a number of years. Otherwise, it might not be worth the extra. We live in our unit from Nov. - Apr. and we consider the upgraded quality worth the extra just for the wear and tear that the unit takes with the three of us for that length of time.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sue

My sister and brother in law are RC & Samantha. I have the 3400RL, just got it a few months ago.

I don't know about the price, but the inside of theirs compared to ours is way nicer. Alot more wood than ours. I know what I paid for mine and if you compare the difference it's worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

I love mine alot, just would change a few things if I had ordered it versus buying it off the lot.

Montana Sue:
This is an unrelated subject to the above issue, but would like some input from you on the bedroom window.

We, like you, have a model 3400rl and remember that you didn't like the fact that the bedroom window didn't have a screen to use to vent it. We don't like it either and noted that you or your sister had made a screen to fit it. We have looked it over and have come up with the idea that the most logical way to do this would be to make the screen to fit the outside frame, using a piece of screen material and attaching a elastic band to the screen and then slipping it over the windows outside frame. Is this what you and or your sister did or did you folks find a intirely different way to resolve this mattter? If so would you mind sharing your way and of course, is there any improvements that you would suggest?

Thanks for any and all help.

Gary & Carole (Michiganders also)
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Tom n Phyllis,

We ordered our 2003 3295RK (non-big sky) in May, 2002, taking delivery two years ago this month. We continue to be very happy with it. At that time the dealer told us the Big Sky option would add $7000 to the price. Now that I look back at the options we paid for that are standard on the BS, it would have cost us considerably less than the $7k to go with the BS. For example, we got the "Hi-Gloss Fiberglass Exterior" for $1475, along with some other options that would have been standard in the BS, so I understand. The list price shown for ours, including all options, was $49248. That was in May, 2002. If I recall, the BS would have been around $52k-53k at that time. That's list price. Keep in mind you should be able to get a large discount off that list price. 20% seems to be easy to get (we did, twice) but we're hearing members getting as much as 28% off list price. A little shopping around can pay off.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #6
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary

Montana Sue:

We, like you, have a model 3400rl and remember that you didn't like the fact that the bedroom window didn't have a screen to use to vent it. We don't like it either and noted that you or your sister had made a screen to fit it. did you folks find a intirely different way to resolve this mattter? If so would you mind sharing your way and of course, is there any improvements that you would suggest?

Thanks for any and all help.

Gary & Carole (Michiganders also)
Ahhhhhhhhhh, fellow air worshipers and from Michigan too. Of course I wouldn't mind sharing. I only wish my unit wasn't stored in Chicago, I would take a picture of it.

My talented sister cut out screen to fit the window. She sewed velcro to the outside of the screen. She then put the other side of the velcro, the sticky side to the frame of the actual window. She then took a thin wooden dowel (stole this from our tack trunk last minute) and cut slits every inch or so.

Along the bottom of the screen, in the middle we lifted the screen away from the velcro and pushed the dowel in there (we were gonna cut a little whole in the screen, but there really is no need) With the slits in the dowel you can adjust the opening of the window. The dowel is only like 1/4 around.

One trick I did learn that the more you latch it shut, you have to lift the screen up in order to reach the latches, and the sticky side of the velcro would come off from the frame. Mind you the latches are only up a few inches from the bottom so it's not like the entire velcro from the entire window would unstick. (The velcro would re-stick again, no problem) The window is heavy enough that I was comfortable leaving it unlatched when in the closed position so that I didn't have to disturb the sticky velcro any more than I had to. You couldn't tell from the outside that it wasn't latched when closed and that window is up so dang high that someone would need a ladder to get in. So, with the latches left alone (unlatched) you can leave the dowel in position and just open as much as you want or take the dowel all the way out and like I said the window is heavy enough it just appears totally shut and closed.

It really does work well. She was concerned that winds would get ahold of the window, but we went 2 weeks thru some rough weather and it never did. Even during rain storms I left it open and it never budged. The actual weight of the window being double paned I think helped.

Too bad that Keystone didn't put in the emergency screen as I have had in my Travel Trailer, or at least make it an option.

Hope I was descriptive enoguh to be of any help. Your idea is a good one, but wouldn't you have to assemble it every time you get to your desitination?????

Let me know if you need more help and also let us know what you do with yours.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
I want to thank everyone for their feedback on the Big Sky. Steve, yuou brought up a really good point. When I don't have to think about the extra's, the price does seem to come into focus more. Thanks for explaining it that way. It's just hoing to be Phyllis and I that are going to be traveling in the rig,so the 3295BS fits us just fine, plus we've always really liked it. The rear living room in the 3400 is really an eye catcher though, so we have a decision to make, don't we?

Again thanks to everyone for their replys. Stay safe out there.

Tom n Phyllis
Montana_1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:10 PM   #8
jimnkaran
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #43
Tom n Phyllis, it is true that you can not get the garden tub in the 3400rl. The brocures give you the impression that you can but when you go to order it you have to pay extra for the shower, even though it is the only option available. The shower is very small, not what we thought we were getting when we ordered ours.
jimnkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #9
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimnkaran
The shower is very small, not what we thought we were getting when we ordered ours.
We don't find ours small at all. I think this must be a personal preference thing.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:29 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We just got home from a 3 day break in trip in our 3685FL Big Sky. We love it. Never tripped over the shepard once
Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote