Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #81
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Maybe not spending your hard earned money on expensive RV parks might make the pain at the pump less hard to endure.

As fulltimers, we have to watch every expense. Since January 1st, we have spent 14 days in our "home" park at $1/day, and 3 days at an affiliate park for $8/day. Total for RV parks.....$38 for 2-1/2 months.

For many of you, boondocking is not an option (your choice), for others of us, boondocking is the only way we can live our lifestyle. We know we are a bit different, we like to be away from RV parks. There are no concessions made by us to live our dream....maybe looking at this as an alternative could make your dream easier to continue.

....and to stay on topic (Bingo). We travel less, sit longer and smell more roses!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #82
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
"What you do today is very important as you spend one day of your life to do it!"
Author: Unknown

The above statement really "rings home" to those of us that have dodged some serious health issues!!
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #83
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave I totally agree with you 100%. I am a Cancer survivor and I know the feeling. I believe if you put things off until you can fully afford it, you may never get the chance. Delaine and me live every day as if its the first and last day of our life. I also think things will be a lot worse next year as for as cost. All the news is about the Stock market, they better start looking to see what is happening witht the cost of oil. My wonderful father in-law has ran a Farm all his life but is looking very serious at the cost to run his equipment, those BIG John Deere tractors burn large amounts of fuel. Even buying off road Diesel his fuel bill in the last two years has almost doubled. He may retire from planting corn and Soy beans just raise Hay, for those 4 hundred black cows. Only time will tell. Good Luck.. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #84
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I retired in February, 2007. I totaled a 2004 Kawasaki Nomad (830 pound bike) on March 16, 2007, one day before our wedding anniversary. Broke my shoulder blade and had some bad road rash. Also some twisting of the inner stuff between the ribs that kept me from moving for a week.

On the luckies day of the year, 7/7/7, on a 2007 Kawi Nomad (about 870# with the fairing and trunk mods) I was doing 50 mph when a truck pulled out and broadsided me. I slid 130 feet on pavement before coming to a stop in the ditch. Broke the fifth metatarsal of the right foot and had some very serious road rash. No helmet on the first crash, but I learn on that one and on the 2nd crash I had promised DW I would wear one. I did. I heard and felt the helmet scraping on the pavement for the entire slide. I have some after pictures if anyone wants to see some serious road rash.

My belief is that I am still here writing this because my God was not ready to take me unto Him.

My point is, I worked a long time to get where I am and to own an RV I really like and to be able to travel when and where I like. I have been given two second chances. Actually more but that's another story. I'm going to live each day as it comes and plan on as many days of happiness that I can get. That includes buying fuel and traveling. I wish everyone was a fortunate as I am.

But then, in your own way, maybe you are.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #85
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thought stream 1:
The stock market is being buoyed by the Fed rate cut expectations ALONE. They have their head in the sand as EVERTHING else is crashing all around them.

Foreclosures up 60% for Feb. Food prices are really accelerating now. Oil seems to be way overvalued and it is not being supported by supply and demand, but is still climbing at record rates (anyone else ever remember gas stations raising their prices twice a day?). Job losses are starting climb alarmingly. Etc, etc, etc.

Yet the stock market rallies on news that the Fed may lower interest rates.

There seems to be a massive disconnect that somehow happened between commodities and the stock market with the actual reality of all these serious, real world economic occurrences.

Not sure how that happened, but the stock market can't suspend all by itself forever, and I think the word "correction" will not adequately describe what will happen.

Thought stream 2:
I heard a statement the other day on a HGTV show. The show's host was approached during a project by one of his assistants, who announced that there was no way they could accomplish something on their project. The assistant said it looked like they would have to "compromise".

The host, who had been working on something while his assistant was talking, immediately stopped what he was doing and looked up sharply. He looked right into the eyes of his assistant and quietly, but firmly said, "We improvise, but we never compromise."

There was dead silence between them for a moment as the host let the statement sink in to his visibly surprised assistant. Then the assistant turned and shrugged and said, "OK", when he realized the host was dead serious about that statement, and that it was not up for debate.

"Improvise, but never compromise". An interesting statement and philosophy there campers... don't you think???

Improvise/Improvisation is the practice of acting, singing, talking and reacting, of making and creating, in the moment and in response to the stimulus of one's immediate environment. This can result in the invention of new thought patterns, new practices, new structures or symbols, and/or new ways to act.

Compromise may be referred to as capitulation, referring to a "surrender" of objectives, principles, or materiale, in the process of negotiating an agreement.

Source: Wikipedia
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #86
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Isn't it funny, the only one'e not worried about a recession are the futures traders and the stock market managers. Since they make money buying AND selling, oh,I forgot Bush,since his oil holdings are into blind trust I guess everything is ok.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #87
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I completely understand folks who will live every day as if it was the last.. and enjoy life while you can and let nothing stand in the way of doing that.I am not a spring chicken and Mother nature take its toll .I feel exactly the same way.....But...how can we do that if the dollars are not there. If the expense of what you want to do exceeds your ability to pay for it...where does the money come from. I need to know..???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 AM   #88
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
quote from dsprik

Quote:
quote:"Improvise, but never compromise". An interesting statement and philosophy there campers... don't you think???

Improvise/Improvisation is the practice of acting, singing, talking and reacting, of making and creating, in the moment and in response to the stimulus of one's immediate environment. This can result in the invention of new thought patterns, new practices, new structures or symbols, and/or new ways to act.

Compromise may be referred to as capitulation, referring to a "surrender" of objectives, principles, or materiale, in the process of negotiating an agreement.

Source: Wikipedia
Rich, have you considered what it costs to own a house?...live in an RV park?....or how much you spent driving to Florida and back?....maybe you need a new dream if you're not willing to improvise to preserve the one you have now.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #89
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hey, Rich,

Good post!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #90
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
News Flash,
US Government anticipated run up in RVers fuel costs and is voluntarily providing us with 2400 extra miles to travel this summer. Assuming you get $1200 rebate and average 10 mpg at $5.00 gallon. It has to help hopefully!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #91
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rich, have you considered what it costs to own a house?...live in an RV park?....or how much you spent driving to Florida and back?....maybe you need a new dream if you're not willing to improvise to preserve the one you have now."

We can tell you exactly what those numbers are.. That is our entire point.

We will never give up our home..That is our primary lifestyle That and all the cost to maintain that liufestyle are intact and will remain so. Our great adventure is our retirement dream and secondary to all else.Apparently we,unlike many others,do not have unlimited resources. We have very good pensions, 401k's, etc/ .We still have financial boundaries that we must remain within. I thought most folks were like that.We improvise and adjust on our great adventure so that we can continue it but not at the expense of our primary lifestyle.. The truck the 3400, winters in Florida, travel are all expendable. Should it ever come to that they will be gone to continue our primary life style..not the other way around. It is all in what you choose and can afford.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #92
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
(quote from Dsprik)
I am curious to see how much CG will raise prices this summer. Don't know how they can when they are already losing business due to drastic fuel increases. It would be like throwing gas on the fire.....
Well I got word yesterday that all Georgia state parks going up $3.00 per day. I camp serveral state parks in Georgia, I do get 20% off for senior.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #93
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Well guys I have read all 10 pages. And this is my feeling I have had 2 open heart surgerys, bad back, and neck, asbestos, bad feet, arthritis, and I thank god every day he lets me wake up. Susie and I will go every time we can. Now we are thinking hard about canseling brandsom 2100 miles round trip @ 10-12 mpg. But I still have to work so I agree with bingo but my problem is I love to go to much. Right now I am trying to figure out how to spend my last dollar the day I die. I will not let the price of deisel make set home. jmho bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #94
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Dad always said that we should plan to die and run out of money on the same day. We was in his 90's and upset because he still had money but was to old to enjoy it.It sounds like we are all on the same page.We have worked long and hard for what we have and we deserve a bit of the good life.We will adjust and slow down a bit but will not give up. My advise to those who are still working and their "great adventure" is still in the future is to plan ahead look 5/10 whatever years down the road and figure out where you would like to be finanicaly then devise a plan to be there. The price of diesel and all else will not make us set home but it will keep us a bit closer and out not as long.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:55 AM   #95
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tom41

(quote from Dsprik)
I am curious to see how much CG will raise prices this summer. Don't know how they can when they are already losing business due to drastic fuel increases. It would be like throwing gas on the fire.....
Well I got word yesterday that all Georgia state parks going up $3.00 per day. I camp serveral state parks in Georgia, I do get 20% off for senior.
We got a note here that monthly rates will increase by $15. I would prefer not to have the increase, but I can well understand it. The park operators (lease) have increased expenses, just like the rest of us. I guess if it gets too hot, we'll get out of the kitchen! (if we can afford the diesel to move)
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #96
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Rich, your posts are right on!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #97
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
How can you not make yourself afford the lifestyle? We have found that you just have to adjust. Less eating out, longer trips and longer at each campground, move less often. We have figured out that the amount we spend on fuel to go to our winter home balances out to equal or less then we would be spending on heating fuel in the stick home if we stayed home for the winter season. Also have adjusted to workamping a little to offset costs of the season and the extras we do want. As long as we are able we will continue the lifestyle we have worked towards.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #98
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
yayyyy!! sold 4 of my carvings this past week! got commission on 2 more, so life is good! : ) think I'll make a sign reads..."Carve for diesel!" lol
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #99
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Congrats, Tom! You're well on your way to a full tank!

I do marvel at people as yourself who have the God given talent to visualize objects or a scene, then convert that to a carving, or a sculpture, or a painting. I cannot do that - way too left-brained...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #100
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen working for the Mouse here at Disney will more than make up for the increases in energy as of late. We are looking good and when we get back home my bus driving will add to the travel budget.. If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen.