Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Dgeisser
Established Member

M.O.C. #26900
Airbags

I am considering having airbags/Air springs installed on my 2015 Chevy 2500 diesel. I heard one report of from a mechanic that he feels they have leakage problems. Has anyone found this to be true? The other option is to have Heavier springs or helper springs installed. I think the downside on that is that you’ll always have the rough ride we’re not towing. Any thoughts are appreciated thank you in advance

Dgeisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
When not towing you reduce the air to 5 - 10 lbs and the ride is the same as before.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I had bags on the same truck. Empty with min pressure it rode ok. Any air pressure, loaded or not, ran noticibly stiffer. If installed correctly they shouldn't leak. For me bags are for last resort only.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
If you're looking to increase your truck's load capacity FORGET IT they don't increase anything. If you want to level your truck when towing and improve the ride go for the bags. I have had Firestone and Air Ride both on 2 different trucks and was happy with both and had no problems with either. I preferred the Air Ride bags simply because they and the hardware appeared more robust. If you go with the bags I recommend adding on-board air for ease of adjustment. PacBrake also has air bags and their products are excellent. I installed one of their exhaust brakes on my 2007 Ram 2500 5.9 and loved it and it never gave a problem for 6 years. All that said if I was over my truck's carrying capacity I would move up to more truck.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I love the air bags. I have Air Lift. As stated, they are absolutely NOT for increasing your trucks payload...since they don't. I use them to smooth out my ride. They minimize the small bounces. I have the onboard compressor so pretty easy to use.

Mine will lose a little air when they are just sitting for a few days. But with the onboard compressor they will auto-fill to the last setting when I start the truck...no biggee
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
AZMont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26281
I had firestone air bags on my 2000 F250 Super Duty diesel with a 40" Weekend Warrior toy hauler. Never leaked in 20 years. Mine were air ports in the rear bumper. Onboard air control is a much better option. My truck was also very overloaded. It did ride more level with the air bags. When not towing, I dropped them to 3- 5 psi, the truck rode like stock. If I forgot to decrease the pressure and hit a bump, you really knew it.
AZMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMont View Post
I had firestone air bags on my 2000 F250 Super Duty diesel with a 40" Weekend Warrior toy hauler. Never leaked in 20 years. Mine were air ports in the rear bumper. Onboard air control is a much better option. My truck was also very overloaded. It did ride more level with the air bags. When not towing, I dropped them to 3- 5 psi, the truck rode like stock. If I forgot to decrease the pressure and hit a bump, you really knew it.
Did you haul hot Hot Wheels in your 40 inch toy hauler
Old 09-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMont View Post
I had firestone air bags on my 2000 F250 Super Duty diesel with a 40" Weekend Warrior toy hauler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Did you haul hot Hot Wheels in your 40 inch toy hauler

jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #9
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
My bags leak a little but with the onboard compressor it's no big deal to air them up. I wouldn't tow without them.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Take a look at Timbren products. Many happy owners out there without the hassle of air lines.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #11
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Here's a spring option that doesn't really affect unloaded ride quality (unless you hit a speed bump too fast) .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190825_122806.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	7174  
Old 09-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgeisser View Post
I am considering having airbags/Air springs installed on my 2015 Chevy 2500 diesel. I heard one report of from a mechanic that he feels they have leakage problems. Has anyone found this to be true? The other option is to have Heavier springs or helper springs installed. I think the downside on that is that you’ll always have the rough ride we’re not towing. Any thoughts are appreciated thank you in advance
I have a 2500 Silverado that I had modified to safely haul my 40’ 5er. To do it right you want a spring shop that is authorized to do DOT certified modifications. Its NOT just one spring. “Helper” springs are not enough. Depending on your rig, its 2 or 3 springs leafs. You also need to upgrade at least one load range on your truck tires. I have 7 leafs in my rear springs. I didn’t have the option to buy a new truck, so after lots of research, went the modified route. As far as air bags, they do help level the rig and in my case under load, they soften the ride. I have the Air Ride brand with the air compressor and remote. My compressor recently seized and I'm waiting for a new one under warranty. As far as I can tell, no leaks. I can fill the bags without the compressor, but its much nicer with the an board compressor. If you have any leaks they are usually an easy fix, like just tightening a clamp. As is stated by others, it does NOT increase your load rating. If you are interested in the mods for your truck just private message me.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I had Firestone air bags on my old Sea Breeze motorhome. After 10 years, they no longer would hold air.

I considered air bags and timberens to make my TV ride level and improve the ride when turning fiver. Since my TV has the factory installed overload springs, I went with Super Springs SSS-3 bump stops. They cause the factory overload springs to immediately engage when I hitch up Montana. Rear used to drop 3 inches, now only drops less than 1/2 inch. No maintenance required. When not towing, I reduce tire air pressure and truck rides like a truck, overload springs only engage when going over speed bumps.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Have used Firestone and Air Lift bags for several years on a couple of trucks ... neither leaked. Routing hoses was about a 10 minute job as they are push-loc fittings ... mounting the bags is what take a bit. They do cushion the ride somewhat similar to what an air pin box does. Like noted earlier, they do not increase your trucks tow rating.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
....I have a 2500 Silverado that I had modified to safely haul my 40’ 5er....it does NOT increase your load rating....
That's your opinion. Most on this forum would not agree with that statement, nor would the state officials who pull you over and question your weight. Your last statement is the key statement.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #16
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
That's your opinion. Most on this forum would not agree with that statement, nor would the state officials who pull you over and question your weight. Your last statement is the key statement.
No, thats a fact. No “opinion”. My mods were done by a DOT certified modifier and I have new GVWR and GAWR certified weight ratings on my truck. This certification is documented with a modification placard next to the original manufacturers ratings. These mods were done according to DOT specifications which govern vehicle modifications. Manufacturer ratings are based on the vehicles specs as they roll off the assembly line. That’s as far as they go. Obviously, you do not have the facts as very few on this forum have actually done the research. They just “think” they know. I have already had the state of Texas DOT inspect my modifications and I passed with flying colors. As long as I am not overweight, which I am not according to the CAT scales that weighed my rig fully loaded, I’m good to go anywhere in the nation. You can disagree all you want. According to the “state officials” and the DOT, My mods are not an issue. Below, in part, are the DOT regulations for an approved vehicle modifier:
t49 CFR § 567.7 - Requirements for persons who alter certified vehicles.
* CFR
* Table of Popular Names
prev next
§ 567.7 Requirements for persons who alter certified vehicles.
(a) With respect to the vehicle alterations it performs, an alterer:
(1) Has a duty to determine continued conformity of the altered vehicle with applicable Federal motor vehicle safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention standards, and
(2) Assumes legal responsibility for all duties and liabilities for certification under the Vehicle Safety Act.
(b) The vehicle manufacturer's certification label and any information labels shall remain affixed to the vehicle and the alterer shall affix to the vehicle an additional label in the manner and location specified in § 567.4, in a manner that does not obscure any previously applied labels, and containing the following information:
(1) The statement: “This vehicle was altered by (individual or corporate name) in (month and year in which alterations were completed) and as altered it conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards affected by the alteration and in effect in (month, year).” The second date shall be no earlier than the date of manufacture of the certified vehicle (as specified on the certification label), and no later than the date alterations were completed.
(2) If the gross vehicle weight rating or any of the gross axle weight ratings of the vehicle as altered are different from those shown on the original certification label, the modified values shall be provided in the form specified in § 567.4(g)(3) and (4).
(3) If the vehicle as altered has a different type classification from that shown on the original certification label, the type as modified shall be provided.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #17
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
Here is a link to the regs if you are interested:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/567.7
Old 09-06-2020, 04:00 AM   #18
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I was considering Air Lift bags on my truck, but not because of sagging. I only had a problem with the "porpoising" effect on rough roads, especially bridges and over passes, or any stretch of I-95 in South Carolina south of I-26.
I ended up going with Timbrens and I'm very glad I did. It takes care of that problem and I don't have any maintenance. Air bags can leak, air lines can leak. They eventually require maintenance. Also the Timbrens were less than half the price of Air Lift, even without the compressor.
Installation only took about 20 minutes, too.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #19
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I was considering Air Lift bags on my truck, but not because of sagging. I only had a problem with the "porpoising" effect on rough roads, especially bridges and over passes, or any stretch of I-95 in South Carolina south of I-26.
I ended up going with Timbrens and I'm very glad I did. It takes care of that problem and I don't have any maintenance. Air bags can leak, air lines can leak. They eventually require maintenance. Also the Timbrens were less than half the price of Air Lift, even without the compressor.
Installation only took about 20 minutes, too.
Timbrens are a good system if you want a fixed system. They are not adjustable. Air bags are adjustable. There are many posts from folks that have air bags for years with no leaks. Leaks are easy to fix unless it’s the air bags themselves, and usually those are easy fixes as well.The on board air compressor with blue tooth remote allows you to make adjustments on the fly and fine tune your ride. When not towing I deflate to about 8 lbs. and it helps smooth the ride. When towing I usually inflate to around 15 - 20 pounds and really helps with the hard bumps and noticeably smooths out the ride. For me, I like being able to make the adjustments. Just depends on what you are looking for.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #20
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
No, thats a fact. No “opinion”. My mods were done by a DOT certified modifier and I have new GVWR and GAWR certified weight ratings on my truck. This certification is documented with a modification placard next to the original manufacturers ratings. These mods were done according to DOT specifications which govern vehicle modifications. Manufacturer ratings are based on the vehicles specs as they roll off the assembly line. That’s as far as they go. Obviously, you do not have the facts as very few on this forum have actually done the research. They just “think” they know. I have already had the state of Texas DOT inspect my modifications and I passed with flying colors. As long as I am not overweight, which I am not according to the CAT scales that weighed my rig fully loaded, I’m good to go anywhere in the nation. You can disagree all you want. According to the “state officials” and the DOT, My mods are not an issue..
I am honestly intrigued. Pictures would be very helpful.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airsprings, leaf springs