Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
CA Non Commercial Drivers License Requirements

Here they are as promised
Noncommercial Class A Requirements
Adults:
To obtain an original noncommercial Class A license, you must:
* Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
* Pay the application fee.
* Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application
* Pass the basic Class C law test (unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past 12 months).
* Pass the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test.
* Pass a vision test.
* Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
* Pass the skills test.
* Pass a driving test towing the type of vehicle you wish to tow.

Minors

* Complete the items listed above
* Meet the additional requirements listed in the California Driver Handbook in the Provisional License section.

Examinations:

* Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers Law test. You must pass the law test based on the information contained in this booklet. You may take the test at any DMV field office. You may make an appointment online at www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-921-1117, DMV's 24/7 voice recognition service.
* Visual Safety Check. Before the pre-trip inspection test, you must demonstrate that the turn signals, brake lights, horn, and emergency flashers are working. This is not part of your pre-trip test. If any of these items are not working properly or are missing, your driving test will be postponed.
* Pre-Trip inspection test. The pre-trip test is a knowledge test. You must identify and explain the features and equipment on the vehicle which should be inspected before operating the vehicle. If your vehicle is equipped with air brakes, you must demonstrate and explain how the air brake system works. Inoperable, missing, or unsafe equipment will postpone the driving test.
* Skills tests. Skills tests are designed to demonstrate your skill in stopping, backing in a straight line, completing a right turn around a cone or marker, and backing into a camping space. These tests are done at low speed and test how well you can maneuver the vehicle. You may make an appointment online at www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-921-1117, DMV's 24/7 voice recognition service.
* Driving test. The driving test includes entering and exiting a freeway, freeway driving with lane changes, right and left turns into one-way and two-way traffic, railroad crossings, driving on a grade or steep hill, etc. You may make an appointment by calling 1-800-777-0133. At this time online appointments are not available for driving tests.
* Health Questionnaire. A Health Questionnaire (DL 546) form is required and must be given to DMV for review and approval before your license is issued and then every two years after that. The Health Questionnaire expires two years from your signature date. Failure to maintain a valid Health Questionnaire form with DMV will mean that your license is valid only for Class C and, if endorsed, for Class M1 or M2 vehicles. The Health Questionnaire forms are available online at www.dmv.ca.gov.

Here is a link to the Health Questionare
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/dl/dl546.htm

Thanks Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Does Ca have a class B or just class A? Here in Ohio, I have a class B for school bus and was wondering the difference.
Everything that is required for Ca class A is on our class B plus we also have to stop and pick up and drop off passengers. We even had to parallel park the bus, real fun!
Class A here is for commercial and B is for noncommercial in Ohio.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate those vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways. The Act retained the State's right to issue a driver's license, but established minimum national standards which States must meet when licensing CMV drivers. "

the CDl standard is Federal mandated standard and is the same in ALL States. If I should move to Flordia and get a Flordia Drivers License I do NOT need to take another CDL rest. Several States have come up with CDl standards of there own regarding Rv's because Rv's do NOT fall under the CDL requirements. There is no such thing as a Flordia or California COMMERIAL drivers license. The CDL that I hold is good in any state at any time. I would guess that if you already hold a Class A or Class B CDL in ANY state you would not need to take any kind of additional testing????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Bob isn't thats the same info I sent to you on the other thred?

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24971

TT2
Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
TT@ you had me checking there for a minute because I was looking and researching allot yesterday but no I as you can see above posted this at 4:46:35pm yesterday and on the other thread you posted yours at
Posted - Oct 21 2007 : 7:50:32 PM Show Profile Email Poster Visit Trailer Trash 2's Homepage Send Trailer Trash 2 a Private Message Reply with Quote
I received mine and signed it and sent it back and thats all there was to it. DMV doesnt require a doctors signsture on this form just where your health care is and the doctors name.
Oh there is no driving test for an endorcement on a class "C"

http://i24.tinypic.com/331qan7.jpg

Look at the last sentance in section 2 of required medical report, that is all I filled out for DMV

I am assuming that that is what you are referring to. Anyway I am not trying to steal anyones thunder I was just researching posting and viewing posts most of the day so as you we can inform as many as are interested.
Bob
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMccord

TT@ you had me checking there for a minute because I was looking and researching allot yesterday but no I as you can see above posted this at 4:46:35pm yesterday and on the other thread you posted yours at
Posted - Oct 21 2007 : 7:50:32 PM Show Profile Email Poster Visit Trailer Trash 2's Homepage Send Trailer Trash 2 a Private Message Reply with Quote
I received mine and signed it and sent it back and thats all there was to it. DMV doesnt require a doctors signsture on this form just where your health care is and the doctors name.
Oh there is no driving test for an endorcement on a class "C"

http://i24.tinypic.com/331qan7.jpg

Look at the last sentance in section 2 of required medical report, that is all I filled out for DMV

I am assuming that that is what you are referring to. Anyway I am not trying to steal anyones thunder I was just researching posting and viewing posts most of the day so as you we can inform as many as are interested.
Bob
Not worried about any thunder I was just wondering why there was two diferant post on the same subject from you.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Bob, Thanks for starting this thread, I wasn't aware of this new requirement.

I had some extra time this afternoon and went to the local DMV office. Told the clerk I wanted a Recreational Trailer Endorsement. She said she had never done one and then told me I needed a fill out a Health Questionnaire and pay a $26.00 fee to DMV. I told her no and showed her in their booklet what the requirements are. After I completed the law test she and another clerk couldn't their answer sheet. Finally found it, I missed one question. Missed three, and you fail.

So now I tow my 14,200# Montana legally in our great state.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
California has opened a can can of worms with their so called Rv endorsement. Most of the testing requirements are taken from the federal mandated CDL testing requirements but they are all jumbled up. First the Rv endorsement is a rider on the Calif license and NOT in any way a CDL license. So I hold Class "B" CDL license this is the definition..

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR

So my 3400 Montana and the 1 ton Ford is NOT a single Vehicle but a "combination of vehicles" and the Montana has a GVWR of over 10K.... as defined in a "Class A' CDL

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Of course we have no problem because we are NOT a commerical vehicle..However..we COULd be a commerical vehicle. If I were delivering that same 3400 from the Montana Factory to a dealer anywhere I would be "for Hire" and subject to the CDL requirements. Which would seem to indicate I needed a Class A CDL...Well I give up so I called State of Ohio BMV in Columbus, described the above conditions and asked what class license I needed. They asked...1. Are you carrying passengers... answer..NO 2. Are you UNDER 26,001 LBS total...answer yes... I need a Class B CDL which I have. They go by weight in this case...The reason I asked the question in the first place was that IF Ohio came up with RV testing would my Class B CDL cover that...answer at least today..is yes..
Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The "so called RV endorsement" is not new. It's been on the books for a long time. And like I said... you can probably drive your entire RV lifetime and not get called on this issue. It is not complicated and not terribly intrusive. Not even an additional fee for it if you are NOT within 6 months of renewing your license.

I think we can all rest easy knowing that this is something that is seldom enforced. Actually the hardest part of the process is getting someone in the DMV that even knows what you're talking about. This would indicate to me that we don't really need to worry too much about this issue.

Just do what you think is right..... And let's be safe out there!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
You are correct Hamrad.

A few years ago we heard about the endorsement so I talked with CHP and the local DMV office and no one knew about the endorsement. I finally found a woman at the main DMV office in Sacramento that had heard something about it but didn't know anything.

We live in the Sacramento valley of California and haven't had any problems (knock on wood) with being stopped.

I pull our Montana by myself alot and have passed many law enforcement officers over the last 5 years and never has one given me a second look.

We decided to wait and do it if it becomes an issue.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This sort of falls in tye CDl category and how things can be misinterpreted. We were looking to drive a Bus at Disney in Flordia to help defray some of the expenses of wintering. Wedrive busses here in Ohio..all kinds and have a Federal mandated class "B" CDL. The question to Disney was.. What kind of License do I need to drive a bus part time for the winter at Disney. I would get answers like..you need a Flordia CDL..well there is no such thing as a ..Flordia CDL as the Federal mandated CDl is nationwide..Although I have ONE license it is actually two..It is a Oho Drivers license AND a Federal mandated CDL and it is so stated on the license.Any how we finally found a prson at the Disney Job line who knew the answer, so for those who may be interested. You need to have a Valid State (Any State) drivers license and a Federal mandated CDL for a period of 7 years. That is it.