Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
boat and bike mounts

Need some advice on how to carry one of those folding boats. DW does not seem to want to let me put it inside. ( I think this stems from what she refers to as 'sleeping with the trolling motor' in our early camping years) I don't want to poke holes in the side of the Monty to mount it
Also, I have seen mounts for reciever hitch, ladder mounts, and pin box mounts for carrying bicycles. What's best?

Thanks

Jd

Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
There are two rigs here in Mayport that have the folders on them. One is bungied to the ladder, the other is a 3400RL with it hanging under the right side front. Both work and the roof is another spot that will hold the folding boats, although I am not sure how you could tie it down up there. Duct Tape?????... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tiffensdad

Also, I have seen mounts for reciever hitch, ladder mounts, and pin box mounts for carrying bicycles. What's best?
I've always had good luck with the "mount for the receiver hitch" approach . Never could get the boat to fold like it was supposed to though

On the serious side - I would avoid the ladder. A receiver mount or even the underneath tray would be better.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Wow, there seems to be a lot of interest tonight in Porta-Botes and hanging them on a Montana.

I posted on another thread that several of us have a set of brackets with rollers which enable you to easily store the Bote under the trailer. I posted pictures of the brackets/rollers some time ago. If you can't find it or need more information, let me know and I will try to help.

P.S. if you closely at my signature picture you can see the Bote hanging under the front of my trailer.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Carl n Susan
I have tried to find your post on this and cannot come up with it. If you still have the information I would really appreciate it.. Thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I remember it, but can't find it either. It was the one I was thinking of when I say it can be stored below. I remember it to be a pretty snazzy modification.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Looks like GORILLA tape would work for the taping end of the deal, whatever needs to be TAPED...
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:

Carl n Susan
I have tried to find your post on this and cannot come up with it. If you still have the information I would really appreciate it.. Thanks
Well I'll be darned. It seems like some things hang around a lot longer than you expect. Here is the posting I made last year. Some of the tiny pics went away so I re-created them. I hope it helps. Come to the Tucson Rally and you can see them in person.

====== original posting =================================

Nice job on the aluminum box. I started down that road as a way to carry my Porta-bote until I found what the price was going to be. Then I looked into using galvanized. It was going to be less expensive but still significant. So I thought I would try an even less expensive solution first. If it didn't work I could always go back to having a box built.

I built three rollers of all thread covered by PVC and pipe insulation. The rollers are connected to the frame by brackets I fashioned out of 1 1/2" strap. Since the rollers do roll very easily, I had to build a front and rear stop to keep the bote in place in case of a sudden start or stop. It also enabled me to put a lock on the front stop to discourage the less than honest element.

To protect the bote from road crud, I went to a discount fabric store and bought five yards of naugahyde material which I had sewed into a bag shape to fit the bote. It works very well and has the added bonus of protecting the bote from the ground when I expand it.

Rear bracket - http://i30.tinypic.com/rmo4sm.jpg

Front bracket - http://i31.tinypic.com/141mbtg.jpg

Front bracket Latch - http://i30.tinypic.com/kd8q4l.jpg

All three brackets - http://i7.tinypic.com/256h0qp.jpg

It has been on two trips and over 1,000 miles without a problem. The bote is easy to load and unload. No problems with clearance but I don't expect to take it off road either. Materials were less than $50. The sewing of the bag was outsourced (my wife brokered that part of the job) and I am told I don't want to know what it cost. :-(

==== end of original post ==============

This rack now has traveled over 10,000 miles without any problems. It has worked very well and several friends are using the same mounting system.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Carl n Susan
Very good idea. I think I can take the idea and work it to fit my rig. Right now there is a tube the previous owner had for his sewer hose that is now used to store the pin stablizer. I figure I should be able to mount that on or alongside your idea and accomplish both things. What size rod did you use, and what is the covering on the roller?

I knew someone would have a good idea on this forum...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:

...What size rod did you use, and what is the covering on the roller?
The rod is 1/2 inch all thread covered with 1/2 inch PVC. On top of the PVC is pipe insulation to provide some (minimal) cushioning for the Bote. I did wrap some Gorilla tape around the pipe insulation to keep it from falling off.

I mounted my sewer tubes at the back of the trailer but there is no reason why you can't put them up front parallel to the Bote.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
JD,
Could you clarify something for me.
You did mean PORTABLE BOAT?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
yep thats the one. how well does yours work for you. I hope to use on on various lakes as well as close to shore in Tampa Bay and Puget Sound. Both can have some nasty water come up on you with little notice. Thats also true for some of the lakes I have fished in bigger boats that I would like to use this on.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thank you. I was getting confused. I did not think you wanted to have a portable "bote" that folded up. I would like to see one of those in operation.

I don't have one, but when I saw your post I did the research. I told my wife to take a look over my shoulder. She said, "Send me that link!" Oh boy! Another toy. She loves to fish. I wonder what th 14 footer costs.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm raising this subject in the hopes that there are more ideas in how to store a 10' 6" folding boat for travel when towing the 3400RL. I just re-looked at the rollers and that is a viable way. I'm thinking that I would want to protect the polypropylene from rocks, gravel, and other flying debris. Maybe a 1/4" plywood boxed around the 3 open sides.

JD, Did you get your carrier installed yet?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I'm thinking that I would want to protect the polypropylene from rocks, gravel, and other flying debris.
As I said before, to protect the bote from road crud, I went to a discount fabric store and bought five yards of naugahyde material which I had sewed into a bag shape to fit the bote. It works very well and has the added bonus of protecting the bote from the ground when I expand it.

If a box structure is what you are interested in, talk to John DeCastro. He has a sheet metal box (all four sides - ask him why) which is really nice.

Carl

Old 02-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #16
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Waynem,
Don't have it installed as of yet, still waiting for the local sport show to look at and most likley purchase the 14'. They are spose to be on 'sale' at the show. Once have it I will figure out how to mount it. I am thinking of using the roller system idea, but may go with an enclosed box. I have to get under the monty and look at the mounting area etc to figure out exactly what I want to do. I am unsure if I am going in front of or behind the axles. On top of that there has been some talk around here of possibly 'updating' the monty by removing the pin and putting a whole new monty on it.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:35 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jerry,
I had designs on the 14 footer also. After going to the Houston RV Show and seeing the 10 footer (10' 6") and talking to Ken Scully I opted for the 10 footer. It has 3 seats and will meet our needs of the two of us and the dog. It actually will hold more.

Figure $150 off price, plus some free-bees such as oars. After looking at the 10 footer, I really decided that the 14 footer was a little to much. I'm not into deep sea fishing so I will not be going out 26 miles but just staying along the coast line and in lakes. Granted, some of the lakes in Texas are huge and wind chop can get you if you are not careful, but all of the Porta-bote's will float even filled with water. Not that I ever plan on testing that theory.

I'll wager that if you call them, you will get the Show prices over the phone. Just need to decide what size. I also got the 5 hp Nissan motor. It has some stainless steel lower end pieces that were attractive considering rust and wear factor.

Hey, we were thinking of taking a trip down FL way. If I parked next to you, we could get double the labor for the price of one!!!

Edited: Found my paper work:
I'll base this on the 14 footer
Cost $2395
Sale Price $1799
Additional rebate $150
Total $1649
Free 2 step EZ Boat Opener
Free Oars
Free shipping

I was also told that gas tanks would be added. All I would have to do when it arrived was add gas and go. Of course, I had to ask him if I had to open it first.

Additional Edit: Trivia: I have read that of all the lakes in Texas, the only natural lake is Caddo Lake. Half of it is in Louisiana.

"Though Caddo is the state’s only “natural” lake, Texas has more lakes than Minnesota, thanks to man-made reservoirs."
Old 02-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #18
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
To All: I can attest to the statement that the Porta-Bote will not sink when filled with water - I capsized mine on it's maiden voyage! I lost my porta-dolley, anchor, and some other stuff that was loose in the "bote", but I was able to get it to shore and empty it of water. After having my 3.5HP Nissan outboard repaired (it doesn't seem to like being submerged!) I was back out on the water a couple of more times before selling it. This was a couple of years ago and at that time I could not find a reasonable/inexpensive way to attach my 10 footer to our 3670RL. I guess I wasn't creative enough! A word of caution: they are very stable as long as you stay in the center, but they wll "turn turtle" very easily if you aren't careful. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the "bote", but . . . . Happy "boting"! Dave
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Aw Chris! I didn't have to hear that!
I received the 5 hp Nissan motor yesterday. Today I went out and bought a motor stand at West Marine. It's mostly for storing it in the garage.

I intend on keeping the foam shipping that the motor came in and building a thin box around it for transporting on the road. Heck, it was shipped that way!

I'm going to most likely go with the roller and Naugahyde. I spoke with my favorite technician and he is going to do tghe work on his own time. Thinking of moving the spare tire up front and using that area in the back for the rollers.

I'll keep y'all informed with pictures if I can.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carl,
Just sent you a PM
Would like to know if you could send my the specs on the metal you used and any drawing. I would like to set mine up to carry he same way you did.

Thanks.