Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Planning Alaska for May 2010 Info Please

We are planning our Alaska trip right now. For you folks who have made this trip before I have a couple of general questions. Last year we took a 6000 mile loop from Wisconsin to Montana, down to Nevada, Grand Canyon and finally back home. It was my "baptism" for mountain and desert driving. I have had enough of both for a while.

What can expect regarding "mountain" driving with the typical routes to Alaska?

We are debating on whether or not to RV it or a "guided tour" (no driving). I think to get the soul of the country you need to drive it at our own pace.

Any comments or information will be very appreciated.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:09 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We did the trip in '08 and you can expect a lot of mountains to climb. It really should not be a problem for your truck, I would be sure that I started out with a new fuel filter installed (I even took a spare along),good tires both on the truck and the Montana, and an extra gallon of windshield washer fluid.

Be sure to slow down for the frost heaves and take along a copy of the Mile Post, it is a must have. Have a great trip.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894

We also spent the summer of '07 traveling from San Diego up through British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska.

The mountains are no worse than what you drove through on your trip to Nevada, except maybe the 'Top of the World' highway from Tok, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon. It's a narrow, dirt road that winds across the tops of the mountains but the views are spectacular and well worth the trip. Just drive slow or bypass if you don't feel comfortable.

Make sure you pick up a 2010 copy of The Milepost. It's a great trip planner and guide.

Have fun... wish we were going too!

Check our blog of the trip... http://www.wherearethemarkers.blogspot.com/
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We traveled from San Antonio, Texas to Alaska and back in 2007--4 months on the road and 15,000 miles. As far as mountains go, I did not think the Northern Rockies in British Columbia and Yukon were any issue at all. We crossed the continental divide in the Yukon at an elevation of about 4700 feet--not like the Colorado passes at 10,000+. Yes the Top of the World is a gravel road. We left our rigs in Tok and stayed in a B&B in Dawson--sure made the trip over and back on the TOW an easy drive. MilePosts and Church's Alaska Camping Guide are a must. I think the drive up and down the Alaska Highway is well worth the effort--I enjoyed every mile and will return soon. We stayed in Soldotna on the Kenai for 33 days. This allowed plenty of fishing time, sightseeting and relaxing. Just drive carefully to avoid hitting the frost heaves in the road to hard. Check out our travel website for our trip journal or send me a PM if you have any questions. Have a Blast!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
We are planning on leaving NY June 14 and heading to Alaska. Have been told by some to drive on the Canadian side of the border. Not sure how to go yet. Have been told by many that its a great trip. I'm planning on new tires and shocks for the 5r before we start out.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Don't forget your passport to make border crossing easy. If you don't want to drive through Canada, you can pay the expensive price and catch the Alaska State Ferry in Bellingham, WA (about 60 miles north of Seattle). The Southeast Passage is phenomenal. Putting the TV/RV on it is pricey but what a route! You can also get off the ferry in any of the smaller Alaska towns in the passage and stay a day or two, then hop back on. The ferry handlers are very good at managing ferry hoppers.

You can take the ferry north, and drive back via Yukon Territory/British Columbia or vice versa.

If you want any part of the ferry, you can try to reserve a cabin (good luck and reserve early and the cabin's are like closets and a separate charge), or do what we did one year, we pitched a very stable tent on the rear Sundeck for our lodging, and either brought our lunches up from our vehicle or bought from their cafeteria but beware, they do run out. You can still visit all parts of the ferry decks. It's fun to sleep in the waterproofed tent even in the rain. DON'T forget the DUCT tape to tape the tent down because you can't use stakes on the steel deck and they'll make you take it down if it isn't fastened. They don't care if you lose the tent because of the wind when you are not in it, it's more so you don't affect the environment...

You can also try the self-guided tour, but rent a car to do the same things, but the motels are a hit and miss and iffy on availability unless you reserve way in advance.

And like everyone mentioned, study the Milepost. The 2010 issue should be out real soon. You can order it online from here:

http://milepost.com/

Whatever you decide plan early, reserve earlier and you should have already started saving.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I highly recommend going by RV on your own. Forgive my laziness here, but I posted this in other places and am just cutting and pasting. Some has been covered.

First, buy a copy of the Mile Post. It lists all the essential information you will need on the Alcan and other routes. If you plan to stay in campgrounds, a campground directory is nice. I bought a software one from Good Sam's (a camping organization) that works pretty well. It not only has campground ratings, but also is a mapping program that you can use to plot your route and gives approximate travel time and fuel costs. Good Sam costs around $20 a year to join, but members get a magazine and discounts at participating campgrounds, plus they offer discount RV insurance and other 'stuff'.

Carry 10 extra gallons of fuel.

If your tires are questionable for any reason, replace them. I didn't carry extra spares, nor would I if going again, but I would make sure my tires were in excellent condition. You are going to adding 8,000 to 14,000 miles to them, so if in doubt, replace now!

Carry a hydraulic jack with enough capacity to lift the trailer (I have a 12 ton from Harbor Freight).

Once you hit British Columbia, be on the look out for little orange flags along side the road. They mark frost heaves in the pavement. Some of them are really bad.

Handguns are illegal in Canada - period. But you can carry a shotgun as long as its barrel is not under 18" and it has a full stock. You need to pay $25 at the border for a 'license'. Down load the required form on line from the Canadian website so you have it ready.

Animals must have proof of shots - most specifically rabies.

Passports are now required. You can get the forms at your local post office, but not all post offices can process them for you. Apply at least 90 days before your trip.

Unless things have changed since 2006, General Motors' navigation systems do not work in Alaska. Well, actually they work but the DVD has no roads on it for Alaska, so the screen shows you wandering through the wilderness! So take some maps! I suggest the Rand McNally Carrier Atlas. It's more expensive than the regular one, but lists more including low bridges. It comes in two flavors - paper and a spiral bound with plastic coated pages. The spiral is really nice because it lays flat and the pages more durable. Amazon is a good place to get it, and since you aren't going until next year, you might wait until then and pick up a 2010 (the current one) when the 2011's come out, but I'm not sure when that is.

Credit cards a good to use, as the companies will automatically figure out the exchange rate for you - but be forewarned, some card companies charge a service fee for this, so check with your card company before you go.

If you use a special motor oil, like Amsoil, take enough with you for an oil change. Also take a spare oil filter and at least one extra fuel filter. Also carry an extra serpentine belt and the tools needed to change it.

Aluminum foil and masking tape will let you cover your bedroom windows and sky lights on the inside so you can sleep. On June 21, (the longest day of the year) the darkest it will get will be around 2 am to 3 am, when it will get like dusk is around here. Infact, Fairbanks plays a baseball game that day that starts at midnight.

Fuel in Canada is VERY expensive, but you obviously you can't avoid buying it. But you can fill up before crossing, which will save you a little bit. This also applies to propane - fill it before you cross over and you shouldn't have to worry about it while in Canada.

The border crossing going in to Alaska from Canada has three lanes, one marked for semi-trucks only. Ignore the sign because the other two lanes have a roof and pipes that are only 13". Use the truck lane.

Be prepared for construction delays. Lack of roads means lack of detours, so when they are working on the road and need to shut it down, they do so and you wait. We waited over 2 hours near Destruction Bay while they replaced a culvert.

If you don't already have one, buy a torque wrench. Should you have the misfortune of having to change a trailer tire, you will need to re-check the torque after 50 miles. You should also keep an eye on the torque of your axle u-bolts because they loosen too.

Unless you have satellite radio, take lots of cd's. Radio stations in the wilderness are few, and their selection not good.

When you return, you will have a bug collection on the front of your trailer that would do the Smithsonian Institute proud. Wet the cap and use Bounce fabric sheets. Short of a disk sander, it is the fastest way to remove the carcasses. Power washing will help too but take care that you don't remove any trailer decals accidentally.

Check with your cell phone company. Roaming charges in Canada are $.50 a minute. Some US companies offer a 'go anywhere' plan that will significantly reduce this cost. Do not use your computer's data plan (if you have one) as there is no special plan for this and again, the roaming charges will put you in the poor house. Many camp grounds do have wireless now though, so that shouldn't be an issue unless you are wilderness camping.

You should plan on going in the summer months - June through August. We stayed at the Noth Pole (10 miles from Fairbanks), Denali, Anchorage, and Valdez. We liked them all, but Valdez was our favorite. It's called "Little Switzerland" because it is surrounded by mountains. Every area you go to will have excursions available. We took the 90 mile bus trip through Denali Park, the river boat excursion in Fairbanks, and one of the glacier tours out of Valdez and enjoyed them all.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I highly recommend going by RV on your own . . .
Tom, thanks so much for including all the great info re Alaska. Dick and I keep thinking about making this trip. I've copied it and saved it for future reference.
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #9
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We've completed the trip 4 times since 1972 and in my opinion that trip is absolutely beautiful! Hiways and services today are great with all the convieniences that you'll find anywhere in North America. Do the trip, take the time and enjoy!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by footloose

Quote:

I highly recommend going by RV on your own . . .
Tom, thanks so much for including all the great info re Alaska. Dick and I keep thinking about making this trip. I've copied it and saved it for future reference.
Sharon
My wife and I started dreaming about Alaska in the 70's, but raising a family and working got in the way. For our 30th anniversary, we took a 7 day inside passage cruise along the Alaska shore line. The cruise was remarkable, but on the plane trip back, we made a vow to return. We both retired in 07, and off we went. It is/was an adventure that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #11
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
The cruise was remarkable, but on the plane trip back, we made a vow to return. [/quote]

We have been to Alaska 4 times and every trip back has been the same; sad to leave, vowing to return and planning to stay longer. During our 2008 trip we were in Alaska for 75 days but on the way back we were still "sad to leave, vowing to return and planning to stay longer"

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #12
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
I see we have lots of experienced Alaska travelers. I have a question. We had planned a trip there in our SOB because it was getting older, and we didn't mind if it received dings. Now that we have a new Monty we are reluctant to travel the frost boiled gravel roads. We've heard lots of horror stories about how radiators have fallen off from the shaking, etc. Should we wait until the newness wears off of Monty?
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #13
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by footloose

I see we have lots of experienced Alaska travelers. I have a question. We had planned a trip there in our SOB because it was getting older, and we didn't mind if it received dings. Now that we have a new Monty we are reluctant to travel the frost boiled gravel roads. We've heard lots of horror stories about how radiators have fallen off from the shaking, etc. Should we wait until the newness wears off of Monty?
Sharon
You can drive all of the way to Alaska and back without ever driving on a gravel road (Although I would recommend that you take the 104 mile gravel Top of the World Highway). Alaska and the Yukon have two seasons winter and road repair. You can't drive there and back without going through some road repair areas but, you could find road repair and construction anywhere.

The Alaska Highway is over 60 years old and there are millions of horror stories none of which tell you how long a go these things happen. The secret to driving to Alaska is drive slow and when you see frost heaves or construction zones drive slower.

Only you can decide how much it will bother you if your new rig gets dirty, muddy and a few dings along the way.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I like Tom's dissertation but I'll add a few things.

- You might want to use a front screen/cover for the front of the TV to help prevent some damage. Tom is NOT exaggerating on the bugs, and I can vouch that the mosquitoes are as big as small birds. Just remember the large ones are the males and they are the ones that buzz and don't bite.
- Take lots of Windshield washer fluid. It always seemed to be sold out when we ran out.
- You will probably get window rock dings. The biggest problem is not the people that pass you, but the maniacs coming from the other direction at a VERY FAST rate (what speed limit?). Locate the dealer's for your vehicle or autoparts stores on the way in case you need a replacement. The Milepost should help you with this.
- You WILL need to blackout your rig. Cover anything that lets light into the bedroom.
- Take lots of bug spray AND lotion. When the bugs are out, they bring lots of friends.
- Bring a "sign" for the sign post forest if you travel through Watson Lake, Yukon Territory. Chances are high if you drive that you will go through there.
- I would take TWO 6 ton or 12 ton jacks and the 4x4 blocks to go with them. Where you stop to use them may not be jack friendly where you need it.
- Know the fishing license requirements for Alaska and Canada.
- Avoid stickershock. Look in advance for excursion prices. They are higher than anywhere, but money well spent.
- Even traveling in Summer, take your winter and wet weather gear. Freak storms can happen anywhere causing the temps to plummet.
- If not already there, get some flaps for the TV.

I have been to Alaska using all modes, except RV (combinations of Fly, Cruise Ship, Train, Bus, drive self, drive rental car, Alaska Ferry). We hope one day to do this by RV.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
go185
Established Member

M.O.C. #1717
Have really enjoyed all the comments on travel in Alaska. We are planning on driving to Alaska in about 2 years. What are the pros and cons of travelling on your own or going with a caravan. Has anyone went with a caravan and did you have any problems. Did you have enough time at the stops or would you have wanted to stop longer in some areas. Thanks. Go 185
go185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
All very good advice and suggestions, just one comment re The Milepost. Yes by all means get one, but realize that the 2010 version was printed months before you get it, so some of the services available will be closed, and some closed last year will be open this year. Given today's economy I think more will be closed.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sinterior

All very good advice and suggestions, just one comment re The Milepost. Yes by all means get one, but realize that the 2010 version was printed months before you get it, so some of the services available will be closed, and some closed last year will be open this year. Given today's economy I think more will be closed.
Or could have happen what we did: the place we planned to stop for fuel at had burned to the ground a few weeks prior to us getting there, and it was the only place around. Hence the "Carry 10 extra gallons of fuel" advice.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
I love your brown bear decal on the front of our Montana. Just wondering where you got it from or is it painted?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Navigator

We also spent the summer of '07 traveling from San Diego up through British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska.

The mountains are no worse than what you drove through on your trip to Nevada, except maybe the 'Top of the World' highway from Tok, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon. It's a narrow, dirt road that winds across the tops of the mountains but the views are spectacular and well worth the trip. Just drive slow or bypass if you don't feel comfortable.

Make sure you pick up a 2010 copy of The Milepost. It's a great trip planner and guide.

Have fun... wish we were going too!

Check our blog of the trip... http://www.wherearethemarkers.blogspot.com/
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
go185,

Here's some pros and cons of going alone or caravanning (we've done both but never with an RV but the comparisons apply) when travelling to Alaska via RV. I hope others add more.

Solo Trip:

Pros: You "visit and do" only what you want to "visit and do" without having to consider another party. Less planning is required when only planning for one party. You tend to travel faster when not having to check or wait for others only since you do not have to monitor them which allows for more activities. Stopping at establishments is a lot easier if there is only your rig to worry about.

Cons: In the event of a problem you are on your own. This isn't so bad if you can take care of it on your own but for larger breakdowns, hmmmm. There used to be a law that if you have your flashers on the next traveller was required to stop and assist, but I don't know what happens in actuality or if this is only in winter or what other details to the law and there is no guarantee that the person that stops can help as well as you need.

Caravan Trip -

Pros: If you've been to Alaska, you'll know what I mean, but there is nothing like describing what you experience with others who have also experienced it with you. Next, there's safety in numbers in the event of a problem with the "team" being able watch out and assist each other. More minds might be better than less when planning what you want to visit and do. Use FMRS or CBs for conversing on the while on the road - you'll like being able to share a moment as it happens and communicate plans and changes as they happen. Make an agreement about sharing the lead during travel. Remember if you are not the lead dog, then the view is the same.

Cons: Costs may be higher if the caravan plans more activities to satisfy everyone. Much more planning is required to cover needs, schedules, desires and finances for everyone in the party. Spontaneous stops at businesses can be difficult when more than one rig is involved. Whoever follows might want to keep a longer interval between vehicles to allow for reaction to road conditions. If you are not the lead vehicle then the front view behind an RV is greatly reduced if following too close.

Just a few ideas to start and can apply to the OP. This should probably be a new Topic since it's broader than the original topic but hopefully an admin can make a recommendation.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Bob and Nancy,
Everyone that offered advice was right on the mark. DW and I made the trip last year and were on the road for six months and traveled 17000 miles. Roads are generally good with exceptions noted to you by others. Canada fuel prices are higher than in the US. I used 1300+ gallons of diesel and over the entire trip fuel prices averaged $2.95. Canada generally does not accept Discover cards but they do accept most others. You will find RV parks and fuel stops about every 50 miles on the Alaskan Highway. RV parks usually have most hook-ups and averaged $32.00 per night.

Your truck and Monty will handle the trip very nicely. I would suggest though that when you travel a gravel road or go through a construction site rinse your vehicle and trailer wheel wells and under carriage. They use a product on the roads to hold down dust and it is corrosive to metal. All RV parks have a wash rack and costs vary from free to $15.00 to do a complete wash.

I can suggest that Skagway be one of your stops. It's a small town on the Beem Canal one of the deepest fiords in the area. From Skagway you can catch a catamaran to Haines or Juneau. You can drive to Haines but Juneau can only be visited by plane or boat.

Also traveling on the Cassiar Highway (highway 37) stop at Hyder, Alaska which is adjacent to Stewart, BC. If you stop when the salmon are spawning in late summer or early fall you can stop at a US Forest Service viewing area and watch the bears come to the river for a fresh salmon dinner.

Also if you want to visit Ketchican you must either fly in or you can catch the Alaskan Marine Highway at Prince Rupert (or other ports) its only a six hour sail to Ketchikan. We left our trailer in Prince Rupert and stayed at a hotel in Ketchican.

Have a great trip.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote